Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Hanging Thermometer on Grill Handle  (Read 2323 times)

BBQFiend

• Smokey Joe
Hanging Thermometer on Grill Handle
« on: February 02, 2016, 06:37:49 AM »
I just received a maverik 732 Thermometer and I thought I could probably just hang it on the side of the Weber kettle Handle. I'm wondering if that's possibly too close.
Weber 22" Kettle Grill

BBQFiend

• Smokey Joe
Re: Hanging Thermometer Transmitter on Grill Handle
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2016, 06:49:17 AM »
I just received a maverik 732 Thermometer and I thought I could probably just hang the transmitter on the side of the Weber kettle Handle. I'm wondering if that's possibly too close.
Weber 22" Kettle Grill

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
Re: Hanging Thermometer on Grill Handle
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2016, 07:33:55 AM »
Should be fine, especially if your heat is located on the opposite side.
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

MikeRocksTheRed

• WKC Performer
    • The Kettle Cookers (facebook group)
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2016, 08:19:47 AM »
I do it all the time on my 26er.  Usually as @addicted-to-smoke is mentioning I build my fire opposite the handle I'm going to hang my maverick from.  You can also hang it from the ash pan handle if your probes are long enough.
62-68 Avocado BAR-B-Q Kettle, Red ER SS Performer, Green DA SS Performer, Black EE three wheeler, 1 SJS, 1 Homer Simpson SJS,  AT Black 26er, 82 Kettle Gasser Deluxe, "A" code 18.5 MBH, M Code Tuck-n-Carry, P Code Go Anywhere, 2015 RANCH FREAKING KETTLE!!!!!!

BBQFiend

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2016, 09:21:44 AM »
Thanks guys, my next question is about the probe wires. Seems like the most convenient thing is just to run them under the lid. The directions recommend not doing that. Anyone have issues running them that way? I'm not super handy with drilling equipment so I wouldn't feel comfortable drilling a hole or cutting a notch.
Weber 22" Kettle Grill

MikeRocksTheRed

• WKC Performer
    • The Kettle Cookers (facebook group)
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2016, 09:27:55 AM »
Thanks guys, my next question is about the probe wires. Seems like the most convenient thing is just to run them under the lid. The directions recommend not doing that. Anyone have issues running them that way? I'm not super handy with drilling equipment so I wouldn't feel comfortable drilling a hole or cutting a notch.

Thats what I do and I haven't had any problems.  Alot of people run them through the top or bottom vent.
62-68 Avocado BAR-B-Q Kettle, Red ER SS Performer, Green DA SS Performer, Black EE three wheeler, 1 SJS, 1 Homer Simpson SJS,  AT Black 26er, 82 Kettle Gasser Deluxe, "A" code 18.5 MBH, M Code Tuck-n-Carry, P Code Go Anywhere, 2015 RANCH FREAKING KETTLE!!!!!!

Hybridtwin77

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2016, 09:50:06 AM »
Agreed, doing it the lazy man way.  Hang it on the handle and run the wires under the lid, no fuss.
Christopher
2016 MT

iCARRY

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2016, 10:34:19 AM »
Under the lid. Just lay it down on them nice and easy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Big Dawg

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2016, 02:39:19 PM »
I've run them through the lids of my kettles and WSMs for years now. The only probes that have been compromised have been the ones that have I've gotten wet.

BD
The Sultans of Swine
22.5 WSM - Fat Boy
22.5 OTG - Little Man/26.75 - Big Kahuna