Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Hasty Break In  (Read 2446 times)

Duke

• The Duke
Hasty Break In
« on: November 26, 2013, 06:06:27 AM »
Okay, well I did a small cook to start with and get a feel for the new Hasty Bake. It was really easy to cook on. I made some chicken breasts with spinach and Havarti cheese rubbed with a mix of Bells and seasoned salt. If you haven't tried Bells it's really great if you want an herby dish. You may notice I covered the charcoal grate with expanded to save a little more charcoal. I really like it so far, but need to work on getting it to shut down tightly.

wyd

• WKC Ranger
Re: Hasty Break In
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2013, 07:49:09 AM »
Very nice.  It is hard to look at all these food pron pics as it just makes my mouth water and I don't get any work done at my real  job.
Platinum Performer Kettle (In Blue), OTG (In Blue)
Genesis Gasser (In Blue), Smokey Joe (Uline Lime)
Looking to buy (18.5 blue or brownie and blue lantern)

LightningBoldtz

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2013, 08:39:30 AM »
Duke,  what is the deal with the hasty bake, I have seen list prices on those and have to wonder why.......
I am not a collector, but I do have a small collection.
"You can have everything in life you want if you will just help enough other people get what they want"

Eastex

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2013, 09:35:42 AM »
Glad you got it Duke. By shutting it down if you're talking about snuffing out the left over charcoal let me know if you can. I tried to my self but never had much luck so I just try to judge close as I can how much I'll need for a cook. That's where the adjustable grate comes in handy , if I see I don't have enough I just roll it up a little higher.
    As for the cost of new ones, they do seem high but they're not like those Master Forge units that you see at places like Lowes. You can mash the sides of those in because they're made with such thin metal. I believe the Hasty Bakes use the same gauge steel that Weber does. It's not porcelain coated but there is a good bit more of it and it has to be made to a little higher tolerances where the lid and fire door fit. Then you figure in the stainless shelf in front, the charcoal grate lift mechanism, old style metal wheels and other such and I could see it running more than a new Performer. Still can't justify how much more it is but I guess that's what the market can handle.

pbe gummi bear

• WKC Mod
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2013, 09:50:17 AM »
Duke,  what is the deal with the hasty bake, I have seen list prices on those and have to wonder why.......

Hand made in the USA, huge footprint, lots of parts. I agree it's really pricey but they are nicer than most of the Home Depot specials.

This is a great video on their history. Those cast iron mounted ones are beautiful. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7C-O78AMMVM
« Last Edit: November 26, 2013, 10:10:37 AM by pbe gummi bear »
"Have you hugged your Weber today?"
Check out WKC on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Weber-Kettle-Club/521728011229791

Duke

• The Duke
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2013, 11:02:20 AM »
Thanks for the great responses everyone. Eastex, I noticed that I had a lot of coal leftover this morning, so it did shutdown but it was very slow about it. I think when it get's gunkier it will get better. One of the side vents doesn't close flat either, so I will need to work on that, but all in all I'm very pleased.

pbe gummi bear

• WKC Mod
« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2013, 11:33:05 AM »
Duke, I know you like to mod so here's an idea. I noticed that those vents seem kinda flimsy. You can use a magnet to seal them off and get even finer air control. It will only cost a few bucks and no permanent mods needed.
"Have you hugged your Weber today?"
Check out WKC on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Weber-Kettle-Club/521728011229791

Eastex

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2013, 11:43:00 AM »
I've had that same thought. I started to take some business card magnets off of our refrigerator but I was caught and told those were needed to hold pictures,cheer schedules and "what not" on the fridge.

Eastex

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2013, 11:44:54 AM »
Another cheap fix is using "mini loaf" disposable aluminum pans from the grocery store to catch the grease on instead of buying their expensive replacements.

Duke

• The Duke
« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2013, 12:29:18 PM »
That's an great idea Lawrence! I'm going to try it on my next cook. The flaps are actually just as thick as the body, but just not the greatest design.  They close good on everything except one side, so I am going to use a magnet on that side. Eastex, yes I did buy some mini loaf pans at the supermarket. I'm surprised that that system for the grease actually works. I am looking for a permanent metal loaf pan that fits well and will just line it with foil.

Eastex

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #10 on: November 26, 2013, 02:19:06 PM »
My Hasty Bake is the smaller Suburban model but I found a aluminum sheet pan that fits in the slots where the ash pan goes. I like the sheet pan because it won't rust and doesn't need to be lined with aluminum foil like the regular ones does

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Craig

• WKC Mod
« Reply #11 on: November 26, 2013, 04:02:31 PM »
Looks really roomy and the food looks great! I must admit it's strange not seeing a kettle in that corner by the door.  :D

Duke

• The Duke
« Reply #12 on: November 26, 2013, 04:29:44 PM »
Looks really roomy and the food looks great! I must admit it's strange not seeing a kettle in that corner by the door.  :D

Craig! What happened to you cool Thanksgiving theme? You have already moved onto Blue Christmas. Don't worry I still have plenny o' kettles in the stable. ;)

Craig

• WKC Mod
« Reply #13 on: November 26, 2013, 04:51:14 PM »

Craig! What happened to you cool Thanksgiving theme? You have already moved onto Blue Christmas. Don't worry I still have plenny o' kettles in the stable. ;)

I got restless...  ;)