Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Table! Table? Table;  (Read 9107 times)

jaysackuvich

• Happy Cooker
Re: Table! Table? Table;
« Reply #15 on: March 21, 2014, 07:59:06 PM »

Timleo, these kinds of things:

Not sure which he may have used, but it's a MacGyver job, for sure !!!!
Little upsetting to be a part of such a great forum, just to be told that you "MacGyvered" something!  Wow!  Clips hold fine, even with a 14# brisket.  Did a 48 hour event here in KC! And the table never even got hot.  Winds were high too!  I wouldn't change a thing to be honest!  I don't know bout y'all but here in the Midwest you always have a water source close by.  To be honest, the next table will have tighter holes, when I ringed the coals for pizza, the table never got hot to touch! Don't ask why, cause I don't know lol!  No gasket or neoprene wrap needed!  Been through 40# coal each and does fine!  Three coats of poly, and two coats of glaze.  Even put lighter fluid it on it and lit it!  Lol all I'd did was put itself out! Must be the humidity! 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Using Tapatalk

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #16 on: March 21, 2014, 08:10:06 PM »

"Little upsetting to be a part of such a great forum, just to be told that you "MacGyvered" something!"

Oh, hey....not intended badly.....coming from my perspective, that's the highest of compliments and was intended as such !!!!

Ingenious construction = MacGyveriism

Glad it worked out so well......... ;D
"If you want it fancy there is BBQ spray paint at home depot for that. "
    Covered, damper-controlled cooking.....IF YOU PLEASE !!!
           "But the ever versatile kettle reigned supreme"    

Heyjude

• WKC Performer
« Reply #17 on: March 21, 2014, 08:14:05 PM »
I am pretty sure that being told that you "MacGyered it"  was meant as a compliment..

Now if he said that you "Jerry-Rigged it", that's an insult.

Disclaimer: No Jerry's were harmed with this insult.

Nice work on the table.. Really, it looks good..  8)
I don't care if you don't like my Avatar, its there for me..

SlickedBack

• WKC Brave
« Reply #18 on: March 22, 2014, 05:59:46 AM »
"To make an auotomatic weapon with laser sights out of a bic pen and a flashlight" - Mcgyvered!!!!!!!!

SlickedBack

• WKC Brave
« Reply #19 on: March 22, 2014, 06:01:42 AM »
To use a 2X4 as a jack stand...jerry rigged!!
I would like a detailed picture of how you did support the bowls. I have a similar table project about to commence.

MartyG

• WKC Performer
« Reply #20 on: March 22, 2014, 06:39:57 AM »
In a nutshell:

Jury-rigged = GOOD
Jerry-rigged = BAD

from WordOrigins.org :

Jerry-built, meaning to temporary or shoddy construction, dates to 1869. It may derive from the name of a builder who was notorious for poor construction. An 1884 source (unconfirmed) says that the phrase is in reference to a particular construction project on the Mersey River in Britain.

From Etymonline.com :

jerry-built
1869, Eng. dial. jerry "bad, defective," a pejorative use of the male nickname Jerry (a popular form of Jeremy), or from naut. slang jury "temporary," which came to be used of all sorts of makeshift and inferior objects (see jury (adj.)).

However, we should not confuse "jerry-built" with "jury rigged". While they sound similar, their meanings are DIFFERENT.

According to WordOrigins.org:

Jury rig, while similar sounding, has a slightly different meaning, emphasizing the temporary nature of the solution and can imply an ingenious solution done with materials at hand. Jerry-built, on the other hand, is often used for a permanent, but poorly built, construction and has no positive connotation.

The origin of jury rig is nautical and dates to 1788. It is from the nautical term jury mast. This term dates to at least 1616 and refers to a temporary mast erected to hold sail when the normal mast has been lost due to storm or battle. It is commonly thought that this sense of the word is a clipped form of injury mast, but no evidence of this longer term has been found.

SlickedBack

• WKC Brave
« Reply #21 on: March 22, 2014, 06:45:02 AM »
I still wouldn't use a 2x4 for a jack stand.

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #22 on: March 22, 2014, 06:49:05 AM »
In a nutshell:

Jury-rigged = GOOD
Jerry-rigged = BAD

from WordOrigins.org :

Jerry-built, meaning to temporary or shoddy construction, dates to 1869. It may derive from the name of a builder who was notorious for poor construction. An 1884 source (unconfirmed) says that the phrase is in reference to a particular construction project on the Mersey River in Britain.

From Etymonline.com :

jerry-built
1869, Eng. dial. jerry "bad, defective," a pejorative use of the male nickname Jerry (a popular form of Jeremy), or from naut. slang jury "temporary," which came to be used of all sorts of makeshift and inferior objects (see jury (adj.)).

However, we should not confuse "jerry-built" with "jury rigged". While they sound similar, their meanings are DIFFERENT.

According to WordOrigins.org:

Jury rig, while similar sounding, has a slightly different meaning, emphasizing the temporary nature of the solution and can imply an ingenious solution done with materials at hand. Jerry-built, on the other hand, is often used for a permanent, but poorly built, construction and has no positive connotation.

The origin of jury rig is nautical and dates to 1788. It is from the nautical term jury mast. This term dates to at least 1616 and refers to a temporary mast erected to hold sail when the normal mast has been lost due to storm or battle. It is commonly thought that this sense of the word is a clipped form of injury mast, but no evidence of this longer term has been found.

OK.....but what about MacGyver?

I certainly did not say that to hurt anyone......I  really do think Angus MacGyver was one of the craftiest problem solvers ever & I thought Jay's construction matched that............

MartyG

• WKC Performer
« Reply #23 on: March 22, 2014, 07:14:30 AM »
MacGyver

v. 1. To use ingenuity to fix or remedy a problem using only the tools available at hand. 2. To jury-rig

n. Someone who can regularly cobble together solutions to problems using only the tools available at hand.
Your CD playa broke, huh? Gimme that string, a pencil, and a sock, and I'm a MacGyver it.

Man, I be a regular MacGyver when it comes to making bongs

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #24 on: March 22, 2014, 07:35:27 AM »
  Then also, I would add:

To gather items seemingly unrelated to the task at hand, and provide a better than expected solution
« Last Edit: March 22, 2014, 07:39:23 AM by 1buckie »

MartyG

• WKC Performer
« Reply #25 on: March 22, 2014, 07:40:56 AM »
You just described George Stephen and his first kettle grill perfectly!

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #26 on: March 22, 2014, 08:11:15 AM »

Dang !!!

Caught on !!!

It was supposed to be subliminal............... 8)