Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Downward Spiral Kind of Night  (Read 1328 times)

kettlebb

• WKC Ambassador
Downward Spiral Kind of Night
« on: July 27, 2016, 04:28:47 PM »
Not a real good Wednesday night. Got home at 5 and thought I could try my first spatchcock chicken with broccoli and roasted red potatoes. I don't think it was a good cook. Started with a bird that had a sell by date of 7/23, it didn't smell bad or have bad color so I proceeded to cut the back bone and rub oil and spices under the skin. Got the chimney lit and coals hot, too hot. Bird on the grill, went to turn it and the leg quarters fell off. Tried to bring the temp down with little success. Burnt my arm when the grate fell on it trying to move baskets. Just bought the Maverick 733. Got it all set up and wanted to put a probe in the breast and probe in the thigh. You are supposed to be able to monitor 2 foods, 2 BBQ, or 1 food and 1 BBQ. Mode will not go to 2 foods and on the new receiver the bottom backing to the buttons is peeling. I have to call Amazon to get that replaced. Got a probe in the breast and cooked it to 180 because the bird was "old". Pulled it off and let it rest a bit.

It isn't too dry but could be better.
Lessons learned
-don't rush
-add a drip pan with the option to add water for temp control
-cook indirect the entire time?
-return defective Maverick 733

Still learning and that's why I'm here. Any tips you guys have will be put down for next time. Sorry for the rant, just that kind of night.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app
Looking for: Red MBH 26"(The Aristocrat), Chestnut-coppertone (The Estate), Glen-blue (The Imperial), and The Plainsman.

varekai

• WKC Ranger
Re: Downward Spiral Kind of Night
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2016, 04:42:50 PM »
Such are the trials and tribulations of a griller... I find grilling is a LOT like golf, When you do good, you wanna go back and do it BETTER, When you do bad, you STILL wanna go back because you KNOW you can do better...  Whether golf or grilling, its still the best way to spend a day!! (shitty or not)  was it edible?, yes, then GOOD JOB kettlebb!
CGA,GGA, jumbo joe, 3-18" kettles,22" blue,green,yellow and 2 reds, 1-22" lid mod for pizza, a genesis silver,2 Red SS Performers,2 26ers,1 red, 1 chief and a Ranch Kettle.

kettlebb

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2016, 04:55:41 PM »
Thanks @varekai. Great perspective.

Looking for: Red MBH 26"(The Aristocrat), Chestnut-coppertone (The Estate), Glen-blue (The Imperial), and The Plainsman.

Travis

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2016, 06:43:31 PM »
Man, I have them nights too!
I'll normally cook a spatchcocked bird indirect for the entire cook, but give it a quick sear at the end when it's close to my target temp. I don't run probes so sometimes that sear comes when It's at the target and sometimes beyond. Different night, different heat, that's what grilling is for me. I try to be as consistent as possible, but variables, i.e. shit happens!

I'm not sure of the age of the bird because I love shopping in the meat dept. for the discounted items or sell by date items at my grocery store. It's got to be cook that day or frozen, but it's considerably less. Of course, it's not a fresh kill, but I've cooked many things and they are just fine.

Cooking in a rush sucks though.

JDann24

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2016, 12:26:24 AM »
Is the second probe not reading at all or is it showing under bbq?

edit Nevermind, I see you're using the 733. I thought for some reason you were using the 732.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2016, 12:39:51 AM by JDann24 »
Looking for colored 18's and SJ's.

WNC

• WKC Performer
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2016, 06:56:24 AM »
It happens man

Keep at it and try to learn from your mistakes. It seems like you've got a good idea what went wrong and how to fix it.

at least it was just a chicken, and not some steaks

DarrenC

• WKC Brave
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2016, 08:07:22 AM »
You're doing great - Doing a proper postmortem and keeping notes expedites the learning curve tenfold.

As my grandpa used to say - Good judgment only comes from experience, experience only comes from bad judgment.

EDITED TO ADD - try cooking the chicken through on indirect only then spinning the grill to give it direct heat for about a minute each side.

« Last Edit: July 29, 2016, 08:08:57 AM by DarrenC »
"There are a great many things one can learn to do without actually doing them - Grilling is not one of them" - Alton Brown

kettlebb

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2016, 06:23:40 PM »
I'll certainly try it again and do the next one indirect. Good tip on spinning the grate @DarrenC

A side note on the Maverick 733. I contacted the seller on Amazon and I should get a replacement unit on Monday. If it isn't a defective unit, it will be a great tool for the low and slow cooks.