Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Christmas leftovers  (Read 1587 times)

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
Christmas leftovers
« on: December 28, 2017, 01:22:25 PM »
Last night was ham and bean soup using Hurst’s 15 bean soup. Their building is right next to Lucas oil stadium.  It’s in all of our grocery stores and I assume it’s everywhere?  I follow the recipe on the back every year and I use original rotel for the diced tomatoes. I’ve never used sausage, just ham. Give it a try if you haven’t. It sounds weird but it’s really good.

Start

Finish

Tonight is turkey and wild rice soup with all of the usual suspects of a chicken and rice soup.

Start

Finish

Both cooked it one of my all time favorite appliances, the Nesco.  I have a 6 qt and a 12 qt and use them almost exclusively for soups and sides. I never put a roast or meat in them which I think is supposed to be one of the primary functions. I like them better than a crock pot because you have infinite control over the heat.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app
« Last Edit: December 28, 2017, 02:42:26 PM by HoosierKettle »

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
Re: Christmas leftovers
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2017, 01:28:03 PM »
The turkey soup stock was made from boiling the carcass of the rotisserie turkey I made on Christmas. I ran the stock through the fat separator the day I made it. If your not making stock with your rotisserie chicken and turkey or store bought roti chicken, your doing it wrong.

Travis

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2017, 01:37:27 PM »
That bean soup looks awesome. It all looks good man. I’ll have to look for the beans at the store.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2017, 02:48:14 PM »

That bean soup looks awesome. It all looks good man. I’ll have to look for the beans at the store.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks!  Just added a finish pic of the turkey soup. These really hit the spot for the cold weather we are having.

mhiszem

• WKC Performer
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2017, 04:51:18 PM »
Those are some good looking soups.

WGA, Uline Green SJ, '95 Red M/T, '88 Red 18", '01 Plum SSP, Patent Pending Yellow

mick

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2017, 10:55:54 PM »
Alright you hoosier LOL I have more questions today. I love when people post things like this because we come across things with which we might not have experience. 2nd time today your nesco products have piqued my curiosity. I looked around for the 12QT seems they don't make it anymore.

My daughter in law was just saying how her crock pot ruined whatever she made and was telling me they come with temperature control now. Well I haven't found those either really, but I did see some crock pot / pressure cookers that look interesting. In the past I have looked at ones with an insert that you can sear the meat in on the stove top then put it in the heating element part... I was leaning that way for a while.

Now yours seems very interesting. I have just looked over these 6QT ones and I'm wondering which cookwell you went with there, non stick or porcelain? I saw some complaints about the finish with acidic food or beans. I know beans can wreak havoc on mine sometimes and I could use liners but Now I have a dedicated smaller crock that I use for frijoles charros. I've never had that residue happen in my other crock with the 15 bean soup you made though. The reviewer doesn't say what type of insert was ruined. I make that soup almost every time I make ham, its delicous, or their split pea beans are also good.

Any other info about your nescos that you think is useful would be great too. Thanks.

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
Christmas leftovers
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2017, 02:52:52 AM »
Alright you hoosier LOL I have more questions today. I love when people post things like this because we come across things with which we might not have experience. 2nd time today your nesco products have piqued my curiosity. I looked around for the 12QT seems they don't make it anymore.

My daughter in law was just saying how her crock pot ruined whatever she made and was telling me they come with temperature control now. Well I haven't found those either really, but I did see some crock pot / pressure cookers that look interesting. In the past I have looked at ones with an insert that you can sear the meat in on the stove top then put it in the heating element part... I was leaning that way for a while.

Now yours seems very interesting. I have just looked over these 6QT ones and I'm wondering which cookwell you went with there, non stick or porcelain? I saw some complaints about the finish with acidic food or beans. I know beans can wreak havoc on mine sometimes and I could use liners but Now I have a dedicated smaller crock that I use for frijoles charros. I've never had that residue happen in my other crock with the 15 bean soup you made though. The reviewer doesn't say what type of insert was ruined. I make that soup almost every time I make ham, its delicous, or their split pea beans are also good.

Any other info about your nescos that you think is useful would be great too. Thanks.

Hi mick, it’s funny you ask about the cook well. My wife loves the nesco too and our last 6qt nesco had a non stick cook well.  The non stick lasts as well as most non stick skillets. Works great for a few years then will slowly start declining in non stick performance. I think we had the last one 10 years. It still worked but it needed a new cook well so we bought a new one.

I wanted to get a porcelain cook well but my wife insisted on another non stick. Our 12 qt is a 20 or 30 year old unit that my mom gave me. It’s porcelain.  Stuff can stick to it a little worse than the non stick but it still cleans up relatively easy.  A porcelain nesco will last you forever. A non stick one only lasts as long as the coating. Once it wears off, it’s much worse than a porcelain one.

Hope that helps. I think both are good with a nod to porcelain for longevity, however, my wife would tell you that the non stick is the way to go.

I just checked and it looks like your right about the 12 qt. That’s really a bummer. They were still available as recently as a year or two ago. I remember then thinking I should buy another one just in case mine wears out. They have an 18 but I would rarely if ever need one that big.

« Last Edit: December 29, 2017, 03:04:46 AM by HoosierKettle »

Bigmac

• WKC Brave
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2017, 07:01:25 AM »
Those beans are our favorite’s. Give me a pot beans and a pan of cornbread and a big slice of onion and life is good.

mick

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2017, 02:57:38 PM »

Hope that helps. I think both are good with a nod to porcelain for longevity, however, my wife would tell you that the non stick is the way to go.

I just checked and it looks like your right about the 12 qt. That’s really a bummer. They were still available as recently as a year or two ago. I remember then thinking I should buy another one just in case mine wears out. They have an 18 but I would rarely if ever need one that big.

Yes it does. Thank you!

Everyone thinks I'm nuts when I buy extra of something just in case, well its not nuts lol. Those 18QT ones look massive!

duff645

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2017, 06:17:43 AM »
Today’s venue:  leftover turkey and brisket burnt ends (several vacuum sealed packets from this past fall’s feedings) - going to take this to an outdoor shelter to feed the homeless.

1.  Savory turkey noodle soup - a bunch of herbs into a cheese cloth bundle, mixed in with carrots, onions & celery.  Adding two packs of egg noodles 30 minutes before serving.  Made about 4 gallons

2.  Smoke Beef Chili - about 8 lbs of burnt ends mixed with 3 lbs of smoked italian sausage.  Chili mix and some red beans.  Made about 3 gallons worth.

Expecting to feed about 60-75 homeless.  Using my propane turkey fryer to keep it warm in 10F temps in the Detroit area
ad fumant, condimentum in, ut serviant

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2017, 06:22:06 AM »
Wow duff, way to go. That’s inspiring. I’ll have to look into doing something like that. I’m sure that will be a very welcome treat in this cold weather.

SmokeVide

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2017, 06:55:50 AM »
Just looking at that soup warms my bones, Hoosier. And Duff's kindness warms my heart.
Brian
Seeking: 26 rotisserie

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #12 on: December 31, 2017, 09:14:07 AM »

Hurst bean co  in the background. I’m at the colts game today.

Darko

• WKC Performer
« Reply #13 on: January 01, 2018, 12:14:30 PM »
That looks delicious. I'm making some bean soup tomorrow with our hambone from Christmas.

Schaefd2

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #14 on: January 01, 2018, 06:25:33 PM »
Bean and ham soup may be my absolute favorite soup ever. I was just asking my wife have it for dinner soon. I’ve never seen a ready to go bag of beans for it though! That’s awesome!!

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club
I've been called the Robin Hood of Weber Kettles.