Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Beer Can Chicken  (Read 2513 times)

Eapples

• WKC Brave
Beer Can Chicken
« on: October 05, 2013, 04:56:04 AM »
OK, this should be an easy answer.  But, if it was that easy I wouldn't be asking, now would I?  I'm a bit thick, what's called in Italian "capa tosta" (dialect), and that's why I'm asking the question.  Anyway, I will be "officially" christening my kettle tomorrow if the weather holds up.  I'll be doing beer can chicken.  I have my recipe.  The question relates to the type of set-up for the coals.

Do I bank the coals off to one side, or do I split the coals on either side?  And do I use a water pan if I'm using one of those "beer can" gizmos to prop up the chicken on the grill?  I figure that I won't need the water pan because the gizmo will catch any drippings.

Thanks for the info. :D

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
Re: Beer Can Chicken
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2013, 05:57:01 AM »

This starts out to be about turkey, but has a MacEggs setup for chicken at the end.....

http://weberkettleclub.com/forums/grilling-bbqing/thawing-turkey-for-saturday-cook-help-please/

Drip pan would be OK, in case the gizmo won't hold everything that drips........

Just a personal prederence, but I like coals on both sides, seems to get a more even cookup that way.....upper grate or down in either way..........
"If you want it fancy there is BBQ spray paint at home depot for that. "
    Covered, damper-controlled cooking.....IF YOU PLEASE !!!
           "But the ever versatile kettle reigned supreme"    

MacEggs

• WKC Performer
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2013, 08:46:57 AM »
What Ken said ... ^^^^^^^^ ... works great. Done it this way a few times.
I haven't tried it on the upper (cooking) grate. Not sure if there is enough room.  ??? ???
Q: How do you know something is bull$h!t?
A: When you are not allowed to question it.

Eapples

• WKC Brave
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2013, 09:19:23 AM »
What Ken said ... ^^^^^^^^ ... works great. Done it this way a few times.
I haven't tried it on the upper (cooking) grate. Not sure if there is enough room.  ??? ???

Thank you for your response.  I have the Weber Poultry Roaster.  And the chicken is around 3 1/2 pounds.  I was able to use it on my Weber 1000 (gas grill), and the dome clearance on the kettle seems the same or higher than the lid clearance on the gas grill.  I think that it'll fit.

I know my recipe works on the gas grill.  Tomorrow we try it on the kettle.  Photos to follow.

Eapples

• WKC Brave
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2013, 09:20:20 AM »

This starts out to be about turkey, but has a MacEggs setup for chicken at the end.....

http://weberkettleclub.com/forums/grilling-bbqing/thawing-turkey-for-saturday-cook-help-please/

Drip pan would be OK, in case the gizmo won't hold everything that drips........

Just a personal prederence, but I like coals on both sides, seems to get a more even cookup that way.....upper grate or down in either way..........

Thanks.  See my response to MacEggs.

MacEggs

• WKC Performer
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2013, 09:53:34 AM »
I like these holders, and I prefer to use tall cans (16 oz). Probably why I need to put them on the charcoal grate.
I don't use beer in the cans, just water - not quite full. All the beer gets poured into a mug ... then promptly consumed.  :D ;)

MartyG

• WKC Performer
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2013, 09:59:05 AM »
Busch beer. Water. Same thing.  ;)

MacEggs

• WKC Performer
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2013, 10:12:55 AM »
Busch beer. Water. Same thing.  ;)

Thanks, Marty! I got a good laugh over that.  ;D ;D

I say the same thing about most massed produced ............. American beer.  ??? :o :o :P :P ;D ;D ;)

Johnpv

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2013, 05:51:52 PM »
I've done it with Murphy's Irish stout, and you can definitely taste the stout flavor in the meat.  I've also done it with water, and soda.  The soda definitely sweetens things up a bit.

Eapples

• WKC Brave
« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2013, 04:30:03 AM »
I like these holders, and I prefer to use tall cans (16 oz). Probably why I need to put them on the charcoal grate.
I don't use beer in the cans, just water - not quite full. All the beer gets poured into a mug ... then promptly consumed.  :D ;)

I used Sam Adams.  Your set-up is probably easier, i.e. no extra clean-up as with my Weber Poultry Roaster.  We're going to try a different beer next time.