Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: NY strip roast, another first  (Read 1206 times)

Firemunkee

• WKC Ranger
NY strip roast, another first
« on: December 04, 2017, 02:18:36 PM »
I ended up getting a 7.25# NY strip roast from Wegmans for $6.99, not a bad price for this area. I cooked it between 225-240 and it finished much faster than I expected, only 80 minutes. It also finished 45 minutes before the guests were to arrive, which isn't a big deal because I was going to let it rest. Ended up waiting/resting for 2 hours total though because guests were late.

I followed the recipe from amazing ribs, but used Malcom Reed's approach of pulling it off at 120 and letting it rest rather than searing to 130ish and serving immediately because I wouldn't be able to serve it right away.

Putting it on the grill

Taking it off

Can you catch the mistake I made? Lol nice color though

Overall it was a crowd pleaser. A few things, even though there was only a 1/4 tsp of cayenne it really added a kick. I also used too much smoke and that overpowered the flavor of the beef. I picked two small chunks, one hickory one pecan, but next time I'll do one or zero. For next time I might take it off at 125 so that it is more pink and less red so it doesn't scare people lol. Lastly the most important thing, cut across the grain!!! (Did you catch that in the last picture?) We were in such a rush wanting to eat I forgot to do that. This was my first time making roast so lessons will learned!
Together we'll fight the long defeat.

Firemunkee

• WKC Ranger
Re: NY strip roast, another first
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2017, 02:20:13 PM »
Oh one more thing, I trimmed off the fat cap as best I could but I didn't realize I should have removed the silver skin too. Some people had a tough time slicing and chewing. Another interesting note I removed about 18oz of fat, so the price per pound after trimming turned out to be the same as a rib roast.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2017, 02:54:17 PM by Firemunkee »
Together we'll fight the long defeat.

mhiszem

• WKC Performer
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2017, 02:52:38 PM »
Looks delicious! Great tips as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app
WGA, Uline Green SJ, '95 Red M/T, '88 Red 18", '01 Plum SSP, Patent Pending Yellow

Grillagin

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2017, 03:07:55 PM »
It looks great to me!  I'd be all over that with horseradish.

Big Dawg

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2017, 11:12:54 AM »
Great looking roast ! ! ! 

I agree about the trimming.  I'm doing some NY Strips tonight and I had to do a lot of trimming to them as well.  I find the same is true with the whole pork loins/tenderloins I cook.  i guess they just don't get hot enough to break that down.

BD
The Sultans of Swine
22.5 WSM - Fat Boy
22.5 OTG - Little Man/26.75 - Big Kahuna