Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: St Paddy's Entry - tri-tip, potatoes, and cabbage on the grill  (Read 1676 times)

austin87

• WKC Ranger
My girlfriend has some Irish in her (not me, get your mind out of the gutter 8)) and wants traditional boiled corned beef and cabbage the way she had it when she was a kid. She's on cooking duty tomorrow night. It has been beautiful in Northern California this week after a couple of really wet weeks, and my grillin' chops were itchin'!

On the menu: tri-tip, potatoes, and cabbage on the grill

Firing up one of the daily drivers, the 22" green OTG with Zav handles (the other daily is the black 18" OTG)

Nice choice tri-tip

Baby Yukon potatoes, cut in half and tossed with olive oil and salt and pepper. Tri-tip rubbed with Austin's signature and un-repeatable "Dregs Rub Mix" - every time I make a rub and have a little extra, it goes in the container. So at this point, I have no idea what's in it  :o Cooking indirect with a base of leftover Stubbs briqs and half chimney of lit RO lump over the top.

Running about 400 in the dome, probably 325 at grate level. Bottom and top vent each 1/2 closed. Potatoes aren't done when the meat is at 122° - so the tri-tip comes off and gets a wrap and rest in heavy duty aluminum foil while the potatoes keep going, vents opened full.

Get the cabbage ready - just cut off the bottom and quarter it, leaving the core intact to hold it together. Flip the potatoes from cut side down to cut side up to finish browning, and cook the cabbage quarters for 3-4 minutes per side until nicely charred.

Potatoes go into a bowl with minced garlic and butter, cabbage gets a chance to finish steaming and cook through while the tri-tip comes out of the foil and over the coals for a sear.

The meat already got its rest for 15-20 minutes, so no need to wait to carve it immediately

Cabbage gets drizzled with a homemade Dijon vinaigrette (olive oil, red wine vinegar, balsamic vinegar, Dijon mustard, garlic, salt and pepper)

And a few views of the plate:

Awesome meal. Thanks for looking  8)

TheDude

• WKC Performer
Re: St Paddy's Entry - tri-tip, potatoes, and cabbage on the grill
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2016, 10:37:34 AM »
That tip looks awesome man!
Still need a 22” yellow

SixZeroFour

« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2016, 06:21:44 PM »
Fantastic cook and plate up - just awesome!
W E B E R    B A R - B - Q    K E T T L E

Saugust

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2016, 06:38:32 PM »
Man, cabbage with a little chat on it is magical stuff! We eat cabbage steaks as a side all the time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Growing family = growing kettles!

Jon

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2016, 07:41:19 PM »
Nice job. That is a tasty meal.

Shoestringshop

• WKC Performer
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2016, 12:27:26 AM »
That looks great its early in the morning and now I'm ready to start the grill up! Lol
Wife said "No more GRILLS in this house!" So I bought a 2nd house!

Travis

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2016, 02:04:04 AM »
Got leftovers????

SmokenJoe

• WKC Performer
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2016, 09:06:21 PM »
Great color on the Tri-Tip, perfect balance for Patties Day.                            SJ
"Too Beef, or Not too Beef" ...

Looking for Dark Blue MBH 22", Dark Green MBH 22", Yellow MBH 22", Glen Blue MBH 22", Avocado MBH 22".