Weber Kettle Club Forums

Grill Talk => WSM: Weber Smokey Mountain => Topic started by: jrob0144 on March 28, 2017, 05:37:50 PM

Title: Hanging Ribs!!!
Post by: jrob0144 on March 28, 2017, 05:37:50 PM
Anybody ever tried the rib hanger rack made by gateway drum smokers on their WSM?


Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app (https://siteowners.tapatalk.com/byo/displayAndDownloadByoApp?rid=91018)
Title: Re: Hanging Ribs!!!
Post by: Josh G on March 28, 2017, 06:34:52 PM
I have used it in a 30 gallon drum.  Pretty solid unit.
Title: Re: Hanging Ribs!!!
Post by: jrob0144 on March 28, 2017, 06:59:42 PM
Good to hear Josh. I only have a WSM and I'm having hard time finding their hanging rack for sale anywhere. Apparently they discontinued it. I'm hoping someone can attest to the fit of the Gateway rack in their WSM.


Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app (https://siteowners.tapatalk.com/byo/displayAndDownloadByoApp?rid=91018)
Title: Re: Hanging Ribs!!!
Post by: Josh G on March 28, 2017, 09:30:40 PM
I'll measure mine and let you know
Title: Re: Hanging Ribs!!!
Post by: LightningBoldtz on March 29, 2017, 02:42:26 AM
So I found this

https://www.amazon.com/Gateway-Grill-Rib-Hanger-Kit/dp/B00ZNPI5Z4 (https://www.amazon.com/Gateway-Grill-Rib-Hanger-Kit/dp/B00ZNPI5Z4)

but I think this will only work on a 22.

I also found this for a 30 gal

https://www.gatewaydrumsmokers.com/Rib-Hanger-Kit-p/10630.htm (https://www.gatewaydrumsmokers.com/Rib-Hanger-Kit-p/10630.htm)
I think this is what you are looking at, right?

Looks like cabela's sells these, if you have one close maybe it could be ordered and returned if it doesn't fit.
http://www.cabelas.com/product/GATEWAY-DRUM-RIB-HANGER-KIT/2344641.uts?productVariantId=4809893&WT.tsrc=PPC&WT.mc_id=GoogleProductAds&WT.z_mc_id1=04572831&rid=20&gclid=Cj0KEQjwtu3GBRDY6ZLY1erL44EBEiQAAKIcvj9qM3lgiTXfCZXu2Df7sgeDqNQ9qk2UeZeZUhmRWjsaAs5z8P8HAQ&gclsrc=aw.ds (http://www.cabelas.com/product/GATEWAY-DRUM-RIB-HANGER-KIT/2344641.uts?productVariantId=4809893&WT.tsrc=PPC&WT.mc_id=GoogleProductAds&WT.z_mc_id1=04572831&rid=20&gclid=Cj0KEQjwtu3GBRDY6ZLY1erL44EBEiQAAKIcvj9qM3lgiTXfCZXu2Df7sgeDqNQ9qk2UeZeZUhmRWjsaAs5z8P8HAQ&gclsrc=aw.ds)

I really like this rack if it fits, I actually have the Weber rack but honestly I am not sure how will it will hold up to a decent sized brisket.

If this works I may convert to it down the road.



Title: Re: Hanging Ribs!!!
Post by: noreaster on March 29, 2017, 03:22:49 AM
Quote from: jrob0144 on March 28, 2017, 06:59:42 PM
Good to hear Josh. I only have a WSM and I'm having hard time finding their hanging rack for sale anywhere. Apparently they discontinued it. I'm hoping someone can attest to the fit of the Gateway rack in their WSM.


Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app (https://siteowners.tapatalk.com/byo/displayAndDownloadByoApp?rid=91018)
I ordered a weber hanging rack for the 18 wsm from this place a week or so ago
Fosters Grill Store
107 Eastern Avenue
Gloucester, MA 01930
978-283-1275
Think they will have it as they have a parts warehouse.
They just mailed it to me with no shipping charge. Heard about this place from capt Joe



Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J320A using Weber Kettle Club mobile app (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=91018)

Title: Re: Hanging Ribs!!!
Post by: LightningBoldtz on March 29, 2017, 04:51:49 AM
I wrote to Gateway and asked this is their response.


================================
Hi Jeff,

Our 30 gallon rib hanger measures 17.5 inches across and is 5 inches tall. It should fit an 18 WSM but it wouldn't hurt to measure first just in case.



Thank you!



Kelly Heberle

Gateway Drum Smokers

477 WW Industrial Park Drive

Washington, MO 63090

636-390-9898

www.gatewaydrumsmokers.com
================================
Title: Re: Hanging Ribs!!!
Post by: Josh G on March 29, 2017, 07:52:01 AM
The only thing with the gateway ones is that they angle in about an 1.5" on each side so you lose about 3" of cooking space.  I emailed them pictures and was told that their stock image does angle in and it is just an illusion of the image.  It clearly does not though.  You can see pictures of it running up the inside wall of the drum.  Just a heads up.  As you will not be able to get as much on these as you think.  Maybe 3 chicken halves per side or 3 racks of ribs per side. 
Title: Re: Hanging Ribs!!!
Post by: swamprb on March 30, 2017, 05:27:10 AM
I'm a Hunsaker Smokers kinda guy and have one of their new style hangers. I'll have to upload some pics, but its the same style as the new Gateway.

I made some hangers out of barrel hoops, eye bolts and round rod that I use in my 30 gallon drum and Gateway clone.

(http://i163.photobucket.com/albums/t310/swamprb/Ugly%20Drum%20Smoker/IMG_2317.jpg)

Also have the Weber 22" Hanging rack that I use in a BPS can, a Hunsaker clone and the Pellet Poopin' WSM

(http://i163.photobucket.com/albums/t310/swamprb/Ugly%20Drum%20Smoker/IMG_1332.jpg)

(http://i163.photobucket.com/albums/t310/swamprb/Ugly%20Drum%20Smoker/Weber/IMG_2191.jpg)

I find it hard to believe that Gateway would discontinue a hanging rack-its part of the ICP allure.

Order one from their site.
Title: Re: Hanging Ribs!!!
Post by: EricD on March 30, 2017, 07:51:08 AM
What about buying one of those cheap "replacement" grates and hack saw off most of the racks, leaving 2 or three to hang stuff from?

Title: Re: Hanging Ribs!!!
Post by: Josh G on March 30, 2017, 09:31:03 AM
I like the hangers that you made Swamp

Here is the Gateway I have so you can see how it actually is.

(http://pics.weberkettleclub.com/images/2017/03/30/b2.md.jpg) (http://pics.weberkettleclub.com/image/SG0)
Title: Re: Hanging Ribs!!!
Post by: Josh G on March 30, 2017, 09:57:04 AM
From their Site:

(http://pics.weberkettleclub.com/images/2017/03/30/c2.jpg) (http://pics.weberkettleclub.com/image/SGo)

(http://pics.weberkettleclub.com/images/2017/03/30/a.md.jpg) (http://pics.weberkettleclub.com/image/SGg)
Title: Re: Hanging Ribs!!!
Post by: swamprb on March 30, 2017, 04:12:05 PM
Quote from: EricD on March 30, 2017, 07:51:08 AM
What about buying one of those cheap "replacement" grates and hack saw off most of the racks, leaving 2 or three to hang stuff from?

I've done that!

(http://i163.photobucket.com/albums/t310/swamprb/Ugly%20Drum%20Smoker/IMG_1909.jpg)

Only problem was that it really only worked on the top grate of the 22" WSM and not in my drums since the grate level is @6" from the top.

On the WSM it wasn't really high enough for rib hanging, but great for chicken, tri-tip etc.
Title: Re: Hanging Ribs!!!
Post by: jrob0144 on March 30, 2017, 05:27:27 PM
Josh, after seeing your hanger from gateway I am pretty sure it will fit well in my WSM. I was worried about the lid closing with the rack inside. With it angled like that I don't think it will be an issue.


Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app (https://siteowners.tapatalk.com/byo/displayAndDownloadByoApp?rid=91018)
Title: Re: Hanging Ribs!!!
Post by: Josh G on April 05, 2017, 10:28:14 AM
Quote from: jrob0144 on March 30, 2017, 05:27:27 PM
Josh, after seeing your hanger from gateway I am pretty sure it will fit well in my WSM. I was worried about the lid closing with the rack inside. With it angled like that I don't think it will be an issue.


Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app (https://siteowners.tapatalk.com/byo/displayAndDownloadByoApp?rid=91018)

Yes that's a very good point.  The angle would probably help with the curved lid of the WSM. 
Title: Re: Hanging Ribs!!!
Post by: mrgoodbar67 on April 05, 2017, 07:20:00 PM
Do they make the gateway rack in 18 inch?


Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app (https://siteowners.tapatalk.com/byo/displayAndDownloadByoApp?rid=91018)
Title: Re: Hanging Ribs!!!
Post by: LightningBoldtz on April 06, 2017, 02:23:28 AM
Quote from: mrgoodbar67 on April 05, 2017, 07:20:00 PM
Do they make the gateway rack in 18 inch?


Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app (https://siteowners.tapatalk.com/byo/displayAndDownloadByoApp?rid=91018)

Why yes they do, and I will have one in my dirty little hands today.
Title: Re: Hanging Ribs!!!
Post by: Fullbore BBQ on April 06, 2017, 03:30:26 AM
I have both a gateway and a WSM ill check fitment of the hanging rack in the WSM tonight, I hang ribs on my gateway a lot with great results 
Title: Re: Hanging Ribs!!!
Post by: jrob0144 on April 06, 2017, 04:00:56 AM
That would be great I'm in the mood to try something new. I'm want to try hanging some ribs soon but can't decide if I want to just buy a hanger for my WSM or buy something like the Pit Barrel Cooker. I probably don't need the PBC but having an extra toy around to play with can't hurt anything right? I don't think I have too many cookers but the wife does haha


Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app (https://siteowners.tapatalk.com/byo/displayAndDownloadByoApp?rid=91018)
Title: Re: Hanging Ribs!!!
Post by: Josh G on April 06, 2017, 08:07:18 AM
Quote from: jrob0144 on April 06, 2017, 04:00:56 AM
That would be great I'm in the mood to try something new. I'm want to try hanging some ribs soon but can't decide if I want to just buy a hanger for my WSM or buy something like the Pit Barrel Cooker. I probably don't need the PBC but having an extra toy around to play with can't hurt anything right? I don't think I have too many cookers but the wife does haha


Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app (https://siteowners.tapatalk.com/byo/displayAndDownloadByoApp?rid=91018)

Try the hanger with the WSM first to see if you like it.  I have played with a pit barrel a bunch and it is fun, but at the end of the day it's just a 30 gallon barrel with rebar hangers.   
Title: Re: Hanging Ribs!!!
Post by: LightningBoldtz on April 06, 2017, 10:14:48 AM
I had a barrel house that I bought from a friend at work, I really liked the concept but ultimately with the proper hanging tool and some hooks you can do the same in a WSM and get more versatility.

I sold the barrel house, bought a WSM and am not looking back.
Title: Re: Hanging Ribs!!!
Post by: LightningBoldtz on April 06, 2017, 11:49:06 AM
So I got my Gateway unit in.  about $50 came with 6 hooks.

So comparing this to the weber unit, this is WAY more stable.

With the weber one sausage, fish and maybe a couple of racks of ribs not much more than that.

I would have no problem loading a brisket on one side and some ribs or chicken on the other side.

One downer, seems as if you lose about an inch over the weber rack, in this setup you need as much as you can get.  Inital plan was to get this and sell the weber rack but I think I can use both.  Here are some pics.

(https://c1.staticflickr.com/3/2940/33880447455_dbb7a59d70_c.jpg)

(https://c1.staticflickr.com/3/2882/33880447665_c0820f4212_c.jpg)

(https://c1.staticflickr.com/3/2922/33880448525_32f0298285_c.jpg)

This is the gap when I have it pushed all the way on the other side, no issues of it falling if it slides.
(https://c1.staticflickr.com/3/2884/33750905641_9391140227_c.jpg)
Title: Re: Hanging Ribs!!!
Post by: jrob0144 on April 06, 2017, 03:26:20 PM
Thanks for posting those pics! I'm assuming the lid closes with no problems?


Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app (https://siteowners.tapatalk.com/byo/displayAndDownloadByoApp?rid=91018)
Title: Re: Hanging Ribs!!!
Post by: LightningBoldtz on April 06, 2017, 03:38:43 PM
Quote from: jrob0144 on April 06, 2017, 03:26:20 PM
Thanks for posting those pics! I'm assuming the lid closes with no problems?


Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app (https://siteowners.tapatalk.com/byo/displayAndDownloadByoApp?rid=91018)

Yup, no issues
Title: Re: Hanging Ribs!!!
Post by: Josh G on April 06, 2017, 03:42:07 PM
Looks like a good fit.  Let's see something cooking on there!!!
Title: Re: Hanging Ribs!!!
Post by: mrgoodbar67 on April 06, 2017, 04:57:29 PM
Man I want that rack!   Anyone have the order link for the 18 inch?


Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app (https://siteowners.tapatalk.com/byo/displayAndDownloadByoApp?rid=91018)
Title: Re: Hanging Ribs!!!
Post by: LightningBoldtz on April 06, 2017, 06:13:57 PM
Quote from: mrgoodbar67 on April 06, 2017, 04:57:29 PM
Man I want that rack!   Anyone have the order link for the 18 inch?


Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app (https://siteowners.tapatalk.com/byo/displayAndDownloadByoApp?rid=91018)

https://www.gatewaydrumsmokers.com/Rib-Hanger-Kit-p/10630.htm
Title: Re: Hanging Ribs!!!
Post by: mrgoodbar67 on April 07, 2017, 09:43:44 PM
@LightningBoldtz how strong/ tough do those welds look on the gateway?  Strong enough to not break? just asking

i may end up selling my Weber 18 in hanging rack and buy the gateway instead.
Title: Re: Hanging Ribs!!!
Post by: LightningBoldtz on April 08, 2017, 02:20:59 AM
Quote from: mrgoodbar67 on April 07, 2017, 09:43:44 PM
@LightningBoldtz how strong/ tough do those welds look on the gateway?  Strong enough to not break? just asking

i may end up selling my Weber 18 in hanging rack and buy the gateway instead.

Yes, I have no issue hanging a decent size brisket from this thing.
Title: Re: Hanging Ribs!!!
Post by: LightningBoldtz on April 08, 2017, 05:47:10 AM
Quote from: LightningBoldtz on April 08, 2017, 02:20:59 AM
Quote from: mrgoodbar67 on April 07, 2017, 09:43:44 PM
@LightningBoldtz how strong/ tough do those welds look on the gateway?  Strong enough to not break? just asking

i may end up selling my Weber 18 in hanging rack and buy the gateway instead.

Yes, I have no issue hanging a decent size brisket from this thing.
Here are a couple of pics(https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170408/11e24581322b01faf0993a3ca52c8d83.jpg)

(https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170408/bec18653589f16804d9dd6c7080a371b.jpg)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Weber Kettle Club mobile app (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=91018)

Title: Re: Hanging Ribs!!!
Post by: LightningBoldtz on April 08, 2017, 12:14:33 PM
Here's my first run with the hanger.

Top Vent open all the way and one vent open on the bottom  this thing ran at 275 the entire time.

(https://c1.staticflickr.com/3/2910/33875929346_c45926d2f1_c.jpg)

(https://c1.staticflickr.com/3/2941/33875926126_967dc18224_c.jpg)

(https://c2.staticflickr.com/4/3931/33760075942_a8341bf5ea_c.jpg)

The chicken is done and it tastes so good, ribs are foiled and back on the WSM.
Title: Re: Hanging Ribs!!!
Post by: jrob0144 on April 13, 2017, 08:12:13 PM
Ordered mine yesterday for my 18" WSM. It's supposed to be here tomorrow. Might have to go get some chickens for this weekend and test it out! I'm so excited lol


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Title: Re: Hanging Ribs!!!
Post by: Kneab on April 14, 2017, 03:46:36 AM
(https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170414/e14ee918bafb70c85527fd94a73d6bb1.jpg)
What is that in your water bowl?
Pumice or ceramic stone?
I have been running foil balls in my bowl but have a box of pumice rocks I was thinking about using.
Title: Re: Hanging Ribs!!!
Post by: LightningBoldtz on April 14, 2017, 06:36:02 AM
Charbroil ceramic briquettes from Menards for 7.99.
Title: Re: Hanging Ribs!!!
Post by: mrgoodbar67 on April 14, 2017, 07:45:25 AM
Thats seems cool.  What effect do they have?  Is there water inside too?
Title: Re: Hanging Ribs!!!
Post by: LightningBoldtz on April 14, 2017, 10:49:25 AM
NO water, just put a Alum pan over.  I don't like to mess with the nasty water.
Title: Re: Hanging Ribs!!!
Post by: mrgoodbar67 on April 14, 2017, 11:31:16 AM
so what do you do to the ceramic briqs after a cook? simply wash?

I bet the sounds they make as the fat and juices drip on to them is awesome.
Title: Re: Hanging Ribs!!!
Post by: kvespestad on September 05, 2017, 04:51:35 PM
3 racks of baby backs and 4 chicken halves using Weber's rack for the 22 but with hooks from Pit Barrel Cooker Co. Worked really well.

[attachment deleted by admin]
Title: Re: Hanging Ribs!!!
Post by: FTTH on September 06, 2017, 09:06:46 AM
If I ever saw the hanging rack available I'd buy it and then get the WSM to fit it. In that order.


Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app (https://siteowners.tapatalk.com/byo/displayAndDownloadByoApp?rid=91018)
Title: Re: Hanging Ribs!!!
Post by: Dsorgnzd on September 06, 2017, 03:17:58 PM
Quote from: FTTH on September 06, 2017, 09:06:46 AM
If I ever saw the hanging rack available I'd buy it and then get the WSM to fit it. In that order.


Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app (https://siteowners.tapatalk.com/byo/displayAndDownloadByoApp?rid=91018)
The Gateway Drum Smokers racks are still available.
Title: Re: Hanging Ribs!!!
Post by: jrob0144 on September 06, 2017, 04:24:41 PM
I absolutely love my gateway hanger. It seems way more solid than the weber rack. Hanging chicken is probably my favorite. But you can't beat some ribs by the hanging method.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Title: Re: Hanging Ribs!!!
Post by: FTTH on September 07, 2017, 07:53:42 AM
How would you say the weber 22 with gateway hanging rack compares to the Gateway or PBC drum?


Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app (https://siteowners.tapatalk.com/byo/displayAndDownloadByoApp?rid=91018)
Title: Re: Hanging Ribs!!!
Post by: jrob0144 on September 07, 2017, 09:23:36 AM
I don't have any experience with the PBC but the 22" WSM cooks exactly like a gateway drum when you don't use the water pan. They are both about the same size (a gateway is about 22" in diameter). If you already have a WSM then to me the gateway hanger is the way to go. You're going to get the exact same results between the WSM and the gateway. The PBC is a different smaller animal but I see it cooking the same food.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk