Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: First Time  (Read 4207 times)

smokeyjoeuk-ray

• Smokey Joe
First Time
« on: August 27, 2013, 01:01:47 AM »
Ok, here goes, my first time, and I have to say that i am putting the blame solely on Weber for this sore head this morning.

Nice and shiny.

To start off, I opted for chicken, it seemed the right thing to do.
A whole bird was spatchcocked and I also used some drumsticks, a garlic and herb butter was squished under the skin and they were left in the fridge for a few hours.

I also decided at the last minute(as ya do) to stuff some fresh figs with cheese and wrap them in bacon.

So the big moment came, man lighter in one hand, cold beer in the other, charcoal had been moved to the side, then into the center, then back to the side before I decided the center was the spot.

I used a couple of small pieces of a firelighter to start things off, it worked a treat except for the smell off them, I will try using paper next time.

Anyway, things went pretty much as I expected, probably better, I played with a thermometer, moved the coals around a bit and generally got the feel of it.

The first batch of chicken went on, drums first, they cooked better than I expected, took around half an hour and they were seriously juicy. before they came off, I put a few more drums on as well as the figs.

Then, as if by magic, my nephew and his wife turned up, so the nice quite introduction to bbq段ng was halted as we decided that to bbq properly, you need to consume large amounts of beer. ::)

Once the figs and drums had been cooked, the whole bird went on, I had to add a few extra coals to get the heat up again, but that also turned out a treat, I did plan on getting a few pics, but I can blame the beer for that.

Anyway, I enjoyed myself so much, that I am off to the butchers in a bit, I知 having another  go tonight. ;D

I need a red head in my life, and a roti ring.

kendoll

• WKC Ranger
Re: First Time
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2013, 01:08:53 AM »
And so it begins. :) Great first effort. How did you find managing temp control on the SJ?

Chicken looks good. Congrats.

Ken
Willing to trade first born for: *Ranger (any colour) *Westerner (yeah right)

*Imperial (Glen-Blue) *Brown GA

Chasing_smoke

• WKC Ranger
First Time
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2013, 01:27:24 AM »
Nice first cook Ray! Your going to be hooked in no time!

"my kettle is more powerful it will do almost anything."
MH Copper mist, Daisy Wheel P, Homer Simpson OTG, Blue 18, Blue Mastertouch, SJS, Genesis Sliver B, Red 18 Bar-b-q-kettle Pat Pending, Copper performer

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2013, 02:23:45 AM »

"I also decided at the last minute(as ya do) to stuff some fresh figs with cheese and wrap them in bacon."

Ray you & me are gonna get along just fine.........

Way to come blastin' off the starting line !!!!!!

"If you want it fancy there is BBQ spray paint at home depot for that. "
    Covered, damper-controlled cooking.....IF YOU PLEASE !!!
           "But the ever versatile kettle reigned supreme"    

smokeyjoeuk-ray

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2013, 03:48:31 AM »
thanks for the replies,

How did you find managing temp control on the SJ?
i managed ok to be honest, i was only using a meat thermometer( excuse to buy a new gadget ;)) so i cannot be really 100%.
initially i found it way to hot, went off the scale so lid was opened and coals moved, that found me getting around 200 over the drip tray, not sure of the temp over the actual coals.

i managed to keep it pretty steady except for one time when i needed to add more coal.

i have got a couple of pork chops and a whole bird in the fridge soaking up a jerk rub, i'll explore temps later when i fire up again.

kendoll

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2013, 03:56:37 AM »
Sweet. Maverick and/or Thermapen. :)

Some people prefer the silver with the bottom vent rather than those side vents. I haven't actually Cooke on my SJ yet, flogging my GA though. :)

Menu sounds good too.

Ken
Willing to trade first born for: *Ranger (any colour) *Westerner (yeah right)

*Imperial (Glen-Blue) *Brown GA

edhead35

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2013, 04:23:44 AM »
Figs and pork are just a great combo. The Italians have it right for sure when they mix prosciutto and figs with melon in between courses.

Ethang

• Smokey Joe
First Time
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2013, 11:18:28 AM »
These Webers are addictive. They get worse when you find out its really not anymore time or effort the propane. I have not used my gas grill at all since I got my kettle.

Now I am buying Thermapens and studying different cuts of meat.
The Weber is making it really hard to screw up dinner

Plastic has no soul

LightningBoldtz

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2013, 12:57:23 PM »
These Webers are addictive. They get worse when you find out its really not anymore time or effort the propane. I have not used my gas grill at all since I got my kettle.

Wait until you start researching all the popular accessories and finding the pro and cons of the smokenator, rotisserie, craycort grates, grillgrates.  It's fun for sure.
I am not a collector, but I do have a small collection.
"You can have everything in life you want if you will just help enough other people get what they want"

Ethang

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2013, 04:52:55 PM »

Wait until you start researching all the popular accessories and finding the pro and cons of the smokenator, rotisserie, craycort grates, grillgrates.  It's fun for sure.

I have,,, I just did not want to overwhelm the REALLY newbie.....a smokenator and a rotisserie are already on my radar...and a 26", and  a Rancher,....and a couple classic models, and a fireplace, and a gasser, ......
The Weber is making it really hard to screw up dinner

Plastic has no soul

LightningBoldtz

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2013, 05:04:48 PM »
Ethan,

Sounds like you have the bug.  Personally, I can see value in getting a 26 incher but I think a 37 incher Ranch is overkill.  Of course, my opinion is in question by a few here because of my recent Kamado purchase.    :)

If I can help you in anyway let me know.  Where you are in Mid Michigan is not far from me.
I am not a collector, but I do have a small collection.
"You can have everything in life you want if you will just help enough other people get what they want"

mike.stavlund

• WKC Performer
    • MikeStavlund.com
« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2013, 08:03:44 PM »
Ethang, LB is on probation around here, so exercise caution.  Let him help you for sure, but don't let him pull you into the Kamado Kult.

;-)
One of the charcoal people.

smokeyjoeuk-ray

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #12 on: August 28, 2013, 12:17:17 AM »
Cor blimey, I知 liking this, last night痴 effort turned out pretty good, the pork chops were a bit over cooked, but still juicy and tasted great with the jerk rub, they will be better next time.

The chicken also turned out ok, again the rub gave it plenty of flavor.

am getting the hang of things, i seemed to control the temp a lot better last night, it stayed pretty constant throughout.

anyway, It is cleaned and ready to go again, not sure if I値l get it on the go today but I am getting withdrawal symptoms already. ::)

Right, off to look at man gadgets accessories. :D

later.

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #13 on: August 28, 2013, 06:27:46 AM »

"POSSIBLE TAGLINE ALERT !!!"  

"It is cleaned and ready to go again, not sure if I値l get it on the go today but I am getting
     withdrawal symptoms already.  Right, off to look at man gadgets accessories."

Nice lookin' clucker, Ray !!!!

We're big on "Taglines"....or signature lines around here.....or at least I am......the above might fit nicely, if you so desire....... 8)

"If you want it fancy there is BBQ spray paint at home depot for that. "
    Covered, damper-controlled cooking.....IF YOU PLEASE !!!
           "But the ever versatile kettle reigned supreme"