Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Rib Tips... Need ideas for a cook!  (Read 1320 times)

Jason

• WKC Ranger
Rib Tips... Need ideas for a cook!
« on: December 11, 2015, 08:53:29 AM »
The family and I were out in Julian, a couple weeks ago, and I stumbled upon a vendor selling "Heritage Pork". I could only afford a small tenderloin and some rib tips  :(

I grilled the tenderloin, like I usually do, and it was fantastic! The texture and flavor was certainly different than the tenderloins I usually get at Sprout's (which is pretty darn good too!)

Anyway, I have 1.5lbs of these rib tips that I don't want to screw up! My biggest fear is over cooking them and drying them out. I am going to search around for ideas and recipes, but thought I would ask here too. Oh, I'd like to use my red mbh for this cook. TIA

austin87

• WKC Ranger
Re: Rib Tips... Need ideas for a cook!
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2015, 10:15:15 AM »
"Rib tips are short, meaty sections of rib attached to the lower end of the spare ribs, between the ribs and the sternum. Unlike back ribs or spare ribs, the structure of the rib is provided by dense costal cartilage, not bone. Rib tips are cut away from the spare ribs when preparing St. Louis style spare ribs." - wikipedia

Usually when I square up spare ribs and cut these off I just throw them on the cooker next to the ribs. They don't take quite as long and are usually the chef's treat, 1/2-3/4 of the way through the cook. Add a good sweet and salty rub, smoke them low and slow (over a pan of drip beans) and just munch on them with your fingers or pull them off and break them into chunks to go into the beans.

MacEggs

• WKC Performer
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2015, 12:24:48 PM »
The possibilities are endless with rib tips.  Here are a couple things that I have done:

http://weberkettleclub.com/forums/grilling-bbqing/k-i-s-s-ribs/msg118454/#msg118454
Q: How do you know something is bull$h!t?
A: When you are not allowed to question it.

effinUker

• WKC Brave
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2015, 12:34:45 PM »
I normally do what @austin87 said, snack while I'm cooking. BUT if you cook them nice & slow, get 'em tender, you can make yourself rib boats.

In a basket with a paper liner: garlic bread base (made with like a turano roll, both top & bottom), nice crispy fries on top of that, tips on top of that, extra sauce on top of it all. They are best if you wrap in foil for a few minutes (to simulate the car ride home).