Weber Kettle Club Forums

Grill Talk => WSM: Weber Smokey Mountain => Topic started by: Beef on October 01, 2017, 06:16:20 PM

Title: Grail WSM find, by accident, for free
Post by: Beef on October 01, 2017, 06:16:20 PM
Long story short, I have been a brethren for years, and have only ever smoked on a UDS:

Days after an estate sale/auction in my neighborhood, in northern Wisconsin, this was found in the bushes, where it had been abandoned.   The new owner told me to just take it, as he knew I was a bbq guy.
I will need to reverse a Mod, as the original owner converted it to propane, I believe, as evidenced by the holes in the base.

I will use 2 washers and a bolt to block off the round hole, but I may need to cut two tin patches and sheetmetal screw them inside the edge of the squarish hole; will probably cut it clean also . . .
(https://i.imgur.com/4504gMl.jpg?1)
(https://i.imgur.com/0mFaI1z.jpg?1)
(https://i.imgur.com/Oiov1Eq.jpg?1)
(https://i.imgur.com/MlRIM5m.jpg?1)
(https://i.imgur.com/zXnRM40.jpg?1)

Oh, and its a 'B' code.    :o
(https://i.imgur.com/t24sPbG.jpg?1)

I was showing another neighbor the WSM, when I realized it was a B, and it was kind of lost on him   ;D

So, after patching the holes and wire brushing the grates, should I switch out all the bolts with stainless?

Will probably give it a nice flaxseed oil rub, too.


If this was yours, where would you take it from here?

Thanks in advance, Kevin in Cedarburg, Wi.  (feeling blessed)




Title: Re: Grail WSM find, by accident, for free
Post by: Beef on October 01, 2017, 06:17:15 PM
Apparently PhotoBucket does not like me.    How can I upload my pics of this bruiser?
Title: Re: Grail WSM find, by accident, for free
Post by: Travis on October 01, 2017, 06:30:51 PM
Quote from: Beef on October 01, 2017, 06:17:15 PM
Apparently PhotoBucket does not like me.    How can I upload my pics of this bruiser?
Tapatalk and please hurry! Congrats!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Title: Re: Grail WSM find, by accident, for free
Post by: addicted-to-smoke on October 01, 2017, 06:38:29 PM
Quote from: Beef on October 01, 2017, 06:17:15 PM
...How can I upload my pics of this bruiser?

I like the hosting done here -> http://pics.weberkettleclub.com

Sign up anew; its a separate account from your account in the forums.
Title: Re: Grail WSM find, by accident, for free
Post by: Beef on October 01, 2017, 07:24:41 PM
Pics Updated.       Actually IMGUR is much slicker than photoshop . . .   imho

Give me your feedback folks!   
From what I am reading, the handle was Real Teak back then.
Title: Re: Grail WSM find, by accident, for free
Post by: Beef on October 01, 2017, 08:06:18 PM
Well that was certainly an ordeal!     

Sorry for the delay folks.    All pics inserted in OP

Title: Re: Grail WSM find, by accident, for free
Post by: pbe gummi bear on October 01, 2017, 09:53:05 PM
Nice score! I would completely disassemble it and evaporust all the rust off the steel bits. I would then get the bowl patched by a welder who knows their way around sheet metal. I would pull the steel from a donor 18.5" bowl.
Title: Re: Grail WSM find, by accident, for free
Post by: Beef on October 01, 2017, 10:12:27 PM
Great insights!   both of which I had not considered.

Keep it coming Y'all

Tx Gummi
Title: Re: Grail WSM find, by accident, for free
Post by: addicted-to-smoke on October 02, 2017, 05:08:34 AM
nice Rescue

Let us know your progress!
Title: Re: Grail WSM find, by accident, for free
Post by: Travis on October 02, 2017, 05:46:31 AM
Such a beauty! I would do a full on restore, if time allowed. Keep us posted !


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Title: Re: Grail WSM find, by accident, for free
Post by: Scott Zee on October 02, 2017, 06:10:21 AM
Only the 2nd?? "B" code 18.5" that we've seen.  I believe @Harbormaster has one
Title: Re: Grail WSM find, by accident, for free
Post by: davekkk on October 02, 2017, 06:40:53 AM
Wow that thing is sweet!
Title: Re: Grail WSM find, by accident, for free
Post by: JDD on October 02, 2017, 07:35:24 AM
Nice rescue, can't wait to see the restore. I can already feel the respect.
Title: Re: Grail WSM find, by accident, for free
Post by: Harbormaster on October 02, 2017, 07:01:46 PM
Nice find beef.

Interesting that it's a B date code but has a single screw wood handle. Mine a has a dual rivet handle.

Still pretty sweet.

No one can explain the B date code WSMs with any certainty.
Title: Re: Grail WSM find, by accident, for free
Post by: foshizzle on October 02, 2017, 10:54:24 PM
Had a N code 1991 18" WSM that I got for free but the bottom bowl was rusted through but everything else was in decent condition. Really liked the smoker with the wood handle and Weber sells a replacement bowl somewhere in the mid $50 range plus flat shipping of $7.00. So ordered the bowl and thermometer with bezel for another $15 and hardware kit was $5.  The only pic I have is when I used it like a Jumbo Joe Platinum.


Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app (https://siteowners.tapatalk.com/byo/displayAndDownloadByoApp?rid=91018)

[attachment deleted by admin]
Title: Re: Grail WSM find, by accident, for free
Post by: TheDude on October 03, 2017, 09:01:33 AM
Wow! I thought C was the first WSM.
Title: Re: Grail WSM find, by accident, for free
Post by: Dc_smoke309 on October 03, 2017, 09:28:17 AM
Pretty sweet . Cool find


Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club (https://siteowners.tapatalk.com/byo/displayAndDownloadByoApp?rid=91018)
Title: Re: Grail WSM find, by accident, for free
Post by: Mike in Roseville on October 03, 2017, 12:41:54 PM

Quote from: TheDude on October 03, 2017, 09:01:33 AM
Wow! I thought C was the first WSM.

Technically, you are correct. "C" is the first year.  There are a few "B" code WSMs out there...not many though.



Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app (https://siteowners.tapatalk.com/byo/displayAndDownloadByoApp?rid=91018)
Title: Re: Grail WSM find, by accident, for free
Post by: TheDude on October 03, 2017, 01:09:07 PM
Quote from: Mike in Roseville on October 03, 2017, 12:41:54 PM

Quote from: TheDude on October 03, 2017, 09:01:33 AM
Wow! I thought C was the first WSM.

Technically, you are correct. "C" is the first year.  There are a few "B" code WSMs out there...not many though.



Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app (https://siteowners.tapatalk.com/byo/displayAndDownloadByoApp?rid=91018)

And I thought C codes were rare.
Title: Re: Grail WSM find, by accident, for free
Post by: Schaefd2 on October 03, 2017, 05:11:29 PM
Nice find! Looks like you got some work ahead of you


Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club (https://siteowners.tapatalk.com/byo/displayAndDownloadByoApp?rid=91018)
Title: Re: Grail WSM find, by accident, for free
Post by: Schaefd2 on October 03, 2017, 05:11:50 PM
Nice find! Looks like you got some work ahead of you


Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club (https://siteowners.tapatalk.com/byo/displayAndDownloadByoApp?rid=91018)
Title: Re: Grail WSM find, by accident, for free
Post by: SmokenJoe on October 03, 2017, 09:50:52 PM
WoW  ...  that is a fantastic find/score.   Take your time to fully restore this venerable smoker, glad she's in the WKC family at last.

SJ
Title: Re: Grail WSM find, by accident, for free
Post by: HoosierKettle on October 04, 2017, 03:18:42 AM
Am I the only one that loves the rust on this?  Personally I would patch the holes as simply as possible and put it into service. I'd let the grease prevent it from rusting further. I love those rusty doors.


Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app (https://siteowners.tapatalk.com/byo/displayAndDownloadByoApp?rid=91018)
Title: Re: Grail WSM find, by accident, for free
Post by: Mike in Roseville on October 04, 2017, 03:42:05 PM

Quote from: HoosierKettle on October 04, 2017, 03:18:42 AM
Am I the only one that loves the rust on this?  Personally I would patch the holes as simply as possible and put it into service. I'd let the grease prevent it from rusting further. I love those rusty doors.


Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app (https://siteowners.tapatalk.com/byo/displayAndDownloadByoApp?rid=91018)

Uhh yeah! It has awesome patina! I'd rest a piece of stainless inside large enough to cover the holes. Light a full ring to burn it out...then cook on it!


Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app (https://siteowners.tapatalk.com/byo/displayAndDownloadByoApp?rid=91018)
Title: Re: Grail WSM find, by accident, for free
Post by: Beef on January 15, 2018, 05:49:25 PM
Here was my solution to the holes in the base.

I solved the center hole with washer and bolt.
Then I spied a scrap piece of a tamale pot bottom from an older mini wsm project.   I decided to just leave it in a Swoosh pattern

Doing some last minute cleanup, etc and getting it into service.

BTW, I have never used a WSM before.   Just a UDS.

(https://i.imgur.com/NxuMcDJm.jpg)

(https://i.imgur.com/bPirtZwm.jpg)



It wont be perfect, but I will post pictures soon of the finished product