Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Pulled Pork attempt 2, now with Photos.  (Read 1798 times)

Johnpv

• WKC Ranger
Pulled Pork attempt 2, now with Photos.
« on: September 11, 2013, 06:20:50 AM »
So this weekend I made my second attempt at pulled pork.  I had a nice pork butt that I was going to use but Sunday morning when I got up to get it started, it was still a frozen block of ice, after 2 1/2 days of defrosting.  So at 7 am I ran to the grocery store and picked up what ever they had.  Which was a smaller but decent boneless pork butt that came pre-twinned to hold it's shape.  Running home I got it nice and dusted with my rub and probed.

Got it onto the Weber, which was nicely up to temp, and began the waiting process.  I smoked it 225 - 250, for about 9 1/2 hours.  Now normally I'd hold a solid temp, and wouldn't waver that much, and my little blue kettle is awesome at that.   This Sunday though, the weather decided it needed to have just a constant blow you over arctic wind.  It was so windy it kept blowing my Maverick transmitter over and I ended up having to take it's stand off it and surround it with much heavier objects.  It also caused me to go through way more charcaol than I normally would have.  I built my snake with a 10 hour burn in mind, but I had to add about 15 - 20 briquettes twice during the cook. 

After it smoked for about 9 1/2 hours, it hit 195 internal temp and the girlfriend was giving me the dinner better be ready soon or else.  So I took it off wrapped it for an hour and then had this.

I got to pulling it and end up with a good amount of pork.

For all the troubles I ran into during the cook, it turned out to be my best pulled pork yet.  The girlfriend and I have both taken it for lunch every day since we had it for dinner.  I'm really happy with the flavor, juiciness, and tenderness of it.   Here's to some delicious porky goodness.

Aawa

• WKC Brave
Re: Pulled Pork attempt 2, now with Photos.
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2013, 09:30:48 AM »
Great looking pulled pork.  I want some!
* 2011 Touch and Go Performer * 2009 Touch and Go Performer * 2005 Touch and Go Performer * Sublime Smoke Ugly Drum Smoker * 2012 Mini WSM *

Chasing_smoke

• WKC Ranger
Pulled Pork attempt 2, now with Photos.
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2013, 10:13:54 AM »
Very nice! A cook like that makes the next one even easier. Looks great!

"my kettle is more powerful it will do almost anything."
MH Copper mist, Daisy Wheel P, Homer Simpson OTG, Blue 18, Blue Mastertouch, SJS, Genesis Sliver B, Red 18 Bar-b-q-kettle Pat Pending, Copper performer

Up In Smoke

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2013, 07:22:38 PM »
That looks good. I love making pulled pork. I am still trying to perfect it.

image by Now We're Cookin, on Flickr

Everything's better with charcoal !!!!

kendoll

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2013, 04:43:33 AM »
That looks pretty damn good to me. Pulled Pork really is one of my favorite things to do on the weber.

I'm pretty sure it is a scientific fact that any food tastes better cooked on a blue too. ;D

Ken
Willing to trade first born for: *Ranger (any colour) *Westerner (yeah right)

*Imperial (Glen-Blue) *Brown GA

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2013, 06:07:01 AM »

Looks pretty  dang good from over here.....hopefully, easier to do that you all might have thought !!!!!
 ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

"If you want it fancy there is BBQ spray paint at home depot for that. "
    Covered, damper-controlled cooking.....IF YOU PLEASE !!!
           "But the ever versatile kettle reigned supreme"    

HankB

• WKC Performer
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2013, 03:54:38 AM »
That looks good. I love making pulled pork. I am still trying to perfect it.
Why not start a thread in Grilling & BBQing where you can tell us what you're doing and what you want to improve with your results? I'm sure you'll get plenty of helpful suggestions.
kettles, smokers...

Johnpv

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2013, 06:49:33 AM »
Thanks everyone!  Pulled pork is quickly becoming the GF's and myself's favorite bit of bbq.  I should have taken pictures but we used the last bit of pulled pork last night to make a pulled pork pizza and it was GOOD!  Up In Smoke your pulled pork is looking mighty tasty there as well!