Weber Kettle Club Forums

Grill Talk => Weber Kettle Forum => Topic started by: Troy on July 05, 2017, 12:21:46 AM

Title: how to clean the interior
Post by: Troy on July 05, 2017, 12:21:46 AM
Finally found some time to get this yellow kettle restoration started!

I plan to document all of the restoration processes of this grill.

Here's the first video: how to clean the inside

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6d4dMCtz9AM

Title: Re: how to clean the interior
Post by: Neil_VT00 on July 05, 2017, 04:53:34 AM
Another good one Troy. I know you mentioned it in the video, but when you were first scraping the lid edge, all I could picture was you getting a razor blade to the hand!
Title: Re: how to clean the interior
Post by: JEBIV on July 05, 2017, 05:12:48 AM
Cecil B. Dweber !! another good vid
Title: Re: how to clean the interior
Post by: LightningBoldtz on July 05, 2017, 05:20:07 AM
I want to see the first STEAK on that SWEET Grill.  SWEET Yellow Grill.
Title: Re: how to clean the interior
Post by: Craig on July 05, 2017, 05:21:05 AM
It'll be a SWEET YELLOW!!


Holy Grail: 1960s Glen Blue 22 aka The Imperial.
Title: Re: how to clean the interior
Post by: mhiszem on July 05, 2017, 06:29:05 AM
Thanks so much for this video @Troy I have read how to do a cleanup but I am more of a visual person so this helps immensely. Time to clean up my red 26'er.
Title: Re: how to clean the interior
Post by: TD on July 05, 2017, 07:48:20 AM
Yeah, and once you've been thru all that, you never let it get that dirty again, right?
Title: Re: how to clean the interior
Post by: YardBurner on July 05, 2017, 08:19:32 AM
Stay tuned for my next video

"How to Reattach a Thumb, in Three Easy Steps"

Put some gloves on dude!
Title: Re: how to clean the interior
Post by: 1buckie on July 05, 2017, 08:23:23 AM
Grate vid......I've found, by accident, soaking an old towel w/ apple cider vinegar, then laying it on the sections for a few minutes (10~15), will soften the "crud" material immensely.....way, way easier to then scrape away....   

The cider vin then will cook off (slightly stinky) in a few minutes & there's no after-effects..... 8)
Title: Re: how to clean the interior
Post by: mhiszem on July 05, 2017, 09:25:21 AM
Good tip!
Title: Re: how to clean the interior
Post by: Troy on July 05, 2017, 09:34:03 AM
Quote from: 1buckie on July 05, 2017, 08:23:23 AM
Grate vid......I've found, by accident, soaking an old towel w/ apple cider vinegar, then laying it on the sections for a few minutes (10~15), will soften the "crud" material immensely.....way, way easier to then scrape away....   

The cider vin then will cook off (slightly stinky) in a few minutes & there's no after-effects..... 8)

Thank you sir. I've tried the vinegar before with OK results. Maybe the particular grill I was cleaning was one of the more stubborn ones...

I'll definitely try it next time!
Title: Re: how to clean the interior
Post by: Troy on July 05, 2017, 09:34:08 AM
Quote from: YardBurner on July 05, 2017, 08:19:32 AM
Stay tuned for my next video

"How to Reattach a Thumb, in Three Easy Steps"

Put some gloves on dude!

Definitely!

Quote from: TD on July 05, 2017, 07:48:20 AM
Yeah, and once you've been thru all that, you never let it get that dirty again, right?

More like, once I've been through all that I won't even cook on it :P

Quote from: mhiszem on July 05, 2017, 06:29:05 AM
Thanks so much for this video @Troy I have read how to do a cleanup but I am more of a visual person so this helps immensely. Time to clean up my red 26'er.

No problem!! Show us the before and after!!

Quote from: Neil_VT00 on July 05, 2017, 04:53:34 AM
Another good one Troy. I know you mentioned it in the video, but when you were first scraping the lid edge, all I could picture was you getting a razor blade to the hand!

Yeah, that was risky. I normally always scrape downwards - but the camera setup wasn't ideal for that type of stroke.
Title: Re: how to clean the interior
Post by: LightningBoldtz on July 05, 2017, 09:49:35 AM
Totally unnecessary, just get you some coals squirt a bottle of lighter fluid and let 'er burn off.........  :)
Title: Re: how to clean the interior
Post by: bbquy on July 05, 2017, 05:19:31 PM
Great video @Troy !
Title: Re: how to clean the interior
Post by: Hawk68 on July 06, 2017, 09:29:39 PM
Quote from: mhiszem on July 05, 2017, 06:29:05 AM
Thanks so much for this video @Troy I have read how to do a cleanup but I am more of a visual person so this helps immensely. Time to clean up my red 26'er.

I agee, it is one thing to read about something but I feel you get so much more by watching a video. @Troy thank you for taking the time to make this video.
Title: Re: how to clean the interior
Post by: Rub on July 06, 2017, 09:49:01 PM
Nice job.
Title: Re: how to clean the interior
Post by: charred on July 07, 2017, 07:29:07 AM
thanks Troy!
Title: Re: how to clean the interior
Post by: YardBurner on July 07, 2017, 09:29:09 AM
Yeah, I was always afraid to go at it that aggressively.
I have some copper and brass brushes I use
for the nooks and other detail work
Just don't use steel bristles.
Gotta get a long handled blade holder for sure.
AND SOME GLOVES!!