Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Dirty Pancakes  (Read 1073 times)

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
Dirty Pancakes
« on: April 15, 2018, 08:59:59 AM »
Cooked a little bacon. And then some pancakes in the bacon grease. Well, not so much "in" the grease, but I did leave it in the griddle and tipped the griddle around every once in a while, as the grill isn't quite level.

Had my temp good during the bacon cook, with a full chimney's worth in two charcoal baskets but with the bottom vent at 1/2 and the top vent at about 1/4.

That was until all the constant lid lifting and pancake business. As the coals started to get too hot I also ran out of bacon grease. A last-minute effort with butter didn't help.

So the first ones were great. The last ones were nearly burnt on the outside and undercooked on the inside. But a few seconds in the microwave made the last ones perfectly done!

To the batter we added some semi-sweet chocolate chips. The bacon grease is what makes them look a little dirty.

It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

TheKevman

• WKC Brave
Re: Dirty Pancakes
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2018, 09:02:28 AM »
Cool! Never tried pancakes on the grill before! Smokey flavor, I take it?
A man who has an experience is never at the mercy of a man who has just a theory.

Dc_smoke309

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2018, 09:08:34 AM »
Those look good ! Iv done a breakfast skillet on the griddle .  But pancakes is a hell of an idea . !!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club

Schaefd2

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2018, 10:22:47 AM »
Pancakes on the grill is a good idea! I can confirm from experience.

I've been called the Robin Hood of Weber Kettles.

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2018, 10:39:18 AM »
Cool! Never tried pancakes on the grill before! Smokey flavor, I take it?

Not at all, unless you desire to add some wood for smoking. That's not something that interests me with baking ingredients.

I used regular Kingsford, and only placed fully lit coals on. No smoke from that. And the unlit light up very slowly, as in when doing a snake, so also no start-up smoke there.

In other words you can bake pies and cakes (I think) on a kettle and not freak out your guests with smoke flavor.
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2018, 10:44:25 AM »
...But pancakes is a hell of an idea . !!!!!

I've done it a couple times and tons of other people have of course done it over the years. My opinion is that this is why gas grills exist: consistent heat, and easy to knock down the heat if it gets out of hand.

I don't really need the "romance" of charcoal-cooked pancakes. It's just way too short of a cook, and needs fairly low heat. That's harder to do with charcoal.

Dc_smoke309

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2018, 11:03:34 AM »

...But pancakes is a hell of an idea . !!!!!

I've done it a couple times and tons of other people have of course done it over the years. My opinion is that this is why gas grills exist: consistent heat, and easy to knock down the heat if it gets out of hand.

I don't really need the "romance" of charcoal-cooked pancakes. It's just way too short of a cook, and needs fairly low heat. That's harder to do with charcoal.

I completely understand where you are coming from . I think a lot of the thrill for me is just being able to do it , things most people would never think of cooking on a grill.  People saying “ wait , you cooked that on the grill”??  Lol

Schaefd2

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2018, 03:52:47 AM »
I completely understand where you are coming from . I think a lot of the thrill for me is just being able to do it , things most people would never think of cooking on a grill.  People saying “ wait , you cooked that on the grill”??  Lol
Yup, same here. I have made cornbread on the grill, baked beans, and I have even boiled pasta noodles (but that was out of necessity)
I've been called the Robin Hood of Weber Kettles.