I'm wondering if any grillfellas have performers and OTGs and think they could easily downsize to just a few OTGs. Bottom line is I'm considering selling a performer which is my go to cooker which will leave me with some OTGs and an older MT.
My only problem with the performer that annoys the hell out of me is how the charcoal bin tilts out. Not sure why, but it does. I love having the side table but I could always use a patio table to stage or even get some plywood and make one. Thoughts please. Thanks for the time.
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"I love having the side table but I could always use a patio table to stage or even get some plywood and make one"
Sounds like you answered your own question right here. You could also remove the charcoal tilt bin and figure out your own storage. Do what makes you happy.
Charcoal bin only tilts out if you pull it out. If it bothers you that much, remove it like pbe gummi bear mentioned and use that area for other storage solution. For me it is always nice to have a performer with the table and a gas assist lighting even if I can pull up another kettle or table beside it.
If it came down to a space issue and I could keep only 2 stand alone kettle ( for me would be MT) vs 1 performer, I might go with 2 MT. It is hard to say and something I don't want to think about.... but don't follow the crowd, do what is right for you.
Personally, I would get rid of everything else before my performer. It's just so convenient.
Remove the charcoal bin and bend the wire rack where the bin sits slightly inward to add more tension to the bin "feet". This should prevent it from moving so freely. Keep em all!
Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app (https://siteowners.tapatalk.com/byo/displayAndDownloadByoApp?rid=91018)
I like that idea Steve! Have you done it before?
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yeah. Not sure what happened but they got bent out. I would go outside and the bin would be hanging out.
Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app (https://siteowners.tapatalk.com/byo/displayAndDownloadByoApp?rid=91018)
Yep. That's my issue with it. A light breeze and you hear the bin fly open. Thanks for the tips and suggestions fellas. As always if I do sell anything the WKC gets first dibs.
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Quote from: kettlebb on March 03, 2017, 05:31:38 PM
Yep. That's my issue with it. A light breeze and you hear the bin fly open. Thanks for the tips and suggestions fellas. As always if I do sell anything the WKC gets first dibs.
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
You could always put a short bungee on it to keep it pulled in until you need it.
I'm new to the performer and really like it's conveniences but I have already gravitated back to using the ots and 26 just like I have done for years. I have a dedicated expanded steel black patio table that serves me well. Honestly, I think the attached table is an annoyance. After cooking for so long with access to all sides of the grill, the table just seems in the way and easily replaced by a simple patio table that can be used by all of the grills. It's too new and can't part with it yet but right now it would be the first to go. Gas assist is nice but no big deal when you have a lighting routine down without it.
Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app (https://siteowners.tapatalk.com/byo/displayAndDownloadByoApp?rid=91018)
Great question by the way. I would take a otg any day.
Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app (https://siteowners.tapatalk.com/byo/displayAndDownloadByoApp?rid=91018)
Take my opinion with a grain of salt. I've been known to change my mind once I've had the opportunity to use a grill for awhile. Ultimately it comes down to the individual and what features in a grill best suit them.
Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app (https://siteowners.tapatalk.com/byo/displayAndDownloadByoApp?rid=91018)
I really like the convenience of having the table right there. I don't have to set up a tray or lay whatever on a patio table nearby. That being said. I cook on stand alone kettles more now than I do the performer, but still use the table. I do however keep all the junk one needs for grilling in that charcoal bin. Weird, I've never had it come open before.
All that being said, the performer would be the first to go if I downsized.
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Quote from: AZ Monsoon on March 03, 2017, 01:03:10 PM
Personally, I would get rid of everything else before my performer. It's just so convenient.
I'm with @AZ Monsoon. Because the area where I use the grill is so far from where the kitchens or office where I prep and eat my food I like the side table and storage in which I keep cleaning supplies, some wood chips/chunks and welders gloves.
Alas there's no perfect answer. It's all how you use your setup. Lots has to do with how YOU use your grill.
Sent from my LGLS991 using Weber Kettle Club mobile app (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=91018)
Personally, I'd keep the performer. I like the convenience of the table. I trashed the charcoal bin... never used it and it got in the way on the bottom shelf for storage.
I would keep the performer. I don't have any tables near my grilling area so the performer table is clutch. Plus I love using the gas assist.
That being said, if I had to choose between my 26" and my performer I would choose my 26".
Charcoal bin :o Charcoal bin :o I've been using that rubber tub for my iced down beer ;) 8) Keep the Performer !!!
SJ
I also like the fact performer is a touch taller
That would be a hard decision for me. I like the table of the Performer since I don't have any tables near where I grill. I don't use the charcoal bin so I could do without it. One reason I would get rid of the Performer would be to free up some space since I have a lot of grills and smokers in a fairly small area.
Wayne
I listed the performer here today. I can get a patio table to solve that problem. I've been cooking with the OTG the last two weeks just to prove I can do without. If it doesn't sell no biggie but it is the first to get listed of the bunch.
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I've never had any issues with my charcoal bin blowing open, melting, filling with water or urine, etc.
I find it pretty convenient actually. My charcoal is there when I need it for my performer or the other grills parked nearby.
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
This is a hard one to answer because for me my grass green performer is my "showing off" grill. My all black mastertouch clone with weber work table 7413 is my heavy hitter. So I would keep my mastertouch clone with table over my performer.
Sent from my SM-J700P using Weber Kettle Club mobile app (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=91018)
I have mad my Performer for 4 days and continue to find uses for the table and bottom wire rack. The table is especially handy to place my beer when I need two hands for grill related work
I put a trash bag in the bin
so a trash can is never out of reach.
Too much humidity here to store
charcoal outside.
I'd go with the performer.
Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Weber Kettle Club mobile app (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=91018)
I'd keep the performer or keep both. I don't use the bin for charcoal storage on either of mine because it'll just suck up humidity outside. I removed the bun from one performer and sat a 20 lb propane tank on the wire shelf in the space this freed up and the other performer's bin is still on the grill but empty.
I love everything about my ssp but if i had to choose between the side table or the gas assist... it would be the gas assist
Sent from my SM-G930V using Weber Kettle Club mobile app (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=91018)
So i guess I'd keep the performer
Sent from my SM-G930V using Weber Kettle Club mobile app (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=91018)
I keep the cover in the bin.
I like the performers height, gas assist, and table.
But they are both grest grills, I guess space would be the big factor, if you have the room performer as it is a OTG with better wheels, and table.
I do love mine.
Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Weber Kettle Club mobile app (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=91018)