(http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/08/05/aqu8ymy4.jpg)(http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/08/05/7unadyje.jpg)
Looks like it's grey. Definitely not black. New to this so any ID help is appreciated. Thanks.
Faded black. The greys are not "speckled" to my knowledge.
and
I will give you $6 for that.
Looks like a faded black to me..... Definitely not grey
I'd say it's mid to early 70's but would need to see the wheels and bottom vent to confirm
$6.....Bargain!!!
It's grey now! Hah!
Quote from: Andrew on August 04, 2014, 06:30:25 PM
It's grey now! Hah!
Want to see the original black color of your kettle?
You got any PAM cooking spray? Wipe down the lid with some water first, then spray some PAM onto the lid and rub it in.
Bet it's black now! The oil rejuvenates some of the pigment in the porcelain. It wears off after a while and needs to be reapplied, so if you like the gray look, you can just wait a while and do a few cooks on it.
Quote from: MaxBobcat on August 04, 2014, 06:33:14 PM
Quote from: Andrew on August 04, 2014, 06:30:25 PM
It's grey now! Hah!
Want to see the original black color of your kettle?
You got any PAM cooking spray? Wipe down the lid with some water first, then spray some PAM onto the lid and rub it in.
Bet it's black now! The oil rejuvenates some of the pigment in the porcelain. It wears off after a while and needs to be reapplied, so if you like the gray look, you can just wait a while and do a few cooks on it.
It's the "Just for Men" for vintage black fade kettles.
Yeah...not sure I want to do much to the outside. The inside needs some good cleaning, and I think I'll take off and refinish the wood handle. Then it needs one of the metal handles reattached somehow, and it has a few rust spots which I might just leave, as matching the just for men grey would be tricky. I've also read here that the spray paint eventually peels off anyway.
Great score!
It's going to take some cleaning. Using a high speed drill and wire brush that brown gunk under the black gunk is really a pain. Anybody else try to get that stuff off? PS the drill and wire brush combo, even pushing on it as hard as I can does not scratch the porcelain.
Very nice pickup.
Nice find Andrew! Are you talking about the brown/black stuff on the inside of the bowl? A razor blade scraper is the best for this for sure. Many times the old crud will just peel back like a thick layer of paint. Definitely give it a shot! it will save you a lot of work...
Here's a similar scenario of fade vs grey... do you guys think this is a super faded black?
(http://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/NzY4WDEwMjQ=/z/JpkAAOSwGzlTxw5s/$_20.JPG)
Yes.....as gray is very solid gray & lighter.....
(http://i1223.photobucket.com/albums/dd520/1buckie/Cookers%202012/new%20cookers%202013/3I13Fd3J95Le5If5K7d5m0a31b7f87bcd1684.jpg)
Here's Greg's dualies :
(http://i1223.photobucket.com/albums/dd520/1buckie/Cookers%202012/new%20cookers%202013/70A6E98B-9840-4A8B-A5AD-8FDA4EFA9C6A_zpsoucxvesl.jpg)
and next to a Black, a shined up black, but it's way different.....
(http://i1223.photobucket.com/albums/dd520/1buckie/Cookers%202012/new%20cookers%202013/634E6431-0710-4476-9864-47A7497B1402_zpsxuubhfhj.jpg)
Here's a question for the History Dept.......is there any examples of an actual gray with metal bowl handles?
that may end some confusion on these things.....
Maybe the 1962 26" silver "ish" gray color. Or the White Whale....Plainsmen right? The Plainsmen has a fade or mist to the lid though.
If you come in contact with a true gray, you will notice almost immediately. I think I have a black in the stable that
hasn't seen some Pam. I will try to take a picture when time allows. Put some spit on your finger and rub a spot,
the truth will come hiding from below.
Thanks Buckie, for showing my grays! They have a different hue I just noticed. :o
Quote from: Jeff on August 05, 2014, 07:55:09 AM
Maybe the 1962 26" silver "ish" gray color. Or the White Whale....Plainsmen right? The Plainsmen has a fade or mist to the lid though.
You find a White Whale and you'll KNOW the difference !!!!
Grilling the veggies on the black fader tonight!
Quote from: Jeff on August 05, 2014, 07:55:09 AM
Maybe the 1962 26" silver "ish" gray color. Or the White Whale....Plainsmen right? The Plainsmen has a fade or mist to the lid though.
Here is my early 60's Plainsman. Nice two tone gray.
(http://i1283.photobucket.com/albums/a553/slieberman92/TravelerM_zps472ff65a.jpg) (http://s1283.photobucket.com/user/slieberman92/media/TravelerM_zps472ff65a.jpg.html)