Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Need Mexican sides/apps ideas for cookout  (Read 2316 times)

Sauce

• Smokey Joe
Need Mexican sides/apps ideas for cookout
« on: April 13, 2015, 03:34:48 PM »
The wife and I are hosting a Mexican themed cookout this weekend. I'm grilling up carne asada and pollo achiote for the entrees. I'll probably do turds along with them. So, throw some ideas, recipes my way for appetizers and sides please. The meat will be served with corn tortillas to make tacos with, so I'm looking mainly for ideas without tortillas or chips in them. Oh yah, drink recipes are welcome too  ;D.

Thanks,
Sauce
'07 WSM 18.5", '15 Blue Performer Deluxe, '07 Genesis E-310 gasser, Jumbo Joe, Go Anywhere charcoal.

WNC

• WKC Performer
Re: Need Mexican sides/apps ideas for cookout
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2015, 04:01:43 PM »
Black beans
Spanish rice
7 layer dip
Corn on the cob (I'm thinking of the kind with queso fresco)
Guacamole
And of course margaritas!

Sorry I don't have any recipes on hand, but if any sound good just google it.

seasoned1

• Happy Cooker
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2015, 04:53:32 PM »
Mexican Cream Cheese Rollups   

"These south-of-the-border hors d'oeuvres -- with a cream cheese base -- are rolled up in tortillas, then sliced into bite-sized treasures."
INGREDIENTS:
1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese,
softened
1/3 cup mayonnaise
2/3 cup pitted green olives, chopped   1 (2.25 ounce) can black olives, chopped
6 green onions, chopped
8 (10 inch) flour tortillas
1/2 cup salsa
DIRECTIONS:
1.   In a medium bowl, mix together cream cheese, mayonnaise, green olives, black olives and green onions.
2.   Spread cream cheese mixture in a thin layer onto each tortilla. Roll up tortillas. Chill about 1 hour, or until the filling is firm.
3.   Slice chilled rollups into 1 inch pieces. Serve with salsa for dipping.

seasoned1

• Happy Cooker
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2015, 05:13:19 PM »
Avocado Bruchetta
•   2 avocados, pitted, peeled and diced
•   2 Roma tomatoes, diced
•   1 lime
•   1 tsp salt
•   1/2 cup diced onion
•   3 Tbsp fresh chopped cilantro
•   1 Tbsp minced garlic
•   1 french baguette, cut into half inch slices
•   Olive oil
Instructions
1.   Slice your baguette and brush each slice lightly with olive oil. Place each slice oil side down on a cookie sheet and bake in a 400 degree oven for 4-5 minutes, or until bread is lightly toasted. Alternatively, a hot skillet or griddle will work as well. Place bread olive oil side down for 2-3 minutes over medium high heat.
2.   While bread is toasting, gently toss ingredients together and set aside.
3.   Place toasted slices of bread oil side up and top with a scoop of avocado mixture.
4.   Garnish with cilantro (if desired) and serve.

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2015, 06:37:24 PM »
Sauce, I'll give you and idea; I don't have a recipe ...

Charro beans (lots of recipes online)

Makes a good alternative to refried beans or you can make it like a soup. Probably healthier than refried beans, too. As always, go with canned beans if you want them mushier or soak dry beans for more texture/bite.
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2015, 07:54:10 PM »
You might could do a specialized 'Turd as long as you were going to......

Here's one where I took some time adding in toppings.....

the baby bells got a dab of cream cheese & the chopped lamb mix, a few got cr. cheese & a strip of lamb & some got tiny shrimplets & a strip of lamb.........Surf 'n' Turf 'Turds !!!!

Marked the shrimp ones for easy I.D.:

You could sprinkle some "Mex" spicings on the outside.....mixing into the cream cheese will take too much away from the shrimp flavor....some jalepeno, some baby bells...........lamb or meat could be optional...just shrimp ones are good too......

I like those fixups from @seasoned1  also !!!
"If you want it fancy there is BBQ spray paint at home depot for that. "
    Covered, damper-controlled cooking.....IF YOU PLEASE !!!
           "But the ever versatile kettle reigned supreme"    

Troy

• Statesman
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2015, 08:45:04 PM »
I don't have the recipe, but I used to make these rice, beans, and chorizo stuffed bell peppers. Topped with cheese, sour cream and chives

austin87

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2015, 12:38:29 AM »
Use the recipe for Red Lobster Cheddar Bay Biscuits as a base but mix in a mix of Jack and cheddar cheese, drained Ortega (mild green) chiles, and add chopped cilantro. You could also throw in come cooked crumbled bacon, chopped jalapeρo, and any of your favorite Mexican spices - cumin, chili powder, etc.

http://www.food.com/recipe/red-lobster-cheddar-bay-biscuits-31206?photo=12847

There's really no limit to how creative you can get adding stuff into Bisquick. They can cook on the grill if you want (indirect on parchment paper or baking sheet) and would taste great with a little smoke.

Idahawk

• WKC Performer
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2015, 09:22:09 AM »
Corn cakes with green chiles , chorizo filled  Mexican Mac and cheese balls , empanadas are always a hit and Sangria with fresh fruit

" Esto Perpertua "
Wanted plum/burgundy 18.5
WTB Color Copies of old Weber Catalogs

Sauce

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2015, 07:23:35 AM »
Outstanding! Thanks for the ideas and input. You guys are awesome! I'll throw the pics up of the grub afterwords.

Sauce
'07 WSM 18.5", '15 Blue Performer Deluxe, '07 Genesis E-310 gasser, Jumbo Joe, Go Anywhere charcoal.