Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Meatloaf tonight!  (Read 1848 times)

Thunder71

• WKC Brave
    • Civil Response Firearms Training
Meatloaf tonight!
« on: September 24, 2013, 09:48:57 AM »
I did a meatloaf spur of the moment a couple months back and it turned out great, unfortunately I just threw in what ingredients we had on hand and don't really recall what I did other than put it on the grill until the 732 read 170 or so.

That said, tonight is going to be meatloaf night, and since the family said it was the best meatloaf ever (even better than school meatloaf praised the kids) I'm being asked to once again grill it.

First time I did it on the kettle, I think I will repeat that unless the urge to use my new Genesis overwhelms me... either way I probably won't be able to resist the urge to try my home made 'smoker box', which is an emptied and cleaned olive can with holes punched in the lid.

Has anyone used a home made 'smoker box' like this? Other than soaking the chips for a good 30-60 minutes, what other tips can you give for a successful hint of smoke?

I'll be using cherry wood chips.

Thanks!

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
Re: Meatloaf tonight!
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2013, 01:16:13 PM »

Thunder, just put a meatloaf recipe here.....may give you some ideas ~~~>

http://weberkettleclub.com/forums/other-recipes/hickory-smoked-turkey-meatloaf/new/#new

I just throw a handful of dry chips on either side of the coals two, maybe three times.......ground meats will suck up a lot of smoke quick & I've had things get toward the bitter side if overdone w/ smoke......

Meatloaf / fatties I take to approx. 155~160 f internal & they always seem to keep moist.......
"If you want it fancy there is BBQ spray paint at home depot for that. "
    Covered, damper-controlled cooking.....IF YOU PLEASE !!!
           "But the ever versatile kettle reigned supreme"    

Thunder71

• WKC Brave
    • Civil Response Firearms Training
Re: Meatloaf tonight!
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2013, 02:33:57 PM »
Thanks man, got the loaves on now. Covered, so smoke should be minimal but evident.

Will have to try that recipe too.