Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Holiday ham on the kettle  (Read 2600 times)

Vwbuggin64

• WKC Ranger
Holiday ham on the kettle
« on: December 26, 2013, 07:37:22 PM »
I am sure this has been covered, but has anyone cooked a ham on the kettle? I was going to go with a brown sugar honey glaze the last 30 min, and was going to use kingsford match light with possibly some wood sprinkled on for flavor. Anyone prefer one wood over the other? I have the charcoal grates that keep them on the sides so I'm not worried about direct heat, but just wondering if anyone has any tops and tricks. Thanks.
Rollin coal

22" 81 B (Faded Black), 22" 86 H (Black),91 N SJ (black), 18" 65 (Red), 12 AU Tostito SJ , 22" CU (Copper), 22” (Brown)Happy Cooker, Q2000 Charcoal, Weber Spirit, 22in Yellow, 18"WSM, Happy cooker SJ

G

• WKC Ranger
Re: Holiday ham on the kettle
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2013, 08:37:24 PM »
I cooked whole ham on the Ranch for Christmas Eve.  I placed the ham in a foil tray, covered it with foil until it was around 130 internal temp, then removed the foil and added some applewood for smoke.  About 20 minutes before I pulled it, I gave it a brown sugar rub.  Turned out tender, juicy, and delicious with a nice sugary crust.  It took a lot longer to get to temperature than expected though.  Your plan sounds good.....good luck!! 

OoPEZoO

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2013, 06:26:46 AM »
I did my first ham on the grill for Christmas Day. It was a 13lb bone in Smithfield Ham I picked up from BJ's. I covered it with a light dusting of the same basic rub I use when cooking pork butts.  Then staked a bunch of pineapple rings to it and suspended it using my roast/rib holder over a foil roasting pan with apple juice in it.  I cooked it indirect on my 26er with piles of charcoal on both sides and a two fist size chunks of apple wood.  I kept the grate temps between 290 and 340 for the entire cook.  Per the instructions on the ham, I brought the internal temp up to 148. It took a good 5 hours.  I think I recall reading to plan for 18min per pound. Anyway, I glazed it every 45min with a whiskey/apricot glaze I cooked up ahead of time. It turned out phenomenal. The whole family was very impressed (including the mother-in law.

In my opinion, I would ditch the match light charcoal. I would never let that stuff touch any of my grills.

I got the recipe from BBQpitboys.com
Here was the glaze I used
3 diced jalapeños
1/4 cup whiskey (I used gentleman jack)
10oz jar of apricot marmalade (I used preserves)
1/4 cup molasses
3tbls soy sauce
2tbls brown sure

Bring it to a simmer for about 10 min and glaze the ham every 45min-1hour.  Here is the ham going on

And here it is about two hours in.  Sorry, no finished pics.......it was good enough that my picky brother in-law called last light to see if there were still enough leftovers for him to reload
-Keith

Vwbuggin64

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2013, 09:10:48 AM »
Decided to go with some applewood chips, some Stubbs charcoal and some beer glaze. I'll let you know it turns out. Should take about 3-4 hours on the kettle. This is my 1st time as a newbie kettleman so this should be interesting.
Rollin coal

22" 81 B (Faded Black), 22" 86 H (Black),91 N SJ (black), 18" 65 (Red), 12 AU Tostito SJ , 22" CU (Copper), 22” (Brown)Happy Cooker, Q2000 Charcoal, Weber Spirit, 22in Yellow, 18"WSM, Happy cooker SJ

Vwbuggin64

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2013, 10:44:59 AM »

Almost done if it's good I'll post the recipe I made up for everyone.
Rollin coal

jcnaz

• WKC Performer
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2013, 11:56:12 AM »
It looks very good, let us know if you like it!
A bunch of black kettles
-JC

Vwbuggin64

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2013, 05:15:53 PM »
Wow! I love my kettle! It came out a little too smokey, but that's because this is the first time I smoked something on a grill. Next time I'll soak the wood chips in water overnight beforehand. Man though, you can't beat the flavor. I used the following as a rub:
1c brown sugar
2tbsp fat tire Belgium ale
2tbsp vinegar
1tbsp boars head mustard
1tbsp spicy brown mustard

Combine mustard with brown sugar, mix well. Then add beer and vinegar. Blend well. For the ham, I put it in a foil cake pan and scored the outside. I then poured the remaining bottle of beer over the top and put it on the kettle for 2 1/2 hours, 1st hour cook with just the beer. Afterwards, baste every 1/2 hour. Comes out tender and juicy. My wife loves it, and she's not a pork person (except bacon of course). Thanks everyone for all the help and I can't wait to cook on the kettle again! 
Rollin coal

OoPEZoO

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2013, 06:44:05 PM »
It's easy to overdo the smoke flavor at first. I always attempt to error on the side of under smoked, but that is because of a few of my early cooks that had been too smokey (kettle and smoker).  Even if you are expecting it, the casual guest or significant other can really be put off by too much smoke. Once that happens, you are fighting an uphill battle for people trying new things.  I now tend to go light on the smoke and let the charcoal do its thing........it almost always turns out great
-Keith