Weber Kettle Club Forums

Grill Talk => Weber Kettle Forum => Topic started by: cbpeck on June 12, 2013, 04:08:46 PM

Title: New kettles have individualized serial numbers?
Post by: cbpeck on June 12, 2013, 04:08:46 PM
I noticed that the new OTGs and Jumbo Joes have individualized serial numbers engraved on the top vent. I assume they all do now. Anybody know why they changed?
Title: Re: New kettles have individualized serial numbers?
Post by: MartyG on June 12, 2013, 05:17:58 PM
My guess: easier to establish the original owner and limit warranty repair costs. Boxes disappear, but the serial number will tell them when and where it was sold into distribution, and subsequently the hands of one of us. Presuming you register the grill, it's a permanent record that can be traced back when someone calls and says "I need a new lid cause this one's warped". Not that any of us has ever done that. Not at all. No way.
Title: Re: New kettles have individualized serial numbers?
Post by: Craig on June 13, 2013, 12:58:29 PM
Grillfellas had nothing to do with the serial numbers.............. uh............................what serial number? It says AU, yeah..... AU  8)

AU betta get me that ash can or you's will find yaselves going to see Jimmy & Tommy...  8)
Title: Re: New kettles have individualized serial numbers?
Post by: MaxBobcat on June 14, 2013, 12:15:43 PM
I have a 2013 OTG and I haven't noticed any serial number on it.  I do have AT stamped on my top vent though.

I have a 2013 WSM as well, it has AT stamped on the vent as well.
Title: Re: New kettles have individualized serial numbers?
Post by: colin.p on June 14, 2013, 12:50:23 PM
I got a 2013 OTG as well and it is a CN serial number. Yay, what do I win.
Title: Re: New kettles have individualized serial numbers?
Post by: pbe gummi bear on June 14, 2013, 11:51:40 PM
I work in manufacturing  automation systems here in IL and from what ive seen the laser engraving has come about since the automation costs have probably gone down so much that it makes economic sense to do so. A laser engraver can be amortized over a few years, and when registering the kettle they get your email info to like their Facebook page and send you promo offers. Needing people to register kettles will also reduce the warranty costs incurred in a few years. All this adds to the roi on the engraving system.
Title: Re: New kettles have individualized serial numbers?
Post by: Bman on June 15, 2013, 05:43:38 AM
Quote from: MaxBobcat on June 14, 2013, 12:15:43 PM
I have a 2013 OTG and I haven't noticed any serial number on it.  I do have AT stamped on my top vent though.

I have a 2013 WSM as well, it has AT stamped on the vent as well.

I thought the same thing until I looked again.  My '13 WSM does indeed have a # on the vent.