Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Prepping the Christmas dinner main course.  (Read 3547 times)

Weber MD

• WKC Ranger
Prepping the Christmas dinner main course.
« on: December 24, 2013, 08:34:44 AM »
Sorry about the blurry pics - combination of bad lighting and hurrying pics while trimming beef.

Picked up an untrimmed beef tenderloin from Wegmans:

Taking off the chain:

Unchained and trimmed of some of the fat:

Trimming the silver skin:

Trimmed but not tied:

Finished product:

This:

Will go on this sometime on Thursday:

Merry Christmas all!

Jeff

• WKC Performer
Re: Prepping the Christmas dinner main course.
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2013, 08:40:54 AM »
Looks like its gonna be a great dinner!  We're making the same thing for Xmas day.
Kettle collector AND cooker!

Weber MD

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2013, 08:48:11 AM »
Looks like its gonna be a great dinner!  We're making the same thing for Xmas day.

Jeff,

I've made beef tenderloin in the oven before but this will be my first time on the grill.  Any advice you'd like to share?  A couple years ago I marinaded the beef in some kind of teriyaki marinade and did not like it at all.  Now I stick with salt, pepper, garlic powder and onion powder.

Jeff

• WKC Performer
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2013, 08:52:27 AM »
Well...first of all, this is the first time I'm making this particular cut.  I've made a pork tenderloin before, but never beef. 
And unfortunately, the weather looks like it might keep me inside and putting the oven into duty.  Its been so cold in Chitown lately that the grills have been dormant for a while.   
I was thinking about using some sort of marinade on it, but not a teriyaki flavored one.  Salt and pepper of course, some fresh garlic pressed inside and minced on top probably as well.  So sorry that I can't give much advice on this one...perhaps somebody will chime in if they've made this one before!

gunner

• WKC Brave
« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2013, 11:05:45 AM »

Jeff,

I've made beef tenderloin in the oven before but this will be my first time on the grill.  Any advice you'd like to share?  A couple years ago I marinaded the beef in some kind of teriyaki marinade and did not like it at all.  Now I stick with salt, pepper, garlic powder and onion powder.

You really just need to sear it on both sides direct and then move it off to the side indirect until the internal temp you want, then pull it and let it rest. Looks awesome, nice trim job on it and good luck on the cook!

Weber MD

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2013, 01:39:50 PM »

Jeff,

You really just need to sear it on both sides direct and then move it off to the side indirect until the internal temp you want, then pull it and let it rest. Looks awesome, nice trim job on it and good luck on the cook!

Much appreciated, Gunner, Merry Christmas!

HankB

• WKC Performer
« Reply #6 on: December 25, 2013, 05:56:00 AM »
That looks good. How did it come out?

A couple years ago a local grocery had whole beef tenderloins for $4.99/lb  :o I cut them into medallions and seared them in a cast iron pan with some salt & pepper. They were great! I froze one and it came out a little tough. I don't know if it was the result of freezing or if it was just a tougher cut. Knowing what I know now, I would dry age it.
kettles, smokers...

Weber MD

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #7 on: December 26, 2013, 03:26:34 AM »
Hank,

Here are some pics.

Beverage of choice on a fine Christmas day:

Took advantage of the sear station on the Genesis to sear the roast:

Put the roast over coals to cook the rest of the way:

Plated to rest:

Veg on:

The carving:

Finished veg:

No plated pics as the family and I were starving at this point.  We also made some twice baked potatoes in the oven.  Everything turned out great.

Jeff

• WKC Performer
« Reply #8 on: December 26, 2013, 04:02:45 AM »
Looks like it turned out well MD!!

Well...I made mine as well.  This is the first time I cooked this cut of meat.   I have to say, its one of the best cuts of beef that I've ever had.  Unfortunately I didn't put it on the kettle and get the nice sear you did, but it was still amazing.   I had a little assistance from Myron Mixon as well.  I have his book "Smokin" and he had a little marinade recipe to go along with this tenderloin.  His recipe was as follows.

For a 2.75-3.0 lb. roast

4 cups of beef broth
.5 cups distilled white vinegar
1 cup (packed) dark brown sugar
1 - 12oz can of Coke

Mix this ingredients together in a large roasting pan, place beef tenderloin in, cover, and refrigerate overnight.   I only was able to have mine in for about 6 hours, but it seemed to do the trick.  (I've never tasted this cut, so I have nothing to compare it with or without a marinade).  I seasoned it up with some salt and pepper prior to putting it in the oven at 325 for about 55 minutes (I had a 2lb roast). 
Everybody loved the meat, sorry no plated pics!!
« Last Edit: December 26, 2013, 04:04:17 AM by Jeff »

MartyG

• WKC Performer
« Reply #9 on: December 26, 2013, 04:13:22 AM »
Well, I can't compete with this threadsworth of goodness, but I did throw a bird on the kettle yesterday to go along with a few things I did inside - steamed shrimp, crab balls, and apple pie. Two grandkids made the dinner event hectic but fun.

Weber MD

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #10 on: December 26, 2013, 05:09:33 AM »
Looks like it turned out well MD!!

Well...I made mine as well.  This is the first time I cooked this cut of meat.   I have to say, its one of the best cuts of beef that I've ever had.  Unfortunately I didn't put it on the kettle and get the nice sear you did, but it was still amazing.   I had a little assistance from Myron Mixon as well.  I have his book "Smokin" and he had a little marinade recipe to go along with this tenderloin.  His recipe was as follows.

For a 2.75-3.0 lb. roast

4 cups of beef broth
.5 cups distilled white vinegar
1 cup (packed) dark brown sugar
1 - 12oz can of Coke

Mix this ingredients together in a large roasting pan, place beef tenderloin in, cover, and refrigerate overnight.   I only was able to have mine in for about 6 hours, but it seemed to do the trick.  (I've never tasted this cut, so I have nothing to compare it with or without a marinade).  I seasoned it up with some salt and pepper prior to putting it in the oven at 325 for about 55 minutes (I had a 2lb roast). 
Everybody loved the meat, sorry no plated pics!!

Thanks Jeff, I was happy with how it turned out.  I'm glad yours turned out well too - I'll have to try that marinade.

Weber MD

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #11 on: December 26, 2013, 05:10:21 AM »
Well, I can't compete with this threadsworth of goodness, but I did throw a bird on the kettle yesterday to go along with a few things I did inside - steamed shrimp, crab balls, and apple pie. Two grandkids made the dinner event hectic but fun.

The bird looks really good.

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #12 on: December 26, 2013, 10:36:01 AM »

Jeff,

" Now I stick with salt, pepper, garlic powder and onion powder."

The 'Holy Quadrinity' for beef.......esp. beef of this nature.............

I've found that heavy marinades / flavors / injections just kinda will wreck the delicate flavor of this beef.........something to add gently to  the original taste works great.............the 'Myron Mixon Mix'  seems like it would be good, without being too over the top !!!!!

I've also found pre-rubbed ones of these in the grocery 'near the date' section........they don't sell all that good @ full regular price, but are a decent deal at the reduced $.......added bonus is that the rub has had extra time to sort of wet age into the meat & they come out really tender....... 8)

Perfect cookup M.D.
That tenderloin is just cooked thru without being either raw at the center or overdone !!!!
Good Job !!!!!

PS: Great looking bird, Marty !!!!

What's the scheme on crab balls.......?
"If you want it fancy there is BBQ spray paint at home depot for that. "
    Covered, damper-controlled cooking.....IF YOU PLEASE !!!
           "But the ever versatile kettle reigned supreme"    

Weber MD

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #13 on: December 26, 2013, 11:19:11 AM »

Jeff,

" Now I stick with salt, pepper, garlic powder and onion powder."

The 'Holy Quadrinity' for beef.......esp. beef of this nature.............

I've found that heavy marinades / flavors / injections just kinda will wreck the delicate flavor of this beef.........something to add gently to  the original taste works great.............the 'Myron Mixon Mix'  seems like it would be good, without being too over the top !!!!!

I've also found pre-rubbed ones of these in the grocery 'near the date' section........they don't sell all that good @ full regular price, but are a decent deal at the reduced $.......added bonus is that the rub has had extra time to sort of wet age into the meat & they come out really tender....... 8)

Perfect cookup M.D.
That tenderloin is just cooked thru without being either raw at the center or overdone !!!!
Good Job !!!!!

PS: Great looking bird, Marty !!!!

What's the scheme on crab balls.......?

Thanks Buckie.  I had tenderloin and horseradish sauce for breakfast - that's a great start to a day!

HankB

• WKC Performer
« Reply #14 on: December 28, 2013, 12:11:15 PM »
Sorry I'm so late to get back to the party. I feel like I've been missing all that great food!

Except I haven't been missing anything!

Our standing rib roast came out great!

We kept it simple 'cause it was delivered meals-on-wheels style. I mashed the last butternut squash from the garden (that had not already been frozen) and my son made green beans. I grated up some horseradish and made some creamy horseradish sauce. And just about everyone made cookies so we had a lot of cookies for dessert! D-I-L who is now a week overdue with our next grandchild felt good so we got to stick around
kettles, smokers...