Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Bars on Weber chimney  (Read 3395 times)

mrbill

• WKC Ranger
Bars on Weber chimney
« on: September 07, 2013, 10:27:17 PM »
Please don't hurt me! Before going to gas some years ago, I didn't know about chimneys for charcoal cooking. When I got my WSM a couple months ago, I just grabbed a cheap chimney from my local grocery store because that's where I was getting my charcoal(didn't like it, now use the walmart brand of briquettes) and it was there and I hadn't looked at a Weber chimney to see any differences. Now that I've used it a bit and recently ditched the gasser and have my 18.5 Budlight OTS, I've noticed a few differences between the Weber and my off brand. But haven't purchased the Weber chimney yet. The most obvious is size(and yes, I know there are two sizes for the Weber), no explanation there. then there is the bottom design, the Weber is a an angled coil/concentric circles whereas mine is a flat piece of metal w/holes drilled(guessing the Weber would allow for better airflow and quicker heating..etc).

Now to my question. My current chimney has the barrel, a heat shield and a handle. I've noticed the Webers have a a pivoting arm. What is that for/do?
« Last Edit: September 07, 2013, 10:30:08 PM by mrbill »
Seeking New York Giants MT For A Price That Won't Break My Bank

Craig

• WKC Mod
Re: Bars on Weber chimney
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2013, 10:33:00 PM »
The pivoting arm is used to grip with one hand while pouring your coals in with the other hand. I love it! I recently found a good deal on the small Weber chimney too. Its great if you only need to fill one fuel basket. Hope my answer helps.  :)

mrbill

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2013, 10:39:12 PM »
The pivoting arm is used to grip with one hand while pouring your coals in with the other hand. I love it! I recently found a good deal on the small Weber chimney too. Its great if you only need to fill one fuel basket. Hope my answer helps.  :)

so, controlled distribution of hot coals? looks like i'm gonna be getting a Weber chimney soon, thank you sir, your reply sealed the deal for me ;)
Seeking New York Giants MT For A Price That Won't Break My Bank

Bman

• WKC Performer
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2013, 03:23:36 AM »
I've noticed the Webers have a a pivoting arm. What is that for/do?

For me - nothing other than get in the way.  I'm not Hercules by any means, but I think an average male can handle a Weber chimney full w/out needing the pivoting handle.  Even with that, the Weber chimney works really well and worth the 15 bucks.
I've always had gas...  And now a bunch of kettles because of this place.  Thanks!

Bosibus

• WKC Brave
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2013, 03:51:10 AM »

Amazon?  Was thinking about ordering one soon and that was the cheapest I saw.

edhead35

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2013, 05:22:39 AM »
You mentioned the size of the two chimneys that weber offers. The small puts out the perfect amount for smokey Joes. The large puts out your standard amount for the larger grills, but the small is also excellent for starting a small number of coals for WSMs and snakes on your kettles.

Mmmmm

• WKC Brave
Re: Re: Bars on Weber chimney
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2013, 06:23:05 AM »

How much on Amazon?
"What this world needs is more humble geniuses. There are so few of us left."

G$

• WKC Performer
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2013, 06:52:12 AM »
I've noticed the Webers have a a pivoting arm. What is that for/do?

For me - nothing other than get in the way.  I'm not Hercules by any means, but I think an average male can handle a Weber chimney full w/out needing the pivoting handle.  Even with that, the Weber chimney works really well and worth the 15 bucks.

I agree with Bman.  The weber is the best chimney, hands down, no question, but I could actually do without the extra pivoting rod handle.  Regardless of that, get one!

Craig

• WKC Mod
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2013, 07:53:11 AM »
Now you guys have me second guessing myself. I don't think I use my pivoting handle that much either, but at the end of the day, the Weber chimney is the best one made. Even people who don't have Weber kettles use them to light offset smokers, fireboxes and what not.  ;)

Johnpv

• WKC Ranger
Re: Re: Bars on Weber chimney
« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2013, 03:44:01 AM »

How much on Amazon?

They're 12.99 on Amazon.   For me it was the only place I could actually find one.  None of the retail chains in my area carry it or seem to have it in their system.   I love it though, it makes getting my initial starter coals for my snakes going so much easier.

HankB

• WKC Performer
« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2013, 06:07:46 AM »
Go big or go home!

http://www.amazon.com/Steven-Raichlen-Best-Barbecue-Ultimate/dp/B0007ZGUTI

:D

Truth be told, I use my mini chimney more than the regular size one. But I do like to watch Raichlen pull on his monstrous leather grill gloves, pick up this huge chumney and dump half a bag of lit lump on a 26" kettle to roast a chicken. ;)
kettles, smokers...