Weber Kettle Club Forums

Grill Talk => Weber Kettle Forum => Topic started by: kob on January 28, 2018, 04:18:57 PM

Title: Any tried Expert Grill(Walmart) briquettes?
Post by: kob on January 28, 2018, 04:18:57 PM
Saw these at Walmart for about the price of KBB when it's on sale. Since my KBB stockpile from the last sale ran out I figured I would see if these will work for basic grilling. Has anyone tried these out? Here is what they look like. I am going to do a comparison with Royal Oak.
(https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180129/dd4d17d26ba9b8241cb2bd1315059338.jpg)(https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180129/f8f9e49a3ccd4af96678b0bddb2d8f1e.jpg)
Side by side pic of Walmart(left) and royal oak(right). The royal oak looks more quality, but also ~7.50 a bag vs 4.50. (https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180129/df486440cd17d9cc1c6f2fbeeb68ecd0.jpg)
Title: Re: Any tried Expert Grill(Walmart) briquettes?
Post by: crowderjd on January 28, 2018, 04:40:45 PM
Just another store branded Royal Oak...I've used Embers many times (Royal Oak's Home Depot store brand) with no complaints.  Is it as good as Weber briquettes?  No!  Will they do a good job for your average grillfella?  Yes!
Title: Re: Any tried Expert Grill(Walmart) briquettes?
Post by: GoAnywhereJeep on January 28, 2018, 05:44:18 PM
Yup. re-branded RO. My local supermarket has their own version. I have used it and it is just fine. In my case, red bag Royal Oak at Lowe's is cheaper than the re-brand at the local supermarket.

FWIW, look up the patent number in the fine print on the bag. It's for the RO ridges.
Title: Re: Any tried Expert Grill(Walmart) briquettes?
Post by: LiquidOcelot on January 29, 2018, 04:46:04 AM
Cool I literally stopped and looked at is yesterday and wondered how it was also

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G928A using Weber Kettle Club mobile app (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=91018)

Title: Re: Any tried Expert Grill(Walmart) briquettes?
Post by: Dc_smoke309 on January 29, 2018, 05:40:27 AM
I use it when I don't have the extra spending money for my favorites . It seems that it takes a bit longer to get it started but . It burns hot and does the job . If it's cheap why not .


Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club (https://siteowners.tapatalk.com/byo/displayAndDownloadByoApp?rid=91018)
Title: Re: Any tried Expert Grill(Walmart) briquettes?
Post by: kob on January 29, 2018, 07:22:31 AM
Cool. This is exactly what i was hoping to hear. If I'm cooking a brisket or something expensive I will be pulling out the weber charcoal. For quick cooks here and there this stuff seems like it will do the trick.