Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Raising the charcoal grate  (Read 4402 times)

austin87

• WKC Ranger
Raising the charcoal grate
« on: February 17, 2016, 04:50:07 PM »
How do people accomplish this and why? I would assume you do it to reduce the distance to the food that is cooking to get a great sear. Are there other reasons to do this?

pbe gummi bear

• WKC Mod
Re: Raising the charcoal grate
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2016, 06:04:50 PM »
The other benefit would be to increase the surface area of charcoal since the diameter gets larger as you go up the kettle. An easy way to do this is to put a second charcoal grate on top of baskets on the regular grate.
"Have you hugged your Weber today?"
Check out WKC on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Weber-Kettle-Club/521728011229791

Troy

• Statesman
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2016, 06:16:50 PM »
i've done it a few times. I don't think it's really worth the effort.

Easiest ways i've found is to use an 18" cooking grate as the charcoal grate in a 22, or a 22" cooking grate as the charcoal grate in a 26

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2016, 09:15:33 PM »
Something else to consider: to get heat closer to meat sear on an SJ or JJ, reuse the same coals in one of the larger kettles by transporting it over quickly with the WSM ash scooper accessory.

But that would have to be a special-case scenario IMO, usually it's not hard to cordon off heat on a 22 or larger. Charcoal baskets, vortexes and S 'n S etc.
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

kettlecook

• WKC Brave
Raising the charcoal grate
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2016, 09:11:24 AM »
I don't do it, preferring to use the Weber charcoal baskets. The best thing is how quick and easy you can move them around. But why would I?

Take asparagus. One easy way so that I don't have to keep turning each one is to put my rectangular grill pan over the baskets, which I put together, but opposite the normal configuration. (I just figure I get more heat across the pan that way.) So after getting some high heat and a little char, I lift the grate with the pan on it, and move the baskets to an indirect setup. Then I'll finish the asparagus so they're not too chewy for the Missus while I finish my entree on my other kettle.

Obviously,  sear and slide OR reverse sear steak cooks would use the same small amount of charcoal in the baskets for more efficient cooking than if just using the charcoal grate. The main issue with the coals really close to the cooking grate is the flames from fattier cuts like rib eyes and such. In that case you might want to put a cast iron skillet over the baskets to sear the steaks after some low and slow smoking with partially lit lump in the baskets. Really easy if your Performer has a charcoal lighter. Anyhow, hope that helps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

austin87

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2016, 10:25:20 PM »
Interesting. I am a fan of Amazing Ribs and Meathead. He is a fan of raising the charcoal grate. I think he says that is the best use for the smokenator hover grill (turds anyone?!?!).

If anyone has any other feedback lemme know. I'm still interested but and if I experiment I'll let you know. It seems good in theory and not sure if that translates to practical use.

Big Dawg

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2016, 09:48:11 AM »
I've never seen the need for it so far.  Between the baskets, Vortex, SnS, and  my GrillGrates . . .

BD
The Sultans of Swine
22.5 WSM - Fat Boy
22.5 OTG - Little Man/26.75 - Big Kahuna

Darko

• WKC Performer
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2016, 07:04:16 PM »
Just add more charcoal.