Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Puffed Apple Pancake  (Read 1189 times)

One Touch Platinum

• WKC Brave
Puffed Apple Pancake
« on: March 02, 2014, 02:27:21 PM »
Inspired by a recipe I saw on the Cooking Channel website.

If it needs to be Heated to be Eated, I can do it on my Weber!

jcnaz

• WKC Performer
Re: Puffed Apple Pancake
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2014, 04:54:44 PM »
MMMmmm...
A bunch of black kettles
-JC

Duke

• The Duke
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2014, 06:25:16 AM »
Now that's interesting! Any plated shots?

One Touch Platinum

• WKC Brave
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2014, 06:55:31 AM »
Nope, sorry. It looked kind of like a pineapple upsidedown cake when I flipped it out on to a pan. The long and short of it is this....this is pretty much the same thing as the German pancake/ Dutch pancake that I posted here a while back....the only difference is that it has carmelized apples in it. It was good, in fact it was very good but we all liked the German pancake better and it was a whole lot of extra work...even though it was fun...and sometimes extras do not make things better. There are a few things to watch out for when you bake in/on cast iron. 1) It can leave an iron taste in the food if you leave it in/on the pan/skillet after it comes off the fire. 2)It WILL still bake the bottom of your cake or what have you if you leave it on said pan/skillet....and will burn the bottom. so beware! As for the first issue of the taste....I just remove whatever I cooked from the pan as soon as I bring it inside. I cook alot of things like chili and stuff that has tomato in it...that means lots of acid and that is something that can eat away at the seasoning of cast iron but I bought the cast iron to cook on so I use it for anything , I just know that it takes some extra work to avoid any issues. As for the second issue....I always remove stuff that I bake from the cast iron just as soon as it comes off the fire. Crust will burn if you leave it on after you take it off the grill if you are not careful. When I make pizza I will pull it off as soon as the underside of the crust is just shy of the brown color I want so that by the time I take it inside and transfer it to another surface it will brown some more but not burn. I love cast iron but just like grilling, it takes a little work to make it work. My Wife and I were talking the other day about all the Webers you see on Craigs list for cheap or free....I told her the main reason they are hardly used or have been sitting in someone's shed or garage for a decade with no use is that most people don't know how to use them. Most people think that you put a whole bag of charcoal in the Weber with a gallon of lighter fluid and have to cook over huge flames at max heat and that only some super human grilling skill that only a few have mastered allows for food that is cooked and not burn beyond char.  They get frustrated and give up and stick to going out for steak at steak houses that cost an arm and a leg instead of learning their grill. Sorry for the rant.
If it needs to be Heated to be Eated, I can do it on my Weber!

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2014, 07:12:27 AM »

"....I told her the main reason they are hardly used or have been sitting in someone's shed or garage for a decade with no use is that most people don't know how to use them. Most people think that you put a whole bag of charcoal in the Weber with a gallon of lighter fluid and have to cook over huge flames at max heat and that only some super human grilling skill that only a few have mastered allows for food that is cooked and not burn beyond char.  They get frustrated and give up and stick to going out for steak at steak houses that cost an arm and a leg instead of learning their grill. Sorry for the rant. "

....not a rant at all.......appreciate the insight on C.I.!!!!

I've never created heat blowouts at the weld points on a kettle bowl....all the kettles that have them came like that.......

Was telling some WKCer's the other day: " Hi-heat for me is 350 !!!!

I get nervous about people using the nice kettles for pizza & steak searing @ higher heats...... :o
"If you want it fancy there is BBQ spray paint at home depot for that. "
    Covered, damper-controlled cooking.....IF YOU PLEASE !!!
           "But the ever versatile kettle reigned supreme"