Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Enclosed ash catcher  (Read 3959 times)

btomlin

• Smokey Joe
Enclosed ash catcher
« on: February 27, 2017, 07:09:55 AM »
Are the leg sockets on all kettles uniform??  I'm wanting to add this style to an EE kettle as  I like it better than the pans.  I don't want to take the catcher off my SSP to try but may have to...

brewtownbeatdown

• WKC Performer
Re: Enclosed ash catcher
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2017, 07:36:14 AM »
Pics?  You can add a ash catcher to any OneTouch grill. Depends how old it is, to know if it'll require a little modification to fit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Obviously looking for a Glen Blue (who isn’t?😂).

Looking for anything Happy Cooker, including any re-branded as Montgomery Ward.  I’ve amassed a nice collection, but I’m missing a few still.  Let me know if you can help a fella out🤞

btomlin

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2017, 08:10:17 AM »

Do you need pic of something specific?  @brewtownbeatdown

brewtownbeatdown

• WKC Performer
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2017, 08:22:17 AM »
There's a date code on the lid damper. That's the best way to figure the year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Obviously looking for a Glen Blue (who isn’t?😂).

Looking for anything Happy Cooker, including any re-branded as Montgomery Ward.  I’ve amassed a nice collection, but I’m missing a few still.  Let me know if you can help a fella out🤞

pbe gummi bear

• WKC Mod
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2017, 09:00:30 AM »
Are the leg sockets on all kettles uniform??  I'm wanting to add this style to an EE kettle as  I like it better than the pans.  I don't want to take the catcher off my SSP to try but may have to...

I would bet that your kettle is slightly too old to be a pure plug and play attachment for the new style ash catcher. The leg sockets shape is slightly different. Check out my article for more info on the retrofit: http://weberkettleclub.com/blog/2014/03/03/converting-a-weber-ots-to-otg/
"Have you hugged your Weber today?"
Check out WKC on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Weber-Kettle-Club/521728011229791

Bob BQ

• WKC Performer
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2017, 09:02:21 AM »
If you're adding an enclosed ash catcher from a SSP, that should work, as the SSP/older MT's used a cross bar to hold the ash ring, as opposed to the ash ring attaching to the leg sockets.
BBQ:it's what's for dinner. Grail: 18” Custom - "The Californian"

btomlin

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2017, 02:39:54 PM »
Thanks for the info, gents.  My SSP is a 2000 DD and my "new" kettle is a 1999 EE.

I plan to do the "screw to leg" mod on the EE

swamprb

• WKC Performer
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2017, 04:02:25 PM »
No kettle is too old to add an ash can assembly. @btomlin

Simply mod the ring with some strips of sheet metal and bend the tabs to fit the sockets.

It is usually just one leg socket that is offset that and the tab mod is bent to insert into it.

Notice how the tab on the top is bent to insert under the socket

This is a 22" Master-Touch ring modded to fit a 26" Flat-top. Have a rusted out support bar? Dump that POS part and do the tab mod and never look back!

Here is another MT ash can assembly modded to a 22" Silver.

Notice how the top R tab is bent? This mod makes the whole shebang removable without any drilling into the kettle.

Here is an 18" "G" that I took and dropped a late model 18" OTG assembly on. The vents on the older model 18's are slightly larger than the new 18's and I had to trim off a section of one tab and slightly bend to fit it into the socket. You can do this on later model OTG's to 22's as well.

Wiring, screwing or hose clamps are hack mods!
I cook on: Backwoods Gater, Lang 36, Hunsaker Smokers, Pellet Pro 22" WSM, BGE's, WSM's, Cajun Bandits, PK Grills, Drum Smokers, Genesis Silver C, Weber Q's, Cookshack 008, Little Chief, La Caja China #2, Lodge Sportsman...oh yeah! Weber Kettles! Kamado restoration and pit modification hack!

OGlenn

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2017, 07:10:32 PM »
I've seen a few ash ring tabs pushed into the actual leg sockets of performers I've found in the wild. Friction holds them up surprisingly well.

Sent from my KFFOWI using Tapatalk

Uncommon sense seeker