Weber Kettle Club Forums

Grill Talk => Weber Kettle Forum => Topic started by: greenweb on July 25, 2016, 01:39:12 PM

Title: Redhead Score in Toronto
Post by: greenweb on July 25, 2016, 01:39:12 PM
I just scored really nice oddball Redhead.   I figures both MrHoss and MacEggs are too far away and don't need anymore Redheads anyways. Also, I could not let this get in the wrong hand. Trying to keep it in WKC family.  So....

Last evening, I e-mailed the seller 2hrs after the posted ad.   I did not get any reply for like 4hrs so I thought I lost it. Later, she e-mails back saying that they were out on some function all day. I was first in line and ask me if I can pick up next day.  Cool!  My sisters family is only 5min away from the seller, but I drive 50min. to pick it up today.

It needs to be cleaned up as usual, but looks to be in real good shape.  All vents move freely and they are nice and tight against the bowl. It comes with old but usable Weber cover, hinged grill grate like on my 90's MT, Charcoal racks, Warming rack.  It is EI code but it has daisy vents. How likely is it to have these vents on 97 as the ash swiper one touch sys. came on at 83.  It also has black triangle and no white wall wheels. Wheels have Weber on them. I don't think I have seen this before.  Maybe just missing white part.  I don't know.


Anyways, I took some before and after pics.

Before:
(http://pics.weberkettleclub.com/images/2016/07/25/2016-07-2502.43.37.jpg)
(http://pics.weberkettleclub.com/images/2016/07/25/2016-07-2502.43.15.jpg)
(http://pics.weberkettleclub.com/images/2016/07/25/2016-07-2502.40.58.jpg)
(http://pics.weberkettleclub.com/images/2016/07/25/2016-07-2502.37.30.jpg)
(http://pics.weberkettleclub.com/images/2016/07/25/2016-07-2502.36.51.jpg)
(http://pics.weberkettleclub.com/images/2016/07/25/2016-07-2502.36.25.jpg)

After

(http://pics.weberkettleclub.com/images/2016/07/25/2016-07-2503.53.59.jpg)
(http://pics.weberkettleclub.com/images/2016/07/25/2016-07-2503.53.24.jpg)
(http://pics.weberkettleclub.com/images/2016/07/25/2016-07-2503.51.52.jpg)
(http://pics.weberkettleclub.com/images/2016/07/25/2016-07-2503.54.22.jpg)
(http://pics.weberkettleclub.com/images/2016/07/25/2016-07-2503.49.48.jpg)
(http://pics.weberkettleclub.com/images/2016/07/25/2016-07-2503.53.36.jpg)

Redheads together

(http://pics.weberkettleclub.com/images/2016/07/25/2016-07-2504.16.37.jpg)

Between 2 Mastertouch

(http://pics.weberkettleclub.com/images/2016/07/25/2016-07-2504.21.00.jpg)

Thanks,



Title: Re: Redhead Score in Toronto
Post by: MacEggs on July 25, 2016, 02:53:58 PM
Nice score, dude!  I didn't see the ad until this morning.  I inquired, but got no reply back.

Damn .... Those wheels look very cool.  The wheels with the whitewall have holes in them.

Is that rim rash in the second pic??  No matter.  Looks very nice, overall.

I trust you did not pay more than the asking price ....   :-X :-X ;) ;)
Title: Re: Redhead Score in Toronto
Post by: LightningBoldtz on July 25, 2016, 03:05:01 PM
it's  a Red economy without the economy triangle.
Title: Re: Redhead Score in Toronto
Post by: greenweb on July 25, 2016, 03:48:26 PM
Quote from: MacEggs on July 25, 2016, 02:53:58 PM
Nice score, dude!  I didn't see the ad until this morning.  I inquired, but got no reply back.

Damn .... Those wheels look very cool.  The wheels with the whitewall have holes in them.

Is that rim rash in the second pic??  No matter.  Looks very nice, overall.

I trust you did not pay more than the asking price ....   :-X :-X ;) ;)

Thank! I was going to PM you last night, but did not know if I can score this or not. I got lucky again.  So, what kind of wheels are these. Never seen them before.   The rim rash shown on second pic is the only flaw on it.  The lid is nice and level on a flat ground which is nice. No other flaws or chips on the lid or the bowl. Leg sockets are rock solid too.  Pretty nice for $30 Can.  What is that like in US-  $17.  :) :) :)   Someone up it to $40 and I said I don't mind paying that.  When I went to pick it up, Seller's husband came out and saw how excited I was... said $30 is fine.

I have been scoring few interesting kettles lately and you and MrHoss been super cool about it.  I will make it up to you guys next time by offering up next few if I get to it first.  I will also be in contact with you guys when something comes up.  We need to keep things in the family, so to speak. :) :) :)

Quote from: LightningBoldtz on July 25, 2016, 03:05:01 PM
it's  a Red economy without the economy triangle.

Are you saying the powercoated black is economy version( cheaper version or reg. chrome plated ) like the one with no ribs on the triangle. I have one of those kettle.  Not quite understanding that logic.

Also, who has wheels like this.  Anyone know anything about these.
Thanks,

Title: Re: Redhead Score in Toronto
Post by: Travis on July 25, 2016, 03:51:46 PM



Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app (https://siteowners.tapatalk.com/byo/displayAndDownloadByoApp?rid=91018)
Title: Re: Redhead Score in Toronto
Post by: Neil_VT00 on July 25, 2016, 04:16:02 PM
Nice pickup.  I'm with @MacEggs, I'm digging those wheels.  I think they are just economy kettle wheels.
Title: Re: Redhead Score in Toronto
Post by: greenweb on July 25, 2016, 04:45:08 PM
Both of you Neil_VT00 and LightningBoldtz saying economy kettle ......so must be it.   Any thread open on this topic.  I would like to know more about this.

Another question for experts-  how likely is it to have 1997 with daisy wheels, hinged grill grate, charcoal racks on a economy model back then.  I just find all this interesting.

Thanks,
Title: Re: Redhead Score in Toronto
Post by: Neil_VT00 on July 25, 2016, 05:43:17 PM
I've never seen a good thread on the economy kettle, just picked up little bits here and there.  My understanding is that they come with daisy wheels, the simple triangle, and wheels with no white-walls. I also think that there is a Sears/Kenmore economy kettle that has the same features and has unmarked vents which are screwed on as opposed to riveted.

I'm not sure what years they were sold or how prevalent they are. It seems a little strange to me to have a non-black economy kettle.

Title: Re: Redhead Score in Toronto
Post by: greenweb on July 25, 2016, 06:43:01 PM
@ Neil_VT00-  thanks!  Your comment made more clear why this still have the daisy wheels as most of kettles after 1983 went to One Touch sys.   Even so, it is probably not that common to have late 90's kettles with daisy wheels.  I also get LightningBoldtz's - it's  a Red economy without the economy triangle. Question is why would Weber but power-coated triangle on a economy model.  Post some pics if anyone have one of these late 90's kettles with 3 bottom vents, pc triangle and black wall wheels.

You are also spot on about Sears/Kenmore economy kettles.  This is what I found searching for Redhead Economy kettle.  http://weberkettleclub.com/forums/weber-kettles-accessories/economy-redhead/

I still can not find anything on this kettle. Very interesting!  Hope you other experts can shed some light on this subject.
Title: Re: Redhead Score in Toronto
Post by: Cellar2ful on July 25, 2016, 07:00:23 PM
Quote from: greenweb on July 25, 2016, 03:48:26 PM
Quote from: MacEggs on July 25, 2016, 02:53:58 PM


Damn .... Those wheels look very cool.  The wheels with the whitewall have holes in them.



Also, who has wheels like this.  Anyone know anything about these.
Thanks,

I have a Weber Baby Q and cart that have wheels like that. I purchased it new in either 2004 or 2005.  The wheels actually have whitewalls that cover the Weber name embossed in the black wheel. One side that is exposed to the sun has rotted off and exposed the Weber embossing. Hope that helps as I don't know anything else regarding the wheels.
Title: Re: Redhead Score in Toronto
Post by: Ken Mc on July 26, 2016, 08:29:50 AM
my gray i picked up has the same wheels and the black triangle. I also picked up an EI, red this weekend. daisy wheels, black wheels and triangle.
Title: Re: Redhead Score in Toronto
Post by: Bob BQ on July 26, 2016, 09:09:06 AM
I'm wondering if it just has a replacement lid... would an economy model have the red mist? I would think a red economy would be more along the lines of something like this:

(http://i1335.photobucket.com/albums/w667/BobBQ13/economy%20redhead_zpslke7z7im.jpg) (http://s1335.photobucket.com/user/BobBQ13/media/economy%20redhead_zpslke7z7im.jpg.html)

Or would the one in my picture be a separate class of economy model (ie: Sears or Kmart)?
Title: Re: Redhead Score in Toronto
Post by: Darko on July 26, 2016, 09:25:22 AM
Yes. Mine has the mist.
Title: Re: Redhead Score in Toronto
Post by: Neil_VT00 on July 26, 2016, 09:57:41 AM
Just read that another econo-kettle feature is a single bowl handle.  See this thread. (http://weberkettleclub.com/forums/trading-post/cl-pickup-last-night/)
Title: Re: Redhead Score in Toronto
Post by: Darko on July 26, 2016, 10:09:09 AM
All Silvers had the single bowl handle.
Title: Re: Redhead Score in Toronto
Post by: greenweb on July 26, 2016, 03:12:19 PM
Quote from: Ken Mc on July 26, 2016, 08:29:50 AM
my gray i picked up has the same wheels and the black triangle. I also picked up an EI, red this weekend. daisy wheels, black wheels and triangle.

Did both your gray and red come with hinged grill grates?

Great info guys!  I have a theory based on the info you guys provided and some of my own research that this is not an economy model but a Special Edition similar to 2016 Special Edition Canadian Master-Touch. 

Back in late 90's, most of the Weber kettles produced were already using One touch system even in Black kettles.  I believe Weber came up with Retro Special Edition using few selected colors ( Red, Gray, ?) with VSM style daisy wheel vents, power-coated triangle (probably more expensive to produce), and to add more of the blacked out look-  wheels without the whitewalls.  This was one less step in their production process by not drilling holes and adding white wall trim, not anymore expensive but it enhanced the look they were going for. They also used top of the line hinged grill grate at the time. I am sure Reg. OTS kettles came with Reg. one piece grates. These kettles might have also came stock  charcoal holders and warming rack similar to new Master-Touch.

(Talking about Economy models, the newer style but pre taco handle kettles are interesting too. " Handles from 2000-2011 has pale white-grey and 2012- present day has charcoal grey color". My eco kettle is DZ 2008.  Other OTS is AU 2012. Both have diff. handles, ash pan, and the triangle.)  < I made some correction here. This part is all facts.

Nothing factual or confirmed findings. Just my assumption. I could be way off, but interesting nevertheless.  I find Weber history as a whole very fascinating.
Title: Re: Redhead Score in Toronto
Post by: TheDude on July 26, 2016, 05:16:08 PM
@Darko I have a silver with two handles.
Title: Re: Redhead Score in Toronto
Post by: MacEggs on July 26, 2016, 05:48:41 PM
@greenweb ...... Maybe I'm wrong ... been known to happen, but ...... maybe you're over-thinking this whole Weber Kettle thing ...  "very fascinating", indeed ..

I believe the daisy-wheels were available up until 1999-2000.  I'm sure the lid and bowl were of the same quality, but no One-Touch.

When it comes to the wheels and triangle, perhaps Weber kettle historian,  @Craig can shed some light on this ....
Title: Re: Redhead Score in Toronto
Post by: greenweb on July 26, 2016, 07:29:12 PM
Quote from: MacEggs on July 26, 2016, 05:48:41 PM
@greenweb ...... Maybe I'm wrong ... been known to happen, but ...... maybe you're over-thinking this whole Weber Kettle thing ...  "very fascinating", indeed ..

I believe the daisy-wheels were available up until 1999-2000.  I'm sure the lid and bowl were of the same quality, but no One-Touch.

When it comes to the wheels and triangle, perhaps Weber kettle historian,  @Craig can shed some light on this ....

You are absolutely correct!   I am overthinking it. 1983-"The "One Touch" sweeping and venting system is introduced. Initially this was a "premium" model before becoming Weber's standard kettle vent design by 2000". So yes it could have been common to have daisy wheel vents. But...

why Weber do this

- use screw on type wheel vents vs reg. riveted vents.( when did they start using VSM style vents)
- use no whitewall wheel to distinguish apart from reg kettles after all this kettle is Weber line.  other time was with Sears/Kenmore economy kettles to separate it from Weber lines of kettles.  plastic wheels (1977) to now has been always same on any models, so why change it . Only other time was with new MT  and Performer with hubcap wheel.
- Same with the triangle.  why power coat it to differentiate.   Chrome plated triangle has been always same on any kettles.
- Reds, Gray- wasn't this kind of rare color.   any blacks out there?   I tend to think the opposite of eco. kettles.
- I do agree and believe that the lid and the bowls were same.  New MT is same way with just diff. colors, better grates, warming rack and charcoal bins stock.
- It is possible- came stock with hinged grate, charcoal holder racks and warming racks like I got on mine.   then the assumption is upscale version.

To me, possibility of 90's Special Edition kettles are probable.  What if .  I figure I won't find out or satisfy my curiosity unless I put it out here.   @Craig or anyone ?





Title: Re: Redhead Score in Toronto
Post by: Craig on July 26, 2016, 07:42:43 PM
That's a killer redhead! Yes Weber did still offer Daisy vent kettles in the 1990s known as the BAR-B-KETTLE. One bowl handle, black wheels. For some reason, the black BBKs had the economy triangle but the red ones got the full triangle albeit in black. I believe the red BBKs were available at premium retailers, i.e. Ace Hardware etc. I have a 1995 One Touch red with the same misting on it. Id love to find a red 90s Daisy wheeler like this one. I prefer Daisy wheelers. Oh and yes the daisies were user installed in the 1990s. Presumably to save on manufacturing costs since by then, the BBKs were a basic kettle.
Title: Re: Redhead Score in Toronto
Post by: greenweb on July 26, 2016, 08:19:52 PM
Quote from: Craig on July 26, 2016, 07:42:43 PM
That's a killer redhead! Yes Weber did still offer Daisy vent kettles in the 1990s known as the BAR-B-KETTLE. One bowl handle, black wheels. For some reason, the black BBKs had the economy triangle but the red ones got the full triangle albeit in black. I believe the red BBKs were available at premium retailers, i.e. Ace Hardware etc. I have a 1995 One Touch red with the same misting on it. Id love to find a red 90s Daisy wheeler like this one. I prefer Daisy wheelers. Oh and yes the daisies were user installed in the 1990s. Presumably to save on manufacturing costs since by then, the BBKs were a basic kettle.

Thanks! That helps out tremendously.  Very interesting about having to install your own vents. Actually all of it is interesting.  Yes, I was surprised with daisy wheels. I was  expecting One Touch Sys. as I believe it to be more common although it was optional till year 2000.
Thanks!