Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: The humble drumstick...  (Read 1143 times)

DarrenC

• WKC Brave
The humble drumstick...
« on: July 20, 2016, 05:38:49 AM »
Sorry no pics - my phone decided it couldn't handle the July heat and went for a swim on the weekend.  Hasn't been replaced yet.

My big birthday cook is going to be during our annual family camping trip this weekend, so last night was just a regular Tuesday night.  A big bag of el-cheapo drumsticks was what I had on hand so it's where we started:

Did an extremely basic H20 based marinade with maple syrup and soy sauce with pureed garlic and ginger.  Cooked the bakers indirect for about a half hour before adding the drumsticks.  About 40 minutes after that spun the grill so the drummies were over the direct heat and spent about 10 minutes letting the residual maple syrup caramelize into a perfect dark gold stickiness without being messy.  Grilled asparagus doused with canola oil and kosher salt over the remaining heat for a few minutes until just blackened.  Served the drummies on a big platter wing-style with a tomato/hickory, a creamy horseradish, and a vinegar/red pepper sauce on the side for diipping.

2/3 of a chimney full of briquettes and I still had coals enough that I could have grilled a dessert too if I'd been prepared.  Man I hate wasting good fire!  :)
"There are a great many things one can learn to do without actually doing them - Grilling is not one of them" - Alton Brown

Mr.CPHo

• WKC Mod
Re: The humble drumstick...
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2016, 07:10:27 AM »
What kind of desserts could you make on the grill? 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DarrenC

• WKC Brave
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2016, 08:36:10 AM »
Creme Brule is always one of my favourites.  Have also done turnover pies with pre-made puff pastry and whatever filling is at hand.  For the extremely decadent, make some huge pancakes, roll them up filled with nutella and banana, brush a little oil on the grill and give them a minute or so each side until the melted nutella starts dripping out - amazing with vanilla ice cream.  Almost any sliced fruit grills up lovely too, especially really high sugar stuff like melons and pineapple. 
"There are a great many things one can learn to do without actually doing them - Grilling is not one of them" - Alton Brown

MikeRocksTheRed

• WKC Performer
    • The Kettle Cookers (facebook group)
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2016, 10:03:30 AM »
@DarrenC  - The drumsticks sound delicious and fictitious (since there is no proof)!!!!  LOL

I've done peach cobbler.  One thing to note is that the smoke will turn clear glass cookware into smokey glass cookware!

http://weberkettleclub.com/forums/bbq-food-pics/creamy-pesto-pasta-and-peach-cobbler-in-the-26er/
62-68 Avocado BAR-B-Q Kettle, Red ER SS Performer, Green DA SS Performer, Black EE three wheeler, 1 SJS, 1 Homer Simpson SJS,  AT Black 26er, 82 Kettle Gasser Deluxe, "A" code 18.5 MBH, M Code Tuck-n-Carry, P Code Go Anywhere, 2015 RANCH FREAKING KETTLE!!!!!!

Mr.CPHo

• WKC Mod
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2016, 04:46:16 AM »
@DarrenC  - The drumsticks sound delicious and fictitious (since there is no proof)!!!!  LOL

I've done peach cobbler.  One thing to note is that the smoke will turn clear glass cookware into smokey glass cookware!

http://weberkettleclub.com/forums/bbq-food-pics/creamy-pesto-pasta-and-peach-cobbler-in-the-26er/
Nice, I may have to copy that.