Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Longer smokes - 3 wheeler or OTP  (Read 679 times)

james1787

• WKC Ranger
Longer smokes - 3 wheeler or OTP
« on: February 04, 2018, 05:45:59 AM »
I am going to smoke some pork which will probably go 10 hours. Normally I do most of my cooks on the 3 wheelers but some of the longer smokes I've done - 5-6 hours.. ash starts to be a little challenging. I have this OTP I haven't done much with since I found it on the side of the road... I'm wondering if I am better off trying with that?
Seeking either 56-58 anything or Westerner

Hell Fire Grill

• WKC Performer
Re: Longer smokes - 3 wheeler or OTP
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2018, 06:36:03 AM »
With the OTP you'll need to make sure the damper blades fit the grill properly and are not rusted out, otherwise your temps could go out of control.

On the 3 wheelers I always keep a piece of wire or a stick around, so if ash or bits of charcoal start to block the holes, I can quickly clear the hole by swirling/poking around from under the kettle, without lifting the lid.
You can't always get what you want....but if you try sometimes you get what you need

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2018, 06:41:11 AM »
Three wheelers are awesome for low and slow. I usually do a snake with 2 wheels closed and one open. The open one is under the break in the snake so never clogs. Same principal if you bank or use a basket.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2018, 08:13:16 AM »
You can use either....
RAy's right, a helicopter wing machine needs to fit reasonably well but they work fine......
I got a shoulder going right now that's been on for 13 hours in a otp brownie & the original coals are just now finishing & starting into the reloaded batch......pork's at 153 internal....it's a creeper......
Hoosier's got a great idea too.....just organize so the vent's not under any charcoal."....if you go three wheel, that is........
« Last Edit: February 04, 2018, 08:20:41 AM by 1buckie »
"If you want it fancy there is BBQ spray paint at home depot for that. "
    Covered, damper-controlled cooking.....IF YOU PLEASE !!!
           "But the ever versatile kettle reigned supreme"