Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Impulse Buy: Weber Jumbo Joe - Thoughts?  (Read 2930 times)

Thunder71

• WKC Brave
    • Civil Response Firearms Training
Impulse Buy: Weber Jumbo Joe - Thoughts?
« on: May 06, 2013, 07:33:16 AM »
I bought a Performer, and as an impulse buy I bought a Jumbo Joe a couple days later because I thought it would be good for camping (and be similar to my main grill, the Performer).

We already have a Weber Q 100 that we used without issue last year camping, so I'm thinking I'll take the Jumbo Joe back but wanted to get some thoughts from the crew in case there's some good pros/cons I haven't considered yet.

Thanks!
« Last Edit: May 06, 2013, 07:42:21 AM by Thunder71 »

Hogsy

• WKC Performer
Re: Impulse Buy: Weber Jumbo Joe - Thoughts?
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2013, 07:43:24 AM »
I normally take a Q camping too and always take a charcoal BBQ as well
Usually it's the JJ, but last time I took an 18 kettle and didn't even use the Q
The JJ are great for a picnic or a roast when camping but the kettle is better because of the height unless you've got a table to put the JJ on
I'm only 2 or 3 kettles away from being that creepy guy down the street with all the Webers
                            WKC Collaborator
                        Viva La  Charcoal Revolution

Thunder71

• WKC Brave
    • Civil Response Firearms Training
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2013, 07:47:34 AM »
Good point, I did notice they make stands for both the Q and Jumbo Joe, but with the Q I've either used a picnic table or our 'camp kitchen' table.

Hogsy

• WKC Performer
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2013, 01:46:09 PM »
Yeah I've got the Q stand and the JJ stand looks good but after using little red I don't think JJ will be coming camping for a while
I'm only 2 or 3 kettles away from being that creepy guy down the street with all the Webers
                            WKC Collaborator
                        Viva La  Charcoal Revolution

javahog2002

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2013, 08:31:02 PM »
I took my jj on a vacation.  It took a lot of room in the car. If I had a camper or truck I prob would not care.  You can cook a lot on it . Also , if you stack the charcoal grate on the cooking grate , there is a lot of room inside it for supply's: spatula, small chimney, wood chips, thermo, lighter, etc
SSP '00-WSM 18.5-WSM 22.0-'90 MT-Hasty Bake Cado

reillyranch

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2013, 04:29:24 AM »
After tring to cook on the grills they have at the camp grounds or even at condos we rent,  I have vowed to always bring a small Weber grill with me. 

I have a older 14.5 SJ with the lid holder (SJGold) which is big enough for us, and small enough for travel. 

I say keep the JJ, you will use it. Once your family gets used to the taste of food cooked on a Weber, there is a higher expectation. 

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2013, 04:51:07 AM »

POSSIBLE TAGLINE ALERT   

"Once your family gets used to the taste of food cooked on a Weber, there is a higher expectation.  "
"If you want it fancy there is BBQ spray paint at home depot for that. "
    Covered, damper-controlled cooking.....IF YOU PLEASE !!!
           "But the ever versatile kettle reigned supreme"    

cbpeck

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2013, 12:59:53 PM »
Personally, I prefer the older Jumbo Joes & Smokey Joe Platinums to the current version. That having been said, a compact 18" grill is a handy thing to have around.  :)