Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Sous vide and vortex stuffed burgers.  (Read 1452 times)

MikeRocksTheRed

• WKC Performer
    • The Kettle Cookers (facebook group)
Sous vide and vortex stuffed burgers.
« on: April 12, 2017, 06:11:08 PM »
Stuffed burgers tonight.  80/20 ground beef mixed with McCormicks Seaonsed Salt, garlic powder, onion powder, pepper, and Worcestershire sauce.  Stuffed with provolone using my burger press.  Then a tiny burger with the left overs. Vacuum sealed, which does a good job of really compacting the meat to the cheese doesn't run out.  Normally you wouldn't want to vacuum seal a burger, it would get too dense.  With it being stuffed a full vacuum seal is just fine.   If it wasn't stuffed I'd use ziplock bags and use a pot of water to push the air out of the bags without compacting the meat.  Sous vide at 145 for a little over an hour.  Picked some lettuce from my MiracleGro Aero Garden in my guest bedroom closet then got the vortex fired up.  Burgers were rested about 15 minutes before searing.   Bun toasted indirect.  Resting before searing worked great.  If you don't rest the cheese is too hot and just bubbles out after cutting or take the first bite of the burger. 

I was going to use my slow-n -sear and drip and griddle but my vortex was already in the grill with charcoal in it.  I think In the end I did it right.  The burgers are hard to keep flat when stuffing them, so searing them on a solid flat surface wouldn't have browned much of these burgers.

Also of note, I think I'd sous vide at 140 next time.  I like my burgers a little bit rarer than these were. 

As soon as the burger hit the sous vide, which is why the water temp and cook temp don't match.  It took about 2 minutes for he water temp to get back to 145.

Had a video of two burgers searing but it won't upload.  I'll try it on a reply to this post.

Aero Garden

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app
62-68 Avocado BAR-B-Q Kettle, Red ER SS Performer, Green DA SS Performer, Black EE three wheeler, 1 SJS, 1 Homer Simpson SJS,  AT Black 26er, 82 Kettle Gasser Deluxe, "A" code 18.5 MBH, M Code Tuck-n-Carry, P Code Go Anywhere, 2015 RANCH FREAKING KETTLE!!!!!!

SmokeVide

• WKC Ranger
Re: Sous vide and vortex stuffed burgers.
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2017, 06:24:25 PM »
Excellent idea on stuffing to prevent flattening. Looks yum.
Brian
Seeking: 26 rotisserie

varekai

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2017, 09:27:32 PM »
NICE!  Something else to try
CGA,GGA, jumbo joe, 3-18" kettles,22" blue,green,yellow and 2 reds, 1-22" lid mod for pizza, a genesis silver,2 Red SS Performers,2 26ers,1 red, 1 chief and a Ranch Kettle.

JEBIV

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2017, 02:44:09 AM »
good looking burgers I love my burger stuffer I got from secret santa @captjoe06
Seeking a Black Sequoia I know I know, I'd settle for just the tabbed no leg grill

captjoe06

• WKC Performer
    • Northeast BBQ
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2017, 02:54:40 AM »

good looking burgers I love my burger stuffer I got from secret santa @captjoe06
Looking good kid.  Flying through ATL this week but only a 45 minute to catch flight. Gonna be strapped for time.  Hope you're well!

Sent from my iPad using Weber Kettle Club mobile app
Smokey Joe Black, Smokey Joe Lime Green, Original Kettle Premium Black,'92 Red OTS, Yellow Simpson's 22, 78 Red MBH, '80 Black MBH, '10 Brick Red Performer,'12 Grass Green Performer, '03 Blue SSP, '97 Blue SSP, 18 inch WSM

WNC

• WKC Performer
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2017, 05:20:24 AM »
Looks great, now I want burgers!

hawgheaven

• WKC Performer
    • Hawg Heaven Smokin' BBQ
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2017, 07:40:18 AM »
Dang that looks good!
Multiple kettles and WSM's. I am not a collector, just a gatherer... and a sick bastard.

THUNDERDOME

• WKC Brave
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2017, 10:09:47 AM »
Delicious!

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2017, 10:32:14 AM »
That's some hardcore action right there. Looks great.

Travis

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2017, 11:13:44 AM »
Looks great Mike! Really like that indoor garden.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MikeRocksTheRed

• WKC Performer
    • The Kettle Cookers (facebook group)
« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2017, 12:28:19 PM »
Thanks everyone!

@Travis - That garden is so nice for always having some lettuce around in case a sandwich or a burger happens spur of the moment.  Saves me from by lettuce that will only be partially used then eventually thrown out!
62-68 Avocado BAR-B-Q Kettle, Red ER SS Performer, Green DA SS Performer, Black EE three wheeler, 1 SJS, 1 Homer Simpson SJS,  AT Black 26er, 82 Kettle Gasser Deluxe, "A" code 18.5 MBH, M Code Tuck-n-Carry, P Code Go Anywhere, 2015 RANCH FREAKING KETTLE!!!!!!

greenweb

• WKC Performer
« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2017, 10:00:19 AM »
Looks great! I need to try out the stuffed burgers.

MrHoss

• WKC Performer
« Reply #12 on: April 14, 2017, 11:17:34 AM »
Perfect use for the sous vide. I used to do stuffed burgers all the time and one of the pitfalls in cooking the damn thing through is drying it out......not so much if you sous vide it first....ha ha. When going through the problems a sous vide could maybe fix when I got mine as a gift was just this.
"Why do you have so many bbq's?"....."I just like lookin' at em' sometimes....and I have enough purses and shoes"