Weber Kettle Club Forums

Cooking & Food Talk => Charcoal Grilling & BBQ => Topic started by: fedex on November 27, 2015, 01:46:23 AM

Title: Rub Question
Post by: fedex on November 27, 2015, 01:46:23 AM
There is a Beef rub I've heard allot about but I can't find the name.  Takona? Tanaka?  tried googleing.  No info.  I think it's made in N. or S. Dakota.  Little help please.  Thanks
Title: Re: Rub Question
Post by: swamprb on November 27, 2015, 02:05:58 AM
Owens BBQ Tatonka Dust.
Title: Re: Rub Question
Post by: fedex on November 27, 2015, 07:35:46 AM
Thanks allot
Title: Re: Rub Question
Post by: Big Dawg on November 27, 2015, 10:11:33 AM
Here's (http://www.owensbbq.com/index.html) their website.





BD
Title: Re: Rub Question
Post by: Stringplucker1 on December 01, 2015, 07:18:33 AM
I bought a Vortex from Owens BBQ about a month ago and got a free jar of Tatonka Dust, although I've yet to try it. It sure has an interesting ingredient list, with activated charcoal near the top.
Title: Re: Rub Question
Post by: MikeRocksTheRed on December 01, 2015, 07:24:55 AM
Quote from: Stringplucker1 on December 01, 2015, 07:18:33 AM
I bought a Vortex from Owens BBQ about a month ago and got a free jar of Tatonka Dust, although I've yet to try it. It sure has an interesting ingredient list, with activated charcoal near the top.

It is a little strange looking.  I've tried it on a few things.  I've put it on vortex wings and don't really notice a difference between it and my default seasoning (seaoned salt, garlic powder, onion powder, pepper), but I did apply it a bit heavier on the Turkey breast I did for the Turkey throw down and it really helped me get a nice dark crust.  I think its a great rub for adding to everything to help get a nice dark bark or skin.

Did you get a sample of their wing rub?  The vinegar powder is a very interesting ingredient.  I think it gives the wings a slight blue cheese flavor.

(http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/11/25/6db5d395391ec78dbc71f0e5293b661d.jpg)
Title: Re: Rub Question
Post by: brandenpro on December 01, 2015, 07:59:19 PM
Excellent on tri tip.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Title: Re: Rub Question
Post by: Jon on December 03, 2015, 11:13:19 PM
And it is good on tri tip. I wouldn't use it as an all-purpose rub, it's just ok tasting on veg and poultry to my taste. Not worth how it colors all food black with the activated charcoal. But it is dynamite on beef. I have always tried rubs, but always went back to S&P for beef. Until Tatonka.

I mis-ordered from Owens BBQ and had to return and re-order. When emailing about the return Tanya Owens told me: "Keep the rub." Then another Tatonka shaker showed up with the corrected order. So I ended up with two shakers and I'm into the second one already. And I'll re-up when that is done.

I know that I hide it well, but I laugh every time I say or type "Tatonka." There...I just did it again. Jeez.
Title: Re: Rub Question
Post by: feeshrman on December 08, 2015, 05:29:06 PM
Tatonka Dust is good stuff, I've used it on a lot of steak cooks and need to order some more now.