Weber Kettle Club Forums

Grill Talk => WSM: Weber Smokey Mountain => Topic started by: abett on April 20, 2018, 02:34:58 AM

Title: Should I Rotisserie or Smoke?
Post by: abett on April 20, 2018, 02:34:58 AM
Please give some advice.  I am making a 5 to 6 lb pork roast (no bone) and am unsure whether to smoke low and slow or rotisserie on a Weber gasser.  Either way I will probably use a dry rub and then finish with original Blues Hog which I have never used.

What do you think?  Hoping for good advice without automatically picking the WSM for use.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Weber Kettle Club mobile app (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=91018)

Title: Re: Should I Rotisserie or Smoke?
Post by: bigssa on April 20, 2018, 03:55:11 AM
For a roast, I think that a rotisserie is better. A pork tenderloin doesn't have much of fat and collagen that would need time to low and slow cook.
Title: Re: Should I Rotisserie or Smoke?
Post by: abett on April 20, 2018, 04:04:05 AM
Thank you for the reply. It is not a pork tenderloin. There is some fat on it. It is in between a pork tenderloin and a pork shoulder.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Weber Kettle Club mobile app (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=91018)

Title: Should I Rotisserie or Smoke?
Post by: HoosierKettle on April 20, 2018, 05:46:51 AM
Is it a pork loin?  Either way would turn out good. If it's a pork loin, you could do indirect at medium heat on a kettle too. I'd probably lean more towards roti but they always turn out good either way.


Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app (https://siteowners.tapatalk.com/byo/displayAndDownloadByoApp?rid=91018)
Title: Re: Should I Rotisserie or Smoke?
Post by: Big Dawg on April 20, 2018, 04:05:00 PM
The last couple of pork loin roasts that I've done have been on the roti with the SnS and they've turned out pretty d@mn good. 





BD
Title: Re: Should I Rotisserie or Smoke?
Post by: SmokenJoe on April 21, 2018, 09:53:50 PM
HUmmmm, never occurred to me that someone might cook pork on a Roti w/o hickory wood chunks.   Roti or no Roti, I'd be inclined to use charcoal and hickory.  Choose your internal temp and cook it L&S until it's reached.   If you want pork slices, then take it off before it spends all day.  If you want to render everything, then let it go, let it go, let it go.   Of course, it should be noted that, I have two Roti's for my 22"ers and NO gasser.   Speaks to my leaning toward charcoal & hickory, I guess :)

SJ