Weber Kettle Club Forums

Grill Talk => Weber Kettle Forum => Topic started by: MaxBobcat on May 25, 2014, 02:11:22 PM

Title: Caribbean Clean-up
Post by: MaxBobcat on May 25, 2014, 02:11:22 PM
A number of weeks ago I managed to score an Avocado kettle.  This is a 22" Avocado Patent Pending Kettle AKA "The Caribbean".  Shout out to Ramsfan and LightningBoltdz for helping me find out about and get the grill.  Big kudos to LightningBoltdz who was the agent and did a great job packaging and shipping it securely.  The grill was in a great shape to start out with, so this was a simple clean-up and handle restoration and some new legs thrown on.  On to the pictures...

Some before pics...

(http://i.imgur.com/lHyaRkwl.jpg)

(http://i.imgur.com/FFBiGSVl.jpg)

Starting work on the vent...

(http://i.imgur.com/vOjws0fl.jpg)

Little by little it gets better...

(http://i.imgur.com/SYEYh6Wl.jpg)

(http://i.imgur.com/PrHkoUil.jpg)

(http://i.imgur.com/UZ9iGpWl.jpg)

Still some sort of weird marks that almost look like pitting.  I've tried a couple different cleansers and #0000 steel wool, along with Simichrome, but can't get these out.  I'd appreciate any advice.

(http://i.imgur.com/OhAGINBl.jpg)

On to the handle...

Sanded it down first...

(http://i.imgur.com/2winicbl.jpg)

I took HarborMaster's advice and used Teak Oil.   ;D

(http://i.imgur.com/rs78nP4l.jpg)

(http://i.imgur.com/jeRzKuvl.jpg)

Then I applied a couple coats of Glossy Polyurethane and this was the finished result...

(http://i.imgur.com/I7wNKj2l.jpg)

(http://i.imgur.com/o4vFA0sl.jpg)

Cleaned all the old ash out of the bowl and got it all cleaned up...

(http://i.imgur.com/FXwCPEIl.jpg)

Found some Avocado spray inside the bowl near the tabs..

(http://i.imgur.com/SbaGp8Kl.jpg)

Put on some new legs and triangle and here she is all put together...

(http://i.imgur.com/ZDcFo2al.jpg)

(http://i.imgur.com/WnSOJQKl.jpg)

I would like to rehab the wheels a little to fix the whitewalls, so I've got that planned to do sometime this Summer.  Also, I tried all sort of cleansers and even CLR on the Ash Pan, but couldn't get some of the gunk off, kind of like the vent, it seems etched in the metal. Again, any advice is appreciated.

(http://i.imgur.com/Tg7gnWgl.jpg)

Thanks for looking!


Title: Re: Caribbean Clean-up
Post by: Cuda Dan on May 25, 2014, 02:16:17 PM
Get work on the resto of the Avocado kettle!
Title: Re: Caribbean Clean-up
Post by: SixZeroFour on May 25, 2014, 02:19:51 PM
Stunning!
Title: Re: Caribbean Clean-up
Post by: crumbsnatcher on May 25, 2014, 02:28:14 PM
Wow!  I wish I can score a kettle like that one day!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Title: Re: Caribbean Clean-up
Post by: Harbormaster on May 25, 2014, 02:29:14 PM
That is a sharp avocado.

Nice score and nice teamwork fellas!
Title: Re: Caribbean Clean-up
Post by: etruax on May 25, 2014, 02:32:28 PM
Inspiring find/restore.
Title: Re: Caribbean Clean-up
Post by: kendoll on May 25, 2014, 02:33:35 PM
Wow! That looks amazing and is in fantastic condition. Very nice work.

Ken
Title: Re: Caribbean Clean-up
Post by: Weber MD on May 25, 2014, 02:46:40 PM
Looking good.
Title: Re: Caribbean Clean-up
Post by: AnakiMana on May 25, 2014, 03:16:13 PM
Pitted aluminum is hard (impossible?) to fix. I have no experience doing it, but there's a lot to read if you Google "fix pitted aluminum".

Sent via smoke signals from my Weber kettle

Title: Re: Caribbean Clean-up
Post by: Duke on May 25, 2014, 03:32:01 PM
Very nice Max!
Title: Re: Caribbean Clean-up
Post by: salad on May 25, 2014, 03:35:17 PM
Very nice.  Wish I could find a clean Caribbean. 
Title: Re: Caribbean Clean-up
Post by: jimmy_dong on May 25, 2014, 04:15:37 PM
So....when can I pick this one up?
Title: Re: Caribbean Clean-up
Post by: Peaspurple on May 25, 2014, 05:07:52 PM
Very nice.
Title: Re: Caribbean Clean-up
Post by: Yuminator on May 25, 2014, 05:47:31 PM
Beautiful score and restoration.  IMHO, the teak oil and glossy polyurethane finish on the handle looks especially good with the 'cado.
Title: Re: Caribbean Clean-up
Post by: 1911Ron on May 25, 2014, 06:11:57 PM
Very nice looks great!
Title: Re: Caribbean Clean-up
Post by: MINIgrillin on May 25, 2014, 06:26:51 PM
Dremel tool.

Might wanna test it on another grill first tho.

Awesome work bringing some color to Texas fellas.
Title: Re: Caribbean Clean-up
Post by: jcnaz on May 25, 2014, 06:52:33 PM
Nice work!
Title: Re: Caribbean Clean-up
Post by: Craig on May 25, 2014, 07:52:33 PM
Nice find! Of all the "mist" kettles, the Cados are my favorite!
Title: Re: Caribbean Clean-up
Post by: harris92 on May 26, 2014, 05:25:10 AM
Beautiful avocado. Congrats! :)
Title: Re: Caribbean Clean-up
Post by: G$ on May 26, 2014, 06:32:24 AM
Love it.  Nice job!
Title: Re: Caribbean Clean-up
Post by: 5280Jeff on May 26, 2014, 07:12:50 AM
Great job!
Title: Re: Caribbean Clean-up
Post by: LightningBoldtz on May 26, 2014, 05:24:12 PM
I never thought I would get agents remorse but I had it with this one.  She was beautiful when I picked it up and Max you did an amazing job cleaning it up after that.

My agents remorse lasted a week then I found a Red Master-touch for $30 and forgot all about it.   :)

Glad I could help out Max glad everything worked out with the shipping.

oh and What did it take to get the daisy wheels spinning again?
Title: Re: Caribbean Clean-up
Post by: MaxBobcat on May 26, 2014, 05:28:06 PM
Quote from: LightningBoldtz on May 26, 2014, 05:24:12 PM
I never thought I would get agents remorse but I had it with this one.  She was beautiful when I picked it up and Max you did an amazing job cleaning it up after that.

My agents remorse lasted a week then I found a Red Master-touch for $30 and forgot all about it.   :)

Glad I could help out Max glad everything worked out with the shipping.

oh and What did it take to get the daisy wheels spinning again?

Haha!  She is in good hands.  Next time you're in Texas, come on down and we can grill a couple steaks on her.  My treat.   ;D

Used hot water to clean out the gunk in the daisy wheels and then a degreaser cleanser.  Works great now. 
Title: Re: Caribbean Clean-up
Post by: MacEggs on May 27, 2014, 04:25:25 AM
Very impressive restoration, Max!  Looks nearly new.  :D 8)
Title: Re: Caribbean Clean-up
Post by: teerhardy on May 27, 2014, 04:38:18 AM
Great job!
Title: Re: Caribbean Clean-up
Post by: coldkettle on May 27, 2014, 08:17:17 PM
Very nice work!  Looks like fun!


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk