Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Low n slow/thermometer question  (Read 1078 times)

kmart-88

• Happy Cooker
Low n slow/thermometer question
« on: June 09, 2017, 01:31:35 PM »

Fairly new kettle owner and this weekend I was thinking of doing a couple racks for my first low temp/smoke cook. I know the thermometer on the lid is not a good indicator of true grill temp and a multi probe thermometer is what you should probably be using, however I haven't gotten my hands on one yet. Should I just wait until I get a multi probe or would tossing a oven thermometer on the grill be suffice? Not ideal having to lift the lid to check temps all the time but should still work, no? Any recommendations for a decent mid range priced multi probe? Haven't been able to find any near me, probably gonna take a run up to Dickson's BBQ in Toronto or just order one online I guess.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

Travis

• WKC Ambassador
Re: Low n slow/thermometer question
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2017, 02:06:33 PM »
You'll find that when you run lownslow cooks your dome temp will come into range with your grate temps. I don't know how long that really takes. Maybe someone else has a better idea of that. I think I'd just go get a regular oven thermo to set your temp in the beginning and just check after an hour or so and see if the dome is within range. It would make a fun expirement

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Travis

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2017, 02:07:32 PM »
Don't wait to buy a probe. It's more fun learning old school.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MacEggs

• WKC Performer
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2017, 02:32:44 PM »

Ya, don't wait … It's the weekend!  Learning is fun.  :D
Q: How do you know something is bull$h!t?
A: When you are not allowed to question it.

Davescprktl

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2017, 04:15:18 PM »
I have a Maverick Et-733 and love it.  I still frequently use an oven thermometer.  To read it just quickly crack the lid.  Works great.  You can get one at wallyworld for about four bucks.
OKP Crimson, 22" H Code Brownie, SJS Lime, 22" CB Stacker, Red Q2200, Performer Deluxe CB slate blue

"If God didn't want us to eat animals, why did he make them out of meat?"  H. Simpson

kmart-88

• Happy Cooker
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2017, 05:32:01 PM »
Yeah I already have a oven thermo. So I'll just give er a shot with that first. Sure it'll still be a blast

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app