Weber Kettle Club Forums

Grill Talk => Weber Kettle Forum => Topic started by: Mkrause on July 06, 2017, 08:08:22 AM

Title: How to approach?
Post by: Mkrause on July 06, 2017, 08:08:22 AM
(https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170706/799f0fcc5c966d4521c2d5220badd32d.jpg) I guess first of all, wouldn't you assume this is waiting for trash day? They have alley pickup and this is sitting about 10 feet away from where they would put their garbage for the trucks to come. It doesn't appear that anyone is home but i was thinking about knocking and leaving a note. If this gets put out the scrappers are gonna get it for sure. But what do you say? I was thinking of offering 10 bucks for it. But if they don't agree to it on the spot, chances are that they'll google it and think that they have a small fortune on their hands.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Weber Kettle Club mobile app (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=91018)

Title: Re: How to approach?
Post by: mhiszem on July 06, 2017, 08:10:24 AM
Looks to be in decent shape. Never hurts to ask if they will sell it. You never know. Could offer up a used black 22


Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app (https://siteowners.tapatalk.com/byo/displayAndDownloadByoApp?rid=91018)
Title: Re: How to approach?
Post by: kettlebb on July 06, 2017, 08:22:14 AM
Either way I'd hate to see it in a dump. I'd ask if they are tossing it out. If they say no then see if you can buy it.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Title: Re: How to approach?
Post by: Mkrause on July 06, 2017, 08:27:01 AM
Quote from: kettlebb on July 06, 2017, 08:22:14 AM
Either way I'd hate to see it in a dump. I'd ask if they are tossing it out. If they say no then see if you can buy it.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
That's my thing, i don't really want it for myself as much as i don't want to see it go to the scrap yard

Sent from my SM-G930V using Weber Kettle Club mobile app (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=91018)

Title: How to approach?
Post by: Mr.CPHo on July 06, 2017, 08:37:15 AM

Good man, please Rescue. 
Title: Re: How to approach?
Post by: UserGone on July 06, 2017, 09:03:54 AM
I think that is a common place to park a Weber between uses. Along side a house, garage, driveway, fence. It's in its natural habitat like recently mentioned on another post.
It's also the same place I see garbage cans placed, alone side house, garage, fence..
Maybe I shouldn't park too close to my trash can anymore. Someone might think I'm throwing my car away.
Seriously, I've had a few of those " Rawhide donate your car" for troubled teens fund brochures placed on my car window before.

This gives me an idea. Light bulb. We should create a brochure for donating your old Weber Kettle and receive a $50 certificate towards a new Weber. Included in the full color brochure would be the WKC logo and a collage of abused old Weber kettles being rescued and restored.

Then a local member can include his contact info on a blank space and drop off the brochure.
When they call, you show up to pick up the old Weber and drop off a $50 gift certificate to be used at your local Weber dealer.

This $50 gift certificate would be purchased by the member willing to pick up said kettle.




Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app (https://siteowners.tapatalk.com/byo/displayAndDownloadByoApp?rid=91018)
Title: Re: How to approach?
Post by: charred on July 06, 2017, 09:22:31 AM
@Mkrause The RRR oath you swore (even tho you may not remember doing so) requires you inquire about that grill! :)
Title: Re: How to approach?
Post by: LightningBoldtz on July 06, 2017, 09:23:47 AM
If you buy it for $10 I will double your money.   :)
Title: Re: How to approach?
Post by: james1787 on July 06, 2017, 09:30:00 AM
I think it doesn't hurt to ask. It could be its normal storage spot.. next to the garbage cans.. or it could be ready to go to the garbage dump. You aren't going to know unless you knock on the door or leave a note.

On my street.. our garbage cans normally live next to the house and only get taken out to the curb on trash pickup day.
Title: Re: How to approach?
Post by: Mkrause on July 06, 2017, 09:42:08 AM
Quote from: Smokin Performer on July 06, 2017, 09:03:54 AM
I think that is a common place to park a Weber between uses. Along side a house, garage, driveway, fence. It's in its natural habitat like recently mentioned on another post.
It's also the same place I see garbage cans placed, alone side house, garage, fence..
Maybe I shouldn't park too close to my trash can anymore. Someone might think I'm throwing my car away.
Seriously, I've had a few of those " Rawhide donate your car" for troubled teens fund brochures placed on my car window before.

This gives me an idea. Light bulb. We should create a brochure for donating your old Weber Kettle and receive a $50 certificate towards a new Weber. Included in the full color brochure would be the WKC logo and a collage of abused old Weber kettles being rescued and restored.

Then a local member can include his contact info on a blank space and drop off the brochure.
When they call, you show up to pick up the old Weber and drop off a $50 gift certificate to be used at your local Weber dealer.

This $50 gift certificate would be purchased by the member willing to pick up said kettle.




Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app (https://siteowners.tapatalk.com/byo/displayAndDownloadByoApp?rid=91018)
I agree with this usually but they have a fenced in yard and that is sitting outside of the fence near an alley.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Weber Kettle Club mobile app (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=91018)

Title: Re: How to approach?
Post by: Mkrause on July 06, 2017, 09:48:03 AM
I did go up and knock, no answer. So i left a note that basically said if it's going out for trash day that i could make use of it... so we'll see. But it's funny how many sad kettles you start to notice...(https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170706/a55a2f2098f77739ec7e2cbe0d643d09.jpg)(https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170706/2949b4afac4109b60ceb0958bf5ccccc.jpg)cue the Sarah McLaughlin music

Sent from my SM-G930V using Weber Kettle Club mobile app (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=91018)

Title: Re: How to approach?
Post by: UserGone on July 06, 2017, 09:49:11 AM
Outside the fence.. Well then that settles it. It's fair game if your from Texas. If the horse is found outside the fence, it's FREE.



Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app (https://siteowners.tapatalk.com/byo/displayAndDownloadByoApp?rid=91018)
Title: Re: How to approach?
Post by: kettlebb on July 06, 2017, 09:49:58 AM
Hope they get the note before trash comes. Did you happen to peak in the grill. Look like recent use or it's sat a while?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Title: Re: How to approach?
Post by: WhaleinaTeardrop on July 06, 2017, 09:55:56 AM
That's a tough one; I'm from Chicago so anything actually IN the alley or on the curb is fair game.

In this case, I think you did the right thing, especially as it's right after a holiday, they may have finished late, had a few too many festive beverages or asked/told a kid to put it away and have no idea that their baby isn't in it's rightful resting place.
Title: Re: How to approach?
Post by: Mkrause on July 06, 2017, 10:12:42 AM
Quote from: kettlebb on July 06, 2017, 09:49:58 AM
Hope they get the note before trash comes. Did you happen to peak in the grill. Look like recent use or it's sat a while?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Their trash day is delayed until Saturday with the holiday this week so hopefully someone sees it. And no, i didn't look inside.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Weber Kettle Club mobile app (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=91018)

Title: Re: How to approach?
Post by: mhiszem on July 06, 2017, 10:28:00 AM
Hope for the best @Mkrause keep us up to date.
Title: Re: How to approach?
Post by: TD on July 06, 2017, 12:19:36 PM
The best $50 gift certificate is a fifty dollar bill. It's universal. I wouldn't  offer less than that if I knocked on their door. I'd probably go to $100 or 2 maybe 3 for a good one, if they seemed indecisive . Funny Weber can produce a finish with a perfect little circle with an R in it, written in the porcelain. But all they produce is solids( Except for logos). The fades would sell. Wish they would open up a custom shop like Fender. Might be a nice job promotion for a dedicated employee. Haha, I can see it now pre-worn new kettles.
Title: Re: How to approach?
Post by: Hell Fire Grill on July 06, 2017, 12:32:21 PM
Find out whats considered public domain in your area.

If you decide to take it arbitrarily make sure there's not an S&S inside first...Stanger things have happened
Title: Re: How to approach?
Post by: Kneab on July 06, 2017, 02:41:17 PM
I hope that doesn't get scrapped.
It looks like it may have steel wheels.
Best of  luck.
Title: Re: How to approach?
Post by: AZ Monsoon on July 06, 2017, 04:08:28 PM
10 bones? No way they can turn that down.

Sent from my VS987 using Weber Kettle Club mobile app (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=91018)

Title: Re: How to approach?
Post by: Mkrause on July 06, 2017, 04:25:28 PM
Still haven't heard anything...

Sent from my SM-G930V using Weber Kettle Club mobile app (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=91018)

Title: Re: How to approach?
Post by: mhiszem on July 06, 2017, 05:52:00 PM
Hoping for the best


Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app (https://siteowners.tapatalk.com/byo/displayAndDownloadByoApp?rid=91018)
Title: Re: How to approach?
Post by: Mkrause on July 06, 2017, 05:52:26 PM
Quote from: TD on July 06, 2017, 12:19:36 PM
The best $50 gift certificate is a fifty dollar bill. It's universal. I wouldn't  offer less than that if I knocked on their door. I'd probably go to $100 or 2 maybe 3 for a good one, if they seemed indecisive . Funny Weber can produce a finish with a perfect little circle with an R in it, written in the porcelain. But all they produce is solids( Except for logos). The fades would sell. Wish they would open up a custom shop like Fender. Might be a nice job promotion for a dedicated employee. Haha, I can see it now pre-worn new kettles.
I'm not trying to buy it (for more than a few bucks)... just trying to save it from the trash, if that's where it's going. Who knows, maybe they used that one the night before and it didn't get put back in the garage with the rest of the collection. If that's the case, cool. Maybe they were going to throw it out and realized it may be worth something since someone took interest in it. I guess that's a better outcome than ending up in the scrapper's truck. A custom shop would be cool. I guess they must have some sort of customising capabilities since they can put logos on as promo items. You'd think they'd open it up to the public. They do it for shoes which seems like it would be a PITA. Why not do it for kettles? It's only one part of the production process... not like every part would be different or custom.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Weber Kettle Club mobile app (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=91018)
Title: Re: How to approach?
Post by: Mkrause on July 07, 2017, 03:15:08 AM
Drove by this morning, note was gone and kettle is not by the trash cans. Guess it wasn't going to the curb after all.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Weber Kettle Club mobile app (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=91018)

Title: Re: How to approach?
Post by: mhiszem on July 07, 2017, 03:16:39 AM
At least you know you tried.
Title: Re: How to approach?
Post by: UserGone on July 07, 2017, 05:42:30 AM
Either way, You saved it from being left out too close to the trash can. Congrats. Now that scrap man can't take it.


Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app (https://siteowners.tapatalk.com/byo/displayAndDownloadByoApp?rid=91018)