Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Cold smoked salmon  (Read 570 times)

CarrieAnn

• WKC Brave
Cold smoked salmon
« on: July 08, 2018, 03:27:05 AM »
This has been a weekend of new adventures. Friday my daughters and I made sushi at home (my oldest and I took a class this spring) and I had gone to the local fishmonger to buy the recommended Faroe Island salmon. We had some decent sized pieces of that fillet leftover and as it was “sushi grade” it was perfect for cold smoked salmon, something she had been asking for.

I used Steven Raichlein’s recipe. First, the cure.
That goes on and into the coldest part of your fridge for 24-48 hours.

Then you rinse and soak for 30 minutes. The texture of the fish really has changed. Then you dry age for 4 hours uncovered in the fridge.

Mother Nature gifted us with a cool night so we parked a roasting pan with ice and the fish on that and set it in my red MBH to smoke overnight with my smoke maze. My maiden voyage for both.

I didn’t have a propane torch or get alcohol to start the maze so I used a lighter cube which I then removed before loading in the fish. She stayed up to check on it about an hour later just to be sure all systems were go and again around 3 am to reload with ice.

I just checked now and here’s we are around 4-5 hrs before finishing. It’s looking awesome.

Definitely a project for a cooler day. Had we had the temps we were pulling earlier this week I don’t know how we could have done this.

I’ll update when we are done and report back with a taste test!

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

Dc_smoke309

• WKC Ranger
Re: Cold smoked salmon
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2018, 05:06:23 AM »
Dang ! Looks like you had some fun with this cook!

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club

bbqking01

• WKC Ranger
Re: Cold smoked salmon
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2018, 08:44:50 AM »
Trippy! Looks like I could be into this...i want to see the results.

Sent from my LG-H932 using Weber Kettle Club mobile app