Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Grilling chicken wings  (Read 3098 times)

spinsheet

• Smokey Joe
Grilling chicken wings
« on: September 13, 2013, 12:07:42 PM »
I want to dry rub some wings and grill them. I've cooked wings in the oven many times but never on the grill and am not sure about time or temp. In the oven I usually did about 400 degrees at about 45 mins. Would the grill be similar? I need to prepare a bunch for a sailboat race for tomorrow (5 guys) and am a bit nervous about doing this before ever doing it just for myself. If I blow this one I might end up getting thrown overboard!

Any thoughts?

Joethebartender

• Smokey Joe
Re: Grilling chicken wings
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2013, 12:28:14 PM »
I cook wings for a bunch of cafones at my Elks club. 

I usually pile up a hot fire across a quarter or third of the 22" on one side. Then I put all of the wings over the grill on the part of the grate that isn't directly over the coals.  You might have to stack a few to get them all to fit. 

Vents open all the way on the bottom and 3/4 open on top. 

Cover it and walk away for about 30 minutes.  Then you can move em around a bit to get the ones that are a little underdone closer to the fire.  (I sauce at this point... but if you just want the rub on 'em... no big deal)
Cover for another 10-15 then just move them directly over the coals for a minute for a few flips and out.

Not saying I'm wrong or right, but there are NEVER any leftover wings.

Hope this helps.

-Joe

G$

• WKC Performer
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2013, 12:28:52 PM »
You can definitely replicate what you do in the oven by using a hot but indirect fire. 

I typically cook my wings indirect, then move them over the fire for some direct cooking at the end to give them some char.  If you know what a done wing looks like,  you will have no problem doing them on the kettle.  Have fun!

Joethebartender

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2013, 12:34:58 PM »
Something like this except with wings instead of chicken legs and a pork loin...

Joethebartender

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2013, 12:37:18 PM »
I guess G$ and I went to the same culinary school.  B)