Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Apple pie stuffed pork loin  (Read 1753 times)

AZ_MIKEY

• WKC Ranger
Apple pie stuffed pork loin
« on: July 12, 2015, 08:02:55 PM »
Made a stuffed pork loin today. Butterfly cut the loin lengthwise, stuffed it with canned apple pie filling added a barbecue rub. Let it sit in the fridge for an hour. Got the 26er going around 320 and added a couple hickory chunks. Also made carrots and green beans on the 26er with it.

It all tasted really good. The loin was just a bit dry, very good flavor though. Next time I will pull it a bit sooner.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Looking for--- a yellow mbh any size, sequoia ( I know I am dreaming), avocado any size, brownie any size.

1911Ron

• WKC Performer
Re: Apple pie stuffed pork loin
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2015, 08:36:58 PM »
Looks great, it sounds like something we will have to try!
Wanted: 18" Platinum any color will work
This is my Kettle there are many like it but this one is mine......

OoPEZoO

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2015, 04:39:58 AM »
Pork is VERY easy to overcook.  I find its even easier when I do a stuffed loin like that.  I get my best results when I pull it off at about 145 degrees internal and let it sit 10-15 mins partially tented in foil.  Any higher internal temp starts to really dry the meat out.  I know the "recommended" internal temp for pork is 160, but I think it is almost inedible at that point.
-Keith

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2015, 06:24:57 AM »
Thanks, PEZ......

I'm pretty sure they dropped the "safe" mark for pork awhile back to 145f actually......due to better processing & handling methods, things are safer to the point you really can leave a touch of pink to it & be just fine......much less chance of dryness that way.........
Ground meats you might want to go up a little higher, just 'cause of the surface area is different.....

Great lookin' crust & cookup, mikey !!!

@OoPEZoO

http://www.foodsafety.gov/keep/charts/mintemp.html
"If you want it fancy there is BBQ spray paint at home depot for that. "
    Covered, damper-controlled cooking.....IF YOU PLEASE !!!
           "But the ever versatile kettle reigned supreme"    

OoPEZoO

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2015, 06:52:55 AM »
Yup, they did.  Problem is, every piece of reference material (cookbooks, thermometer cheat sheets, etc...) I've ever seen in person still says 160-170.  I had a hell of a time convincing my mother that pork could be eaten at 145.  She always turned pork chops into shoe leather.  I finally broke her when she was cooking a pork crown roast (awesome and impressive cut of meat) last year and I was literally begging her not to take it all the way to 160.  She gave in at 150 degrees and it turned out pretty damn good considering it was cooked in the oven.  I would love to do one on one of my 26ers, but haven't got around to it yet.
-Keith

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2015, 07:04:02 AM »
Yup, they did.  Problem is, every piece of reference material (cookbooks, thermometer cheat sheets, etc...) I've ever seen in person still says 160-170.  I had a hell of a time convincing my mother that pork could be eaten at 145.  She always turned pork chops into shoe leather.  I finally broke her when she was cooking a pork crown roast (awesome and impressive cut of meat) last year and I was literally begging her not to take it all the way to 160.  She gave in at 150 degrees and it turned out pretty damn good considering it was cooked in the oven.  I would love to do one on one of my 26ers, but haven't got around to it yet.

PEZ, show her the gov't. page....older people are more likely to trust those kinds of things..... 8)

wyd

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2015, 07:12:59 AM »
The pork loin looks amazing.
Platinum Performer Kettle (In Blue), OTG (In Blue)
Genesis Gasser (In Blue), Smokey Joe (Uline Lime)
Looking to buy (18.5 blue or brownie and blue lantern)

AZ_MIKEY

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2015, 11:57:30 AM »
I pulled this one at about 152 and let it rest for 15 minutes.
Looking for--- a yellow mbh any size, sequoia ( I know I am dreaming), avocado any size, brownie any size.

Matt_T

• WKC Brave
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2015, 06:23:28 PM »
Great looking cook - and something I'll definitely have to try. 

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Keep it simple stupid

austin87

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2015, 07:00:32 PM »
I'm doing one of these on Wednesday. Haven't quite settled on a filling. This sounds great but I tend to lean towards savory over sweet.

Thanks for pork temp discussion @OoPEZoO and @1buckie - will put it to good use on Wednesday.

WNC

• WKC Performer
« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2015, 05:20:32 AM »
Wonderful idea, excellent execution!

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2015, 06:44:52 AM »
I'm doing one of these on Wednesday. Haven't quite settled on a filling. This sounds great but I tend to lean towards savory over sweet.

Thanks for pork temp discussion @OoPEZoO and @1buckie - will put it to good use on Wednesday.

@austin87 
I've done a pesto & onions one that was good....can't find pics, but if you use liquidy filling balance it out with some Panko breadcrumb to soak up the juice a bit, as it makes things much more manageable assembling & slicing when done......