Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Lid Hook vs Slide Aside  (Read 1941 times)

hubmacfan

• Smokey Joe
Lid Hook vs Slide Aside
« on: July 18, 2014, 02:44:12 PM »
Hi, all!

I'm planning on buying a 22.5-inch OTG next week. I would like your opinions on the Slide Aside as opposed to just using the lid hook.

Also, just out of curiosity, is the lid hook a relatively new feature? I had a OTG about 10 years ago, but had to get rid of it because I moved to an apartment that didn't allow charcoal grills.

LightningBoldtz

• WKC Ambassador
Re: Lid Hook vs Slide Aside
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2014, 06:00:13 PM »
Many people like the slide aside, I am indifferent.

The lid hook has been around since almost the time they started making Kettles.

I prefer the older Master-touch grills

I am not a collector, but I do have a small collection.
"You can have everything in life you want if you will just help enough other people get what they want"

G

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2014, 08:31:35 PM »
Ive never used a slide aside but have heard a lot of good things about them.  I prefer the lid hook or better yet.....a Mastertouch.

Jocool

• WKC Ranger
    • Sydneyangler Inc.
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2014, 06:09:51 AM »
Does the slide-a-side have the lid sitting lower than it would with the Master Touch lid bale?
If it breathes, we can cook it!

Heyjude

• WKC Performer
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2014, 06:13:31 AM »
Does the slide-a-side have the lid sitting lower than it would with the Master Touch lid bale?

Yes..   I have one on my older 26.  That lid is a beast.  Since they never made the older ones as a MT or a Performer, the slide aside is the best choice. I don't trust the hook to hold it.  8)
I don't care if you don't like my Avatar, its there for me..

DirectDrive

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2014, 06:47:35 AM »
I use the built-in hook and IMHO it's sketchy.....every time you go to hook the lid you must be super careful to ensure that the hook is engaged before letting go.
Even if it's hooked and you let go too early, you might dent a leg as the lid swings down.
I wouldn't trust someone without that special knowledge to do it.

So, I would recommend either the Slide Aside or the lid bail from a Performer/Master Touch (if you're not opposed to drilling holes for the lid bail).
Another option is the lid hinge from Unknown BBQ....not enough feedback from the field on this one for me to recommend.