Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: London Broil... My Way  (Read 1411 times)

hawgheaven

• WKC Performer
    • Hawg Heaven Smokin' BBQ
London Broil... My Way
« on: October 01, 2016, 06:23:22 AM »
Picked up a couple of London Broil steaks from BJ's Wholesale yesterday, here's what happened:

I seasoned them with S&P, Mad Hunky's JAB, bagged them along with 4 pads of butter per steak, then into the Sous Vide @ 134 for 6 hours, then seared over the Vortex using RO lump. So tender and juicy... YUM!

Served up with fried brussel sprouts, drizzled with a homemade vinaigrette, sauteed shrooms and sweet onions, and baked Yukon Gold taters. The taters were wrapped in foil with S&P and butter, then placed around the base of the Vortex for an hour...

Thanks for lookin'!
Multiple kettles and WSM's. I am not a collector, just a gatherer... and a sick bastard.

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
Re: London Broil... My Way
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2016, 06:28:22 AM »
Had to look up sous vide.  Never heard of one.  You do some technical cooks if that's the right terminology.  Nice one.

hawgheaven

• WKC Performer
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2016, 06:33:58 AM »
Sous Vide has been around for a long time. I started using this method on tougher cuts of meat years ago, and the results are remarkable.
Multiple kettles and WSM's. I am not a collector, just a gatherer... and a sick bastard.

Travis

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2016, 07:35:22 AM »
Damn nice presentation!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hawgheaven

• WKC Performer
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2016, 03:37:57 AM »
Thanks all!

DarrenC

• WKC Brave
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2016, 11:34:32 AM »
2 questions:

Is London Broil flank, a specific portion of the flank, or a cut all on it's own?

What are your thoughts on the possibility of a hack like me simulating the sous vide experience using a thermostatically controlled electric frypan?
"There are a great many things one can learn to do without actually doing them - Grilling is not one of them" - Alton Brown

hawgheaven

• WKC Performer
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2016, 12:56:14 PM »
2 questions:

Is London Broil flank, a specific portion of the flank, or a cut all on it's own?

What are your thoughts on the possibility of a hack like me simulating the sous vide experience using a thermostatically controlled electric frypan?
Actually, the term London Broil does not refer to a specific cut of meat but to a method of preparation. Why American butchers call it "London Broil" is beyond me. As I know it, it is really a top round steak.

As far as the thermostatically controlled electric fry pan... not sure if that will work... it probably is not deep enough. The meat needs to be totally submerged, in a bag, in the hot water. You could mock a sous vide with a pot of water on the stove top, carefully monitoring the water temp. You don't want to boil the meat!