Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Roasted Potato German Potato Salad  (Read 1322 times)

HankB

• WKC Performer
Roasted Potato German Potato Salad
« on: October 27, 2013, 06:21:26 PM »
I was grilling brats (bratwurst) for dinner today and decided that since we had a lot of potatoes, I would make German potato salad to go with the brats. When I grill, I try to take advantage of having the grill fired up so I chose to grill the potatoes and onions for the potato salad. For that matter, I also cooked the few slices of bacon that the recipe called for on the grill.

I went with the first recipe I found and made a double batch (though I was light on bacon.) I scrubbed the spuds and sliced them between 1/2" and 3/4" thick. Before going on the grill, I brushed them with canola oil and sprinkled with a little salt. (The pepper would be in the dressing.) I also did a couple medium onions on the grill, slicing them about 1/2" thick.

Here are the last few potato slices grilling while I get the brats started. The CI grate was pretty much covered with potato slices when they were all on. The brats had been boiled in (cheap) beer and onions before grilling.

(After grilling, the brats went back into the beer/onion mix for holding until they were served.)

To assemble the salad I cut up the potato slices into approximate 1" chunks and cut the onions into smaller pieces. The remaining ingredients (except for the parsley) were mixed in a Pyrex bowl which I warmed a minute in the micro-wave to facilitate dissolving the sugar. Then I put the still hot potatoes and onions in a bowl, added chopped bacon and parsley and poured the dressing over it. I tossed this together and repeated that several times to get the dressing spread over the potatoes.

It came out good! Roasting the potatoes adds an additional layer of flavor that I (and the rest of the family) enjoyed. The only thing I might do differently is to make more dressing. The potatoes come out a little drier due to the grilling and really soak it up. I think that some chopped green onions would also be good in this.
kettles, smokers...