Weber Kettle Club Forums

Grill Talk => WSM: Weber Smokey Mountain => Topic started by: Easy on July 17, 2021, 12:35:21 PM

Title: What is the best/most cost effective door for a 18.5 WSM
Post by: Easy on July 17, 2021, 12:35:21 PM
I bought a used WSM and the door is not fitting well the metal is very soft and bends way to easy.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Weber Kettle Club mobile app (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=91018)

Title: Re: What is the best/most cost effective door for a 18.5 WSM
Post by: watkinsb87 on July 17, 2021, 12:39:11 PM
https://www.cajunbandit.com/category/weber-smokey-mountain-upgrade-parts/

Cajun Bandit makes great stuff.


Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club (https://siteowners.tapatalk.com/byo/displayAndDownloadByoApp?rid=91018)
Title: Re: What is the best/most cost effective door for a 18.5 WSM
Post by: Easy on July 17, 2021, 04:58:26 PM
Thanks I was hoping to any other options. Cajun is a nice unit.
Quote from: watkinsb87 on July 17, 2021, 12:39:11 PM
https://www.cajunbandit.com/category/weber-smokey-mountain-upgrade-parts/

Cajun Bandit makes great stuff.


Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club (https://siteowners.tapatalk.com/byo/displayAndDownloadByoApp?rid=91018)

Sent from my SM-G991U using Weber Kettle Club mobile app (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=91018)

Title: Re: What is the best/most cost effective door for a 18.5 WSM
Post by: magic mike on July 18, 2021, 01:45:10 PM
Aside from OEM I think Cajun Bandit is your only option.
Title: Re: What is the best/most cost effective door for a 18.5 WSM
Post by: powermatt99 on July 21, 2021, 05:50:53 AM
The flexibility of the OEM door allows you to shape and reshape to get the best possible seal.
Title: Re: What is the best/most cost effective door for a 18.5 WSM
Post by: RRRanger99 on July 23, 2021, 05:41:44 AM
https://bbqsmokermods.com/oem-smoker-mods-by-brand/weber-smokey-mountain-wsm/weber-smoky-mountain-wsm/lavalockr-quick-coaltm-wsm-door-mod-for-18-5-weber-smokey-mountain-or-30-gallon-uds-smoker.html
Title: Re: What is the best/most cost effective door for a 18.5 WSM
Post by: RRRanger99 on July 23, 2021, 05:49:57 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B8kTkLucVR4
Title: Re: What is the best/most cost effective door for a 18.5 WSM
Post by: jcnaz on August 04, 2021, 11:28:07 AM
I'm late to the party @Easy , the stock door will seal better if you install it upside-down. It still won't be as tight as the Cajun Bandit unit.
Title: Re: What is the best/most cost effective door for a 18.5 WSM
Post by: Easy on August 04, 2021, 01:15:19 PM
Quote from: powermatt99 on July 21, 2021, 05:50:53 AM
The flexibility of the OEM door allows you to shape and reshape to get the best possible seal.
I understand that ,I bought this one used and the door has been reworked to many times. My last 18.5 was like a 2008 and the door was thicker material you could reshape it better. This door is l Iike triple strength aluminum foil very soft. Cheap is a hood word.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Weber Kettle Club mobile app (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=91018)

Title: Re: What is the best/most cost effective door for a 18.5 WSM
Post by: bamakettles on August 04, 2021, 01:18:57 PM
A little late here too, I must have missed this post while on vacation.  I really like my Lavalock door - installed on my 22".  They make an 18" version as well, no experience with it here, but probably very similar.  Drilling and painting is involved, but worth it IMO.  I didn't use the nuts and bolts they sent with it, got my own SS hardware.
Title: Re: What is the best/most cost effective door for a 18.5 WSM
Post by: Easy on August 06, 2021, 05:23:21 PM
Sweet big opening nice for adding coal.
Quote from: bamakettles on August 04, 2021, 01:18:57 PM
A little late here too, I must have missed this post while on vacation.  I really like my Lavalock door - installed on my 22".  They make an 18" version as well, no experience with it here, but probably very similar.  Drilling and painting is involved, but worth it IMO.  I didn't use the nuts and bolts they sent with it, got my own SS hardware.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Weber Kettle Club mobile app (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=91018)

Title: What is the best/most cost effective door for a 18.5 WSM
Post by: bbqking01 on November 13, 2021, 05:58:12 AM
I bought an 18" online, got me a Cajun bandit door for it. I really like the looks of that lava lock though.(https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20211113/b87ba76f85242802b832ed059def8225.jpg)


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Title: Re: What is the best/most cost effective door for a 18.5 WSM
Post by: kcsmokinribs on November 13, 2021, 12:04:43 PM
Good decision to go with the Cajun Bandit door IMO.


Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club (https://siteowners.tapatalk.com/byo/displayAndDownloadByoApp?rid=91018)
Title: Re: What is the best/most cost effective door for a 18.5 WSM
Post by: Easy on December 21, 2021, 03:59:39 PM
Thanks for all the input I now have a Cajon door on order for my Christmas present.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Weber Kettle Club mobile app (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=91018)