Weber Kettle Club Forums

Grill Talk => Weber Kettle Forum => Topic started by: Schaefd2 on October 08, 2017, 05:00:23 AM

Title: Story time! My first grail! Worth the read!
Post by: Schaefd2 on October 08, 2017, 05:00:23 AM
I wasn't actively hunting any grails nor did I have a wishlist to complete a collection or anything, but I did have a slight interest in a red 22" to compliment my black, 22" OTS taco (which is very special to me). I figured if I were to ever get a grail of any kind, I would just have to stumble across it while going about my normal business. Which is exactly what happened yesterday.

I have been driving past this house for quite some time and on a few occasions, I could have sworn that I saw a red kettle sitting up against his garage, amongst other junk. But every time I tried to get a closer look, it was a red charbroil POS and a big red truck bed toolbox. Keep in mind, Roy's house is in the sticks and sits 100 ft or so off the road. On Friday, my wife was driving and I was in the passenger seat, so I was able to get a really good look - and it was without a doubt a red 22!

For the next 24 hours, I mulled over stopping by and asking if it was for sale and, on Saturday (my birthday) I finally decided to stop in and ask. I knocked on the front door and a Si Robertson lookalike came to the door. His name is Roy. We chatted for quite a bit as he told me about this grill's previous life. He also cursed the existence of gas grills! He said, gassers "never should have been made cuz without charcoal, you're just wearing a skirt and cooking outside!"

After a closer look, it turns out the grill is a thumbscrew, a Statesman to be exact, barely any rust, all original, even the grate, and Roy sold it to me for $20.

Roy told me in the late 60's, the grill was won by his mom in a contest from a hardware store called Archers in Delaware, OH. (Archers is now the town's library). His mom passed it to him and he used it fairly regularly for quite some time, but now the grill had been sitting there uncovered for several years.

I am glad I decided to stop by, chat to Roy, and purchase his Statesman, which is in remarkable condition! I decided to name the grill, Roy, in honor of its previous owner. Thanks for reading, now here are the pictures!
(https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20171008/6541920e51aba1307e91a5bce8215480.jpg)
(https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20171008/b518e0c51011e79273fbaabee86e2902.jpg)(https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20171008/ad6cb56b520f02527fed52e5ead58c23.jpg)(https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20171008/c371746dff4aab93320f39e9591cdff1.jpg)(https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20171008/07b9def1bca1ec66fe9b50f97d0fb042.jpg)(https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20171008/6664a590cbe4a0d17f82a7d0c61bde66.jpg)


Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club (https://siteowners.tapatalk.com/byo/displayAndDownloadByoApp?rid=91018)
Title: Re: Story time! My first grail! Worth the read!
Post by: Schaefd2 on October 08, 2017, 05:03:20 AM
The daisy wheels and leg sockets have like zero rust.
(https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20171008/1cac2bd8fa3285bf3d6f97f271beca1a.jpg)(https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20171008/110f91cc2db27b1abf97e1f566a0ba34.jpg)(https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20171008/afd47bb8517501a5e4e872cf3dbcbfe4.jpg)

And I used a wet towel to clean half of the lid. Check out the color!(https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20171008/6e6d7174f6526eefad149be244e7e482.jpg)(https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20171008/80058455c3cef16e86b4d7bbfeda9ba1.jpg)(https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20171008/c83248f94f64ba53ef5ecec4fa7720cf.jpg)


Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club (https://siteowners.tapatalk.com/byo/displayAndDownloadByoApp?rid=91018)
Title: Re: Story time! My first grail! Worth the read!
Post by: Schaefd2 on October 08, 2017, 05:05:23 AM
Roy threw in a second grate as well. I'll upload a pic later with just the original grate sitting in the kettle.(https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20171008/1c46d7319ce51b0dd3a6f092a3998cca.jpg)


Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club (https://siteowners.tapatalk.com/byo/displayAndDownloadByoApp?rid=91018)
Title: Re: Story time! My first grail! Worth the read!
Post by: vwengguy on October 08, 2017, 05:07:03 AM
Wow ! Just Wow! What a great story and history on that find. Oh.. Happy Birthday!
Damn... a red thumb screw for $20 is always a killer find in my book. Congrats and enjoy it. Post photos of the clean up and your first cook !


Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club (https://siteowners.tapatalk.com/byo/displayAndDownloadByoApp?rid=91018)
Title: Re: Story time! My first grail! Worth the read!
Post by: db3694 on October 08, 2017, 05:07:56 AM
Congrats !   Very nice.


Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app (https://siteowners.tapatalk.com/byo/displayAndDownloadByoApp?rid=91018)
Title: Re: Story time! My first grail! Worth the read!
Post by: Scott Zee on October 08, 2017, 05:12:18 AM
Congrats on the grail @Schaefd2.  Happy birthday to you!!! I love the fact that it sat outdoors for who know how long and it still shines up like a new penny. You're gonna love cooking on that and WOW...the color change, awesome.
Title: Re: Story time! My first grail! Worth the read!
Post by: JEBIV on October 08, 2017, 05:21:06 AM
Awesome score,grate story and Happy Birthday
Title: Re: Story time! My first grail! Worth the read!
Post by: Mkrause on October 08, 2017, 05:27:27 AM
Happy birthday! You weren't kidding about Roy being a Si lookalike!

Sent from my SM-G930V using Weber Kettle Club mobile app (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=91018)

Title: Re: Story time! My first grail! Worth the read!
Post by: Mr.CPHo on October 08, 2017, 06:02:15 AM
Great story and even better birthday score, congratulations


Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club (https://siteowners.tapatalk.com/byo/displayAndDownloadByoApp?rid=91018)
Title: Re: Story time! My first grail! Worth the read!
Post by: Schaefd2 on October 08, 2017, 06:03:51 AM
Thanks fellas! And I'll be sure to post a few pics after Roy is cleaned up.

Also, I texted @kettlebb about it yesterday right after I got it home. He helped me figure out that it was a Statesman. (https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20171008/6fae2220cbee03abc3de6a51672a7de8.jpg)


Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club (https://siteowners.tapatalk.com/byo/displayAndDownloadByoApp?rid=91018)
Title: Re: Story time! My first grail! Worth the read!
Post by: charred on October 08, 2017, 06:19:30 AM
Great story and sweet find. That's gonna clean up so nice. Roy rules!
Title: Re: Story time! My first grail! Worth the read!
Post by: kettlebb on October 08, 2017, 06:19:46 AM
Congrats bro!!!!! So pumped for you.


Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app (https://siteowners.tapatalk.com/byo/displayAndDownloadByoApp?rid=91018)
Title: Re: Story time! My first grail! Worth the read!
Post by: firedude5015 on October 08, 2017, 06:22:44 AM
That's a great story and a great score!..you will love that grill!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Weber Kettle Club mobile app (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=91018)

Title: Re: Story time! My first grail! Worth the read!
Post by: cumminfourya on October 08, 2017, 06:36:59 AM
Congrats on the red!!!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Title: Re: Story time! My first grail! Worth the read!
Post by: DellJones on October 08, 2017, 06:44:40 AM
Congrats!! 🏾🏾


Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app (https://siteowners.tapatalk.com/byo/displayAndDownloadByoApp?rid=91018)
Title: Re: Story time! My first grail! Worth the read!
Post by: MrHoss on October 08, 2017, 07:11:17 AM
A very worthy find. Do enjoy.
Title: Re: Story time! My first grail! Worth the read!
Post by: Schaefd2 on October 08, 2017, 07:26:10 AM
I forgot to mention, this story isn't all good. Roy told me he used to have another old kettle, a black one. He described it as having round, metal handles on the bowl AND the lid. He thinks it even had a solid triangle shelf!

He said somebody stopped by one day and asked to buy it but he never came back. Then, later that week, Roy went to go fire it up, and it was gone!! Roy thinks that the guy who stopped by asking to buy it, came by and stole it instead!! What an effing asswipe!

But now I know there's an old, black, MLH somewhere near where I live. I'll be keeping an eye out. Maybe I'll become Robin Hood and return it to Roy one day?


Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club (https://siteowners.tapatalk.com/byo/displayAndDownloadByoApp?rid=91018)
Title: Re: Story time! My first grail! Worth the read!
Post by: RottiGuy on October 08, 2017, 08:19:53 AM
Great stort and a great find!!!.Enjoy!!
Title: Re: Story time! My first grail! Worth the read!
Post by: WNC on October 08, 2017, 09:07:20 AM
Great find! An absolute classic, enjoy
There was a guy down the street who had a Simpson's I asked to buy, he said no, he knew what he had.
He used to keep it in the front yard though...
Well now it's missing, maybe he sold it to someone else, I don't know. But every time we walk by his house I always wonder if he thinks I stole it (I didn't by the way, kettle karma is real) (plus stealing is bad)
Good luck on the hunt for MLH


Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app (https://siteowners.tapatalk.com/byo/displayAndDownloadByoApp?rid=91018)
Title: Re: Story time! My first grail! Worth the read!
Post by: addicted-to-smoke on October 08, 2017, 09:31:54 AM
Quote from: Schaefd2 on October 08, 2017, 05:00:23 AM
... but I did have a slight interest in a red 22" ...

The first stage of denial, right there. Plain as day.
Title: Re: Story time! My first grail! Worth the read!
Post by: addicted-to-smoke on October 08, 2017, 09:40:14 AM
Great story, yes. And I love seeing pictures with the previous owners. I wouldn't have the gumption to ask for the picture.

So it seems like he still might cook outdoors, but prefers the Char-Broil or whatever? Does not compute.
Title: Re: Story time! My first grail! Worth the read!
Post by: Schaefd2 on October 08, 2017, 09:53:16 AM
@addicted-to-smoke
I considered if I was in denial or not while driving home yesterday......

Roy and I were pretty amicable after chatting for 30 minutes or so, so a picture didn't seem all that weird. He called his Charbroil one a POS and never used it. He only had it because, like his mom, won it in a contest from when he worked at Meijer. It didn't seem like he's cooked outside in a long while but he had a fairly new, unopened double bag of KBB in his garage. I'm also perplexed but didn't want to ask too many questions and have him regret selling the Statesman!


Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club (https://siteowners.tapatalk.com/byo/displayAndDownloadByoApp?rid=91018)
Title: Re: Story time! My first grail! Worth the read!
Post by: james1787 on October 08, 2017, 10:08:32 AM
Congrats!! It's cool to know all the history behind that grill.. it looks great! Enjoy
Title: Re: Story time! My first grail! Worth the read!
Post by: steveOH on October 08, 2017, 10:27:54 AM
Congratulations and happy bday! 


Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club (https://siteowners.tapatalk.com/byo/displayAndDownloadByoApp?rid=91018)
Title: Re: Story time! My first grail! Worth the read!
Post by: Schaefd2 on October 08, 2017, 11:11:53 AM
Check this out fellas.... I looked up Roy's house on the auditor website and look what I found! A photo from May 1999, with a younger Roy in his garage and check out what is sitting at the left corner of his garage? Same spot where I spotted it from the road. It was waiting for me it seems. (https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20171008/96aff411404c2de7aa8c3726daa26543.jpg)


Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club (https://siteowners.tapatalk.com/byo/displayAndDownloadByoApp?rid=91018)
Title: Re: Story time! My first grail! Worth the read!
Post by: randy on October 08, 2017, 11:27:53 AM
I'm heading to Columbus tomorrow, if you like just set that girl at the curb and I'll grab it


Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club (https://siteowners.tapatalk.com/byo/displayAndDownloadByoApp?rid=91018)
Title: Re: Story time! My first grail! Worth the read!
Post by: 56MPG on October 08, 2017, 11:33:24 AM
Um, I don't think you needed to add that arrow in your spy shot.  ;)
Title: Re: Story time! My first grail! Worth the read!
Post by: Schaefd2 on October 08, 2017, 11:41:50 AM

Quote from: 56MPG on October 08, 2017, 11:33:24 AM
Um, I don't think you needed to add that arrow in your spy shot.  ;)
its for the older guys in the forum!


Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club (https://siteowners.tapatalk.com/byo/displayAndDownloadByoApp?rid=91018)
Title: Re: Story time! My first grail! Worth the read!
Post by: Schaefd2 on October 08, 2017, 11:49:58 AM
I couldn't wait so I decided to clean it up a bit today and cook some steaks on it later. Note: all I used was a wet rag all over and a tad of dish soap on the interior. (https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20171008/1166762924c4f6ab18f8831724bf44c1.jpg)(https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20171008/0143e09aa8f77781eb2305c427d306d0.jpg)
Even my wife wanted to help! She's excited about Roy too!
(https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20171008/b471da9b9e5163dae36cb91be28ca22b.jpg)(https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20171008/be15d142bdcdd71ba346e7ed10fed16d.jpg)(https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20171008/1377d938f21808ebb24654132cd47981.jpg)(https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20171008/fb520b933775cb2ba765d676ffdd2b0d.jpg)(https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20171008/e1b0fb9c81f7177d6a1521a99ceed1fd.jpg)(https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20171008/08b7cd3dab49d450fb704cfaa319a94e.jpg)


Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club (https://siteowners.tapatalk.com/byo/displayAndDownloadByoApp?rid=91018)
Title: Re: Story time! My first grail! Worth the read!
Post by: cobrasteve on October 08, 2017, 11:50:40 AM
It's grate how nice Roy polished up and really cool to get a pic from the 70s.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Weber Kettle Club mobile app (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=91018)

Title: Re: Story time! My first grail! Worth the read!
Post by: cobrasteve on October 08, 2017, 11:52:01 AM
Quote from: cobrasteve on October 08, 2017, 11:50:40 AM
It's grate how nice Roy polished up and really cool to get a pic from the 70s.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Weber Kettle Club mobile app (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=91018)
See the pic was from 1999. Was going by the car.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Weber Kettle Club mobile app (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=91018)

Title: Re: Story time! My first grail! Worth the read!
Post by: Schaefd2 on October 08, 2017, 11:53:13 AM
I did use a bit of dish soap and steel wool on the original grate to try and clean it up a bit. Do you guys think I could cook on it, or should I use my GBS from my other grill?(https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20171008/63ddfacdfddb096185728a52b3083c07.jpg)(https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20171008/6d748f6a792f57cca4621cfe23740f42.jpg)


Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club (https://siteowners.tapatalk.com/byo/displayAndDownloadByoApp?rid=91018)
Title: Re: Story time! My first grail! Worth the read!
Post by: kettlebb on October 08, 2017, 11:57:41 AM
I'd cook on that grate all day brother. Get a chimney going, out the grate in upside down, oil it, lid on, flip the grate, oil it again, cook.


Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app (https://siteowners.tapatalk.com/byo/displayAndDownloadByoApp?rid=91018)
Title: Re: Story time! My first grail! Worth the read!
Post by: mhiszem on October 08, 2017, 12:02:26 PM
Wow grate score! That will make a grate cooker


Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app (https://siteowners.tapatalk.com/byo/displayAndDownloadByoApp?rid=91018)
Title: Re: Story time! My first grail! Worth the read!
Post by: vwengguy on October 08, 2017, 12:04:44 PM
I would clean the grate as good as you can and then smoke some ribs in it to give the grate a nice coating of goodness. Older grates are heavier and better than new Weber grates. Use it!
BTW.. the kettle and lid cleaned up REAL nice ! That's a super grill !


Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club (https://siteowners.tapatalk.com/byo/displayAndDownloadByoApp?rid=91018)
Title: Re: Story time! My first grail! Worth the read!
Post by: Schaefd2 on October 08, 2017, 12:30:51 PM
@kettlebb good idea with the oil. I forgot about doing that.

@vwengguy I noticed how heavy the old one was too! I'll be using it fo sho!!


Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club (https://siteowners.tapatalk.com/byo/displayAndDownloadByoApp?rid=91018)
Title: Story time! My first grail! Worth the read!
Post by: Schaefd2 on October 08, 2017, 01:56:02 PM
Got some steaks and broccoli going on Roy for the first time tonight! I knew this lattice contraption would come in handy some day!(https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20171008/b1d6abaa8956158940cdb7667680da71.jpg)


Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club (https://siteowners.tapatalk.com/byo/displayAndDownloadByoApp?rid=91018)
Title: Re: Story time! My first grail! Worth the read!
Post by: Schaefd2 on October 08, 2017, 03:39:39 PM
Alright. First cook is done! (https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20171008/c969329054545aedcc58cdf8058d06f6.jpg)
Deep color change!
(https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20171008/4a106043f402a505ea79763cb8f8ec07.jpg)
(https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20171008/0a88498b98df5196da68e7f05c0c5d7f.jpg)
Shhh we like our steaks med-medium well
(https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20171008/6a5349c3261f6ea70c9300f3f5c8ce7b.jpg)


Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club (https://siteowners.tapatalk.com/byo/displayAndDownloadByoApp?rid=91018)
Title: Re: Story time! My first grail! Worth the read!
Post by: kettlebb on October 08, 2017, 03:57:33 PM
Looks grate brother!


Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app (https://siteowners.tapatalk.com/byo/displayAndDownloadByoApp?rid=91018)
Title: Re: Story time! My first grail! Worth the read!
Post by: cumminfourya on October 08, 2017, 04:42:29 PM
Looks great!!! We eat ours well done


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Title: Re: Story time! My first grail! Worth the read!
Post by: mhiszem on October 08, 2017, 06:19:54 PM
Yum!


Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app (https://siteowners.tapatalk.com/byo/displayAndDownloadByoApp?rid=91018)
Title: Re: Story time! My first grail! Worth the read!
Post by: Neil_VT00 on October 09, 2017, 05:46:55 AM
Great story and congrats on the find.  Looks like it cleaned up really well.

Is the white speckling just overspray from something else or is it part of the finish?  Did you try to take a razor blade to it?
Title: Re: Story time! My first grail! Worth the read!
Post by: Schaefd2 on October 09, 2017, 06:43:08 AM
Quote from: Neil_VT00 on October 09, 2017, 05:46:55 AM
Great story and congrats on the find.  Looks like it cleaned up really well.

Is the white speckling just overspray from something else or is it part of the finish?  Did you try to take a razor blade to it?
According to @kettlebb, he thinks it is just paint overspray. I agree as it is only found on one side of the lid. I considered taking a razor blade to it, but decided not to because I dont want to cause any damage. I am not the most careful or patient guy around when it comes to jobs like that. Just ask my wife how it went when I removed wallpaper......
Title: Re: Story time! My first grail! Worth the read!
Post by: kettlebb on October 09, 2017, 07:01:30 AM
Next time we are up your way we can drink some beers and clean it up a bit. Now your next find needs to be a brownie.


Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app (https://siteowners.tapatalk.com/byo/displayAndDownloadByoApp?rid=91018)
Title: Re: Story time! My first grail! Worth the read!
Post by: PotsieWeber on October 09, 2017, 07:25:03 AM
If you don't want to try a razor blade, consider trying a plastic putty knife sort of thing.  You can also pick up plastic razor blades at some auto parts stores.  If you have a Menards home improvement store near you, both plastic putty knives & plastic razor blades are cheap there. 

Frankly, I believe it would be difficult to harm porcelain with a regular metal putty knife or razor blade unless you whacked it with edge or corner of the putty knife.  Porcelain is pretty hard and durable, but can get chipped if you ding it against something hard.
Title: Story time! My first grail! Worth the read!
Post by: Schaefd2 on October 10, 2017, 02:50:28 AM
Thanks @PotsieWeber I may have to try getting the white paint off some time. Still nervous lol

...Menards is awesome though!!

@kettlebb I figured you may say that!! I'll heat my garage up and light a cigar lol


Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club (https://siteowners.tapatalk.com/byo/displayAndDownloadByoApp?rid=91018)
Title: Re: Story time! My first grail! Worth the read!
Post by: PotsieWeber on October 10, 2017, 03:50:14 AM
You are welcome Schaefd2. 

I get a huge kick out of Menards.  About 2 years ago, they had packages of Klements brats that for $0.99 after Menards "rebate" (in the form of a gift certificate).  Later, they were FREE after "rebate". 

I picked up so many of of those free & nearly free brats. 
Title: Re: Story time! My first grail! Worth the read!
Post by: Schaefd2 on October 10, 2017, 04:36:41 AM

Quote from: PotsieWeber on October 10, 2017, 03:50:14 AM
You are welcome Schaefd2. 

I get a huge kick out of Menards.  About 2 years ago, they had packages of Klements brats that for $0.99 after Menards "rebate" (in the form of a gift certificate).  Later, they were FREE after "rebate". 

I picked up so many of of those free & nearly free brats.
Wow!! I've never seen brats at my Menards! They have snacks and some drinks, but no grillables!! They are the only place I can find Giants brand sunflower seeds though (they're the best!)


Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club (https://siteowners.tapatalk.com/byo/displayAndDownloadByoApp?rid=91018)
Title: Re: Story time! My first grail! Worth the read!
Post by: PotsieWeber on October 10, 2017, 06:39:00 AM
@Schaefd2
If memory serves, an employee said that there are basically 4 different sizes of Menards.  The frozen food and refrigerated food is only at the largest.  They have Jack's pizza (which I like for a cheap frozen pizza) and even milk.  BIZARRE. 
Ask at your Menards if there is another local one that is the biggest size and check it out. 
Title: Re: Story time! My first grail! Worth the read!
Post by: Firemunkee on October 10, 2017, 06:40:44 AM
Worth the read indeed!