Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Grilled Swordfish and Avocado with Mango Salsa  (Read 2101 times)

austin87

• WKC Ranger
Grilled Swordfish and Avocado with Mango Salsa
« on: April 23, 2015, 08:48:12 PM »
Kind of forgot to take pics until everything was off the grill. Started a full mini-chimney of K Comp and added it on top of the leftover coals from the last cook for a high heat cook on the 18.5" OTG.

While the coals were getting going I whipped up a mango salsa:

1 mango cut into 1/2" chunks
1/2 small red onion, finely chopped
10 or so cherry tomatoes, halved or quartered depending on size (they were just leftovers to get rid of)
small fistfull of cilantro, very finely chopped
1 habanero, very finely chopped
1 serrano pepper, very finely chopped
juice of 3 limes
salt and pepper to taste

Started the avocado halves indirect, then added a mesquite chunk for a little smoke on the very sturdy swordfish. The pieces were about 1" thick and cooked for 5 minutes on the first side and 4 on the second. Also made a little couscous.

As it was resting:

Habanero Sculpin IPA to go with the meal.

Plated, couscous on the bottom, swordfish on top covered with the mango salsa, and a grilled avocado on the side.

Have a great night, go Warriors!
« Last Edit: April 23, 2015, 10:39:10 PM by austin87 »

Troy

• Statesman
Re: Grilled Swordfish and Avocado with Mango Salsa
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2015, 09:45:51 PM »
it looks amazing.

how was the habanero sculpin? I haven't seen that one around, but I LOVE sculpin

austin87

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2015, 10:11:01 PM »
@Troy the Habanero Sculpin is really good. I don't think it's an ass kicker on heat, but you can smell the pepper on the nose and it goes down with a nice warmth. I hadn't seen it before either, I picked it up at Whole Foods today. It was sitting next to a Grapefruit Sculpin which I'm not as excited about, but will definitely have to try at some point. Sculpin is great stuff.

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2015, 02:39:02 AM »
What a delightful combo there!

Does the avocado separate from the skin fairly easily after being cooked? Worried it'd all turn to mush trying to get it out.
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

Cuda Dan

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2015, 05:28:59 AM »
Nice job on the Grilled Swordfish and Avocado with Mango Salsa. I will have to try some of that beer!
Two '86 Red OT 22's (sold one G), '85 Red OT 22, '88 Red OT 22's, '93 Red MT 22 (aka Donna), '93 Red SS Performer (non-gas and non-casters), '02 Green OTP( my brother in law has it now), '04 Green OTG

austin87

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2015, 08:40:19 AM »
@addicted-to-smoke yeah the avocado slides right out with a little nudge from a spoon. It spent 15-20 total minutes on the indirect side of the grill. It gets really creamy and has a texture almost like room temperature butter but I wouldn't call it mushy and it still holds its shape. You could do it less time, just until it's warmed through. I've also done them over direct heat but only when it's pretty low.

If you weren't sure about the grilled avo you could just chop it up and mix it in with the salsa and that would be pretty good too.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2015, 08:42:26 AM by austin87 »

1911Ron

• WKC Performer
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2015, 08:46:01 AM »
It all looks good. One question when you did the Swordfish was it direct or indirect?
Wanted: 18" Platinum any color will work
This is my Kettle there are many like it but this one is mine......

austin87

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2015, 09:26:19 AM »
@1911Ron swordfish was direct over the coals and they were good and hot

Craig

• WKC Mod
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2015, 09:59:41 AM »
That all looks awesome!

SixZeroFour

« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2015, 10:03:07 AM »
Do you think you could have come up with something a little more creative next time?... I mean... everyone is making GRILLED SWORDFISH AND CADO w/ FRESH MANGO SALSA these days.  :o

;) ;) 8) ;) ;)

In all seriousness though, that is a very impressive cook with a stunning plate-up austin87 - thanks for sharing! 
W E B E R    B A R - B - Q    K E T T L E

WNC

• WKC Performer
« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2015, 01:32:29 PM »
Do you think you could have come up with something a little more creative next time?... I mean... everyone is making GRILLED SWORDFISH AND CADO w/ FRESH MANGO SALSA these days.  :o

;) ;) 8) ;) ;)

In all seriousness though, that is a very impressive cook with a stunning plate-up austin87 - thanks for sharing!

Yeah what Six said! That plated shot looks incredible, I'd order that in any restaurant

chuck s

• WKC Brave
« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2015, 03:24:22 AM »
Great job - agree with all above.... Addicted-to-smoke and I will have to surly put this on the short to-do-list!!

chuck s

• WKC Brave
« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2015, 03:25:51 AM »
BTW - really appreciate the details and descriptions!!  Helps us newbies...

coldkettle

• WKC Brave
« Reply #13 on: April 25, 2015, 03:17:59 PM »
Some good looking grilling there!  And the beer is on my list!  Everything looks great!

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #14 on: April 25, 2015, 04:38:48 PM »

;) ;) 8) ;) ;)

Yeah, geez....what a dud....... :o

Are you kiddin' me?

My taste buds are crumbling at the sight of that !!!!
"If you want it fancy there is BBQ spray paint at home depot for that. "
    Covered, damper-controlled cooking.....IF YOU PLEASE !!!
           "But the ever versatile kettle reigned supreme"