Weber Kettle Club Forums

Grill Talk => Weber Kettle Forum => Topic started by: Cuda Dan on May 20, 2014, 11:40:26 AM

Title: Missing a Hub Cap on your kettle I have a quick fix?
Post by: Cuda Dan on May 20, 2014, 11:40:26 AM
I was in a pinch to move my kettle (yes #4  red head) and the wheel keeps falling off, missing the hub cap. So I went to the garage and to found something to keep the wheel on the axle shaft. Could not find a retaining washer so I start looking in my parts bins and I find some left over fuel line the diameter is about 5/16.
(http://i1311.photobucket.com/albums/s675/Cuda_Dan/Missing%20hub%20cap/endoffuelline_zps75512cce.jpg) (http://s1311.photobucket.com/user/Cuda_Dan/media/Missing%20hub%20cap/endoffuelline_zps75512cce.jpg.html)
I cut a piece 1/4 in length. So I take it out to the yard and try to push it onto the axle shaft, it works perfectly.

(http://i1311.photobucket.com/albums/s675/Cuda_Dan/Missing%20hub%20cap/2FuellineonAxleshaft_zpsfc5cbe2b.jpg) (http://s1311.photobucket.com/user/Cuda_Dan/media/Missing%20hub%20cap/2FuellineonAxleshaft_zpsfc5cbe2b.jpg.html)
(http://i1311.photobucket.com/albums/s675/Cuda_Dan/Missing%20hub%20cap/2FuellineonAxleshaft_zpsfc5cbe2b.jpg) (http://s1311.photobucket.com/user/Cuda_Dan/media/Missing%20hub%20cap/2FuellineonAxleshaft_zpsfc5cbe2b.jpg.html)


Pulled the kettle around go to go wheel has not come off.
Hope this helps you if you are missing your hub caps.
CD
Title: Re: Missing a Hub Cap on your kettle I have a quick fix?
Post by: pbe gummi bear on May 20, 2014, 12:30:51 PM
Great tip, Dan. I've also used a Ziptie in a pinch.
Title: Re: Missing a Hub Cap on your kettle I have a quick fix?
Post by: Duke on May 20, 2014, 12:38:05 PM
I like that fuel line idea.
Title: Re: Missing a Hub Cap on your kettle I have a quick fix?
Post by: Cuda Dan on May 20, 2014, 01:05:53 PM
Thanks you for the thank you's: dazzo, landgraftj.
Gummi I tried a tie wrap but it did not work but I think my tie wraps are to old and brittle.

Dan
Title: Re: Missing a Hub Cap on your kettle I have a quick fix?
Post by: pbe gummi bear on May 20, 2014, 01:45:26 PM
Quote from: Cuda Dan on May 20, 2014, 01:05:53 PM
Thanks you for the thank you's: dazzo, landgraftj.
Gummi I tried a tie wrap but it did not work but I think my tie wraps are to old and brittle.

Dan

Hi Dan, Yeah the one I used I really had to crank down on with pliers to get it to stay. But it held up for over a year so I was happy.  :)
Title: Re: Missing a Hub Cap on your kettle I have a quick fix?
Post by: Peaspurple on May 20, 2014, 02:19:38 PM
Great idea. And it looks pretty good to boot.
Title: Re: Missing a Hub Cap on your kettle I have a quick fix?
Post by: Yuminator on May 20, 2014, 03:48:40 PM
Nice idea.  The embedded fabric mesh ends up looking a little like raised letters on tires. 
Title: Re: Missing a Hub Cap on your kettle I have a quick fix?
Post by: argentflame on May 20, 2014, 03:51:35 PM
Excellent idea. I need to do this in my new to me yellow.
Title: Re: Missing a Hub Cap on your kettle I have a quick fix?
Post by: Craig on May 20, 2014, 07:24:22 PM
I like it!! Thanks for the tip!  :D
Title: Re: Missing a Hub Cap on your kettle I have a quick fix?
Post by: Heyjude on May 20, 2014, 08:37:35 PM
Don't you guys carry emergency axle caps around in your pocket? What kind of Grillfellas are you?   8)
Title: Re: Missing a Hub Cap on your kettle I have a quick fix?
Post by: Jocool on May 20, 2014, 10:57:20 PM
Thanks for the tip. I have one on E-Prey at the moment that keeps dropping the cap.
Title: Re: Missing a Hub Cap on your kettle I have a quick fix?
Post by: OGlenn on May 21, 2014, 03:21:25 PM
Very ingenious CudaDan, I love ideas like this!