Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: First Post - WSM 22.5 - Packer Brisket, Baby Back and St. Louis (pic heavy!)  (Read 2142 times)

blieb

• WKC Brave
Picked up a WSM 22.5 off CL about a month ago (my first Weber).  I've been casually smoking chicken and ribs for a long time on lesser vessels.  This was my 3rd cook on the WSM.

I love the temp control (learning) and size of this puppy!  My first brisket on here was good, but I was a little low on the heat (205-215).  My goal this time was (225-235) - once the sun comes up the temp plays nice, but getting started and overnight is still a challenge for me.  I basically don't sleep, but get to come inside thanks to the Maverick. 

Wood: hickory for brisket ... added some apple when the ribs went on.

Rubadubdub:
  • Brisket - base rub: salt, pepper, chipotle, cayenne.  After setting, part 2 was Costco Steak seasoning (Montreal Steak).  Plain beef broth injection.
  • Ribs - sticky fingers rub (give or take):  1 tbs. paprika, 1/2 tsp. salt, 1/4 tsp. black pepper, 1/4 tsp. cayenne pepper, 1/4 tsp garlic powder.  Wrapped and set overnight.  I added a sprinkle of brown sugar an hour before loading.

Pics:

2am brisket on

12 hours, first visual ...

Ribs on ... I normally use a rack, but wanted to see what fits on the WSM.  Was doing less ribs because of the brisket.

It's hot out here, but the smell can't be beat!

Time to probe test (~14 hours).  Yep, red Maverick was $15 cheaper on Amazon ;)

Wrapping for resting, added a little beef broth, stuck in oven (off) for 2 hours.

Ribs after 3 hours.  I wanted to leave them on longer (maybe 90 mins more) ... but our guests were getting anxious

Burnt ends.  This brisket had a MONSTER point.  That's good since people just gobble them up and ignore the flat.  Shot is before putting in the oven on high heat for a few.

Flat sliced.

Few ribs cut.  Babies left, St. Louis right.

Forgot a plate pic ... sooooo partially eaten :)

Here's a spatchcock chicken shot from my first test cook ...
« Last Edit: June 29, 2014, 05:13:17 AM by blieb »
Smokers:    WSM 22" | WSM 14.5"
Performers: Plum SS  | Red Fade SS

landgraftj

• WKC Performer
Wow that all looks great!
Not everyone deserves to know the real you. Let them criticize who they think you are.

Weber MD

• WKC Ranger
Nice cook up blieb.

Craig

• WKC Mod
Well I'm hungry now... Love it!

OoPEZoO

• WKC Ranger
Hell of a first post.......welcome

It all looks great
-Keith

mirkwood

• WKC Ranger
Wow, hell of an intro blieb and welcome to the WKC,  wicked nice cook ups, everything looks excellent. 
« Last Edit: June 29, 2014, 07:39:54 PM by mirkwood »
AT Q 220 / CN Jumbo Joe / DZ 22 OTG / DZ 18.5 WSM / C&B AD Grass Green Performer Platinum / AD Dark Blue Performer Platinum / Black AD Performer Platinum / AD Charcoal Go Anywhere / P code Charcoal Go Anywhere

Welcome to the WKC, it's more than just a web site..

jcnaz

• WKC Performer
Welcome... And thanks for sharing!
A bunch of black kettles
-JC

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
Really. really nice cookup !!!!!!

Brisket flat is just right......no crumble at the edges was how I was taught & that's just so.......

Welcome here !!!!!

What types of kettle cookups have you got going,. as the WSM stuff looks great?
"If you want it fancy there is BBQ spray paint at home depot for that. "
    Covered, damper-controlled cooking.....IF YOU PLEASE !!!
           "But the ever versatile kettle reigned supreme"    

AZ Monsoon

• WKC Ranger
I'm hungry now. Nice work!

blackdog1101

• Smokey Joe
Wow those look awesome!
Performer OTS
Smokey Joe
Go Anywhere

blieb

• WKC Brave
Thanks for the warm welcome y'all!

What types of kettle cookups have you got going,. as the WSM stuff looks great?

I don't have any kettles yet!  One is definitely in my future.  Last few years I've just been smoking.  Love the taste of charcoal and decided to not replace my gasser (long dead).  I should have bit the bullet last year and picked up a blue performer like I wanted.  I have been watching CL for a deal on a One Touch Gold or Performer ... there have only been a couple and they go fast!
Smokers:    WSM 22" | WSM 14.5"
Performers: Plum SS  | Red Fade SS

Troy

• Statesman
Great cooks man!!

And welcome to wkc :)