Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Vents  (Read 2592 times)

cartandpeg

• Smokey Joe
Vents
« on: December 08, 2013, 04:27:33 PM »
Hi All,
        Some what of a newbie to the Weber Kettle and everyone  here is keen to get into some cooking.I had a weber many many years ago which had the three vents on the bottom and one on the top.I never really did much cooking on it as I had no real interest in it.Yet with the new one touch I can not wait to get into it.My question,Do I operate the bottom vents and the top much like the old Kettle I had,I realise  I need the bottom all the way open with the lid off when starting my beads,but, when the lid is on can I adjust the bottom and top vents accordingly.
I am doing some searching to see if I can find what answer I need, but thought I would post here to enable me to get on the right track.
Thank you for your time.
Andy
« Last Edit: December 08, 2013, 04:29:50 PM by cartandpeg »

mrbill

• WKC Ranger
Re: Vents
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2013, 04:43:08 PM »
yes, use the sweeps like the 3wheel vents and the top is still the same.
Seeking New York Giants MT For A Price That Won't Break My Bank

Troy

• Statesman
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2013, 04:49:04 PM »
i find its much easier to regulate and plan temps with the amount of charcoal you use and light.
but you'll learn as you go :)

just remember to keep the top vent at least halfway open, if not all the way.
flames are bad. always. keep the lid closed.

wyd

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2013, 04:52:15 PM »
Hi Andy.  Welcome to WKC.  I'm far from an expert but what I did on my platinum is to mark full open on the bottom vent and then moved to 1/2 open and marked that spot..  I get my charcoal all lit and ready in my chimney and then Add to my charcoal bins.  Normally I start my lower vent at 1/2 and my top lid vent right around 1/2.  This normally gets me around 300 to 325 degrees which is what most of my cooks start at.  Once it goes for 15 minutes it really settles in for me and I just mess with the top vent mainly.  Once I get about 1 hour plus or when my temps start to fall I then open the bottom to full open.

Normally I can get 2 to 2 1/2 hours before I need to add charcoal but it will vary between brands of charcoal.  I normally use Kingsford and my favorite Humphreys briquettes.  I also use Wicked Good Lump charcoal.

Hope it helps you out some.
Platinum Performer Kettle (In Blue), OTG (In Blue)
Genesis Gasser (In Blue), Smokey Joe (Uline Lime)
Looking to buy (18.5 blue or brownie and blue lantern)

cartandpeg

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2013, 07:04:09 PM »
Thank you all for the replies and the welcome.Very informative info.I am going to use Heat Beads BBQ Briquettes,that seems to be the norm which is on the shelves here.Good idea about marking vent position.A book titled "The Complete Australian BBQ Kettle Cookbook" was supplied with the Kettle,so plenty of recipes to start me along.Many thanks again.