Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Rolled Pork  (Read 4040 times)

Hottuna

• Smokey Joe
    • Amazon Outdoors
Rolled Pork
« on: October 27, 2013, 09:46:24 PM »
Hi
This was my first pork roast in the weber. Unfortunatly i didnt have a temp probe, and it turned out overdone. Still very nice and the crackling was devine

HankB

• WKC Performer
Re: Rolled Pork
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2013, 06:36:16 AM »
I've never seen anything like that - at least that I recognize. Pictures of the prep would be interesting as would a description of the rub and whatever it is stuffed with.

I use one of these when I don't want to break out the remote reading thermometer. It would probably help you to get those off the cooker before it gets dry. Lean pork is very sensitive to overcooking.

kettles, smokers...

Hottuna

• Smokey Joe
    • Amazon Outdoors
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2013, 04:27:37 PM »
I've never seen anything like that - at least that I recognize. Pictures of the prep would be interesting as would a description of the rub and whatever it is stuffed with.

I use one of these when I don't want to break out the remote reading thermometer. It would probably help you to get those off the cooker before it gets dry. Lean pork is very sensitive to overcooking.

Hank - I had my butcher prep and roll it for me - he`s a youngster and enters a lot of butcher competitions so loves build stuff up for me. Im not that good yet

Inside is sprinkled with chopped rosemary, dry chilli,  garlic, salt n pepper, and a bit of white wine vinegar. It was very lean with almost no fat.

The skin was rubbed in my rosemary garlic grind.
To make this - I grind fresh rosemary with a bit of salt in a pestle and mortar, once the salt is nice and green and there's not large pieces of rosemary, I add a couple of pealed garlic cloves and grind that in there..it turn's out very fragrant and flavoursome. Ive used this for all my spit roast in the past. It produces a distinctly Italian flavour

I grilled it direct on all sides to get the crackle happening, then moved it off and left it for 2hours. It was very nice the next day in sandwiches

Yes I do have a probe like that only its not digital - but couldn't find it on the day. Oh well there's always next time
« Last Edit: October 28, 2013, 04:30:18 PM by Hottuna »

kendoll

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2013, 07:57:22 PM »
Man that crackling looks great!!!

Sounds like you have yourself a great butcher too!

Ken
Willing to trade first born for: *Ranger (any colour) *Westerner (yeah right)

*Imperial (Glen-Blue) *Brown GA

louievandeoorst

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2013, 11:08:35 PM »
Hi Dan,
That looks great mate, from which butcher you get that pork?
I`m pretty close to Edensor park too.
Louie

Hottuna

• Smokey Joe
    • Amazon Outdoors
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2013, 02:29:04 AM »
I sure do Ken he is a good kid too
Hi louie where abouts you from? I got it from Papandrea butchers at wetherill park the shop next door to penrith seafoods. The owners son sorry mate forgot his name is a gun little butcher , he can make the porchetta as long (within reason) or short as you like

I usually get them boneless and roast em in the spit. I have to say the ones cooked in the weber taste better.

HankB

• WKC Performer
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2013, 10:26:27 AM »
Hank - I had my butcher prep and roll it for me - he`s a youngster and enters a lot of butcher competitions so loves build stuff up for me.
You have an awesome butcher! Let him know he's a hero on the WKC.

Thanks for the pictures of the process. Good work!
kettles, smokers...

louievandeoorst

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2013, 01:57:51 PM »
Hi Dan,
I`m from Fairfield area.Yes, I know Papandrea`s shop, obviously have to pop in more often.There is few pretty good shops around in that shopping complex.

Louie

Hottuna

• Smokey Joe
    • Amazon Outdoors
« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2013, 05:30:39 PM »
Hank - I had my butcher prep and roll it for me - he`s a youngster and enters a lot of butcher competitions so loves build stuff up for me.
You have an awesome butcher! Let him know he's a hero on the WKC.

Thanks for the pictures of the process. Good work!

I sure will Hank - he will be very happy

There are some great shops in that complex. Louie - drop in here one day if your in the area, would be good to meet you.

This weekend (Nov 2nd and 3rd) Weber are sending over one of their bbq experts, he will be cooking sirloins up on Saturday and Sunday on the Q320.

Also Nov 16th 2013 Weber are holding a Demo day here at Amazon Outdoors with their best team, making everything from pizza to roasts. This should be an awesome day.

mike.stavlund

• WKC Performer
    • MikeStavlund.com
« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2013, 05:34:58 PM »
That butcher is my hero.
One of the charcoal people.